The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 21, 2021, 10:05 AM   #1
taylorce1

So I bought this old .308

Back in the first week of June I bought a M700 BDL in .308 Winchester. Used but not abused rifle. It had seen better days, especially the stock. I only have one picture from the good side I'll post later, on the other there is a big chunk of toe missing. So much that it cut it down and put a recoil pad on would require reshaping the rear if the cheek piece. Also the red recoil pad is from a Ruger rifle, and I think that installation is what broke the toe.

Jimmy is a great guy that sold me this rifle so he disclosed everything and we agreed on the price of $500 for the rifle. Which with the current situation with Remington was a good deal and we both knew it. I was mainly buying for the 1981 action anyway, but this rifle had the chamber I was looking for. When I got back from Grand Junction I immediately ordered a Greyboe Outlander stock for this rifle and ran it to my gunsmith for a little alteration.

I'm having 4" taken off the barrel and threaded for an Silencer CO ASR muzzle brake, so I can use my Omega .300 Suppressor with this rifle. I'm hoping to use this rifle on my fall Black Bear and Elk hunt back over near Grand Junction. So Greyboe quoted me six weeks on my stock and I was having issues being patient, so I canceled my order and paid a little more for their Trekker stock they had in inventory that'll arrive this week. This stock is a departure from my more traditional hunting stocks that I usually buy. I don't know if I'll like it but, it's the lightest option from Greyboe at 23 ounces. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

I also managed to pick up two Trigger Tech Primary triggers over the 4th of July from optics Planet for $99 each. I've never tried TT before, but I hear good things. I do know they had some recalls recently on their other triggers, but they seem to be making things right.

Now I just have to figure out optics and mounting systems. I do have Burris 2 piece Picaitinny bases, but thinking I might want to go a full rail on this rifle. I've kind of narrowed down the scopes between the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10X40 HSR4 reticle or the Leupold VX Freedom 4-12X40 SF CDS Tri-MOA reticle. Both of these optics should keep this rifle in a reasonable weight range for packing while hunting.

More to follow as build progress.

Last edited by taylorce1; July 24, 2021 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old July 21, 2021, 10:39 AM   #2
Seedy Character

That Trekker is different. Maybe it will grow on you.

Have tried Trigger Tech, Timney is my go to, if needing a replacement. But, my M700 has a good, factory trigger. Haven't seen a need to replace it.

I have always preferred a one piece base. There may or may not be an actual advantage, but they appear stronger, more stable.

Keep the updates coming.
Old July 21, 2021, 11:08 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

You didn't mention it, so I'll assume you didn't bother to shoot the rifle any, before starting the modification work...is that right??
Old July 21, 2021, 10:00 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
You didn't mention it, so I'll assume you didn't bother to shoot the rifle any, before starting the modification work...is that right??
I'm collecting parts I want or need (new stock), other than cutting the barrel down I haven't modified anything yet. I fired one round after checking headspace, just to see what the brass looked like afterwards. I did not test for accuracy at all because I didn't see anything through Jimmy's bore scope that would indicate needing to replace the barrel. I've taken brand new rifles and stripped them down to just the receiver and bolt body before to rebuild, so I guess I really don't see the point you're trying to make?
Old July 21, 2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Colorado Redneck

Quote:

Quote:
so I guess I really don't see the point you're trying to make?

If you are investing time, money and planning to use the rifle for a hunt, maybe 44AMP was wondering as I am, will the gun shoot satisfactorly?
Old July 21, 2021, 11:00 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

All I was really wondering was, did you shoot it so you know what you might be losing or gaining?

I'm sure your rebuild will end with the rifle performing to what you want for accuracy, but it might have done that before. Without shooting it, you'll never know for certain....

Not a big deal. I once got a Swede carbine that I only test fired with 2 rnds. Wound up trading it off and the guy who got it shot a group you could cover with a dime at 100yds, off a rolled up fieldjacket on the hood of his truck. Had I known the gun shot that well I wouldn't have let it go. Entirely my fault, and since then, I always shoot everything at least enough to know what I have, before selling, trading or modifying.
Old July 21, 2021, 11:48 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
All I was really wondering was, did you shoot it so you know what you might be losing or gaining?
What would be worse having the rifle shoot well MOA or less before cutting the barrel down and threading, and it shoot 2+ MOA afterwards and nothing fixes it? Or just cutting down the barrel and starting with no baseline? I have a safe full of capable backup rifles if this rifle won't shoot, it isn't like it is going to ruin any of my hunts this year.
Old July 22, 2021, 11:41 AM   #8
jmr40

Just because it looked good through a bore scope doesn't mean it will shoot. I'd have shot it for accuracy before doing anything. You're going to end up with an awful expensive rifle with a barrel of unknown accuracy. With everything else you're doing a new barrel just isn't that much more. I'd prefer to know before I put the time and effort into putting it together.

Winston Churchill
Old July 22, 2021, 04:04 PM   #9
Bart B.

A friend bought a scoped 30-06 with a DWM 1909 Mauser action. He asked me to check it out as its best 100 yard groups were 3 MOA plus.

Bore looked brand new. Slugged it with lead balls that mic'ed about .313" diameter; proof it was made for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser cartridge then rechambered.

Last edited by Bart B.; July 22, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old July 22, 2021, 04:51 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
Just because it looked good through a bore scope doesn't mean it will shoot
What it told me is I didn't see was a roached out throat with heat cracks, or extreme tool marks. That told me the barrel was probably okay, and that I had a good chance to find acceptable accuracy. If for some reason the rifle needs a different barrel I'll put one on it at that time.
Old July 24, 2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Scorch

Quote:
Slugged it with lead balls that mic'ed about .313" diameter; proof it was made for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser cartridge then rechambered.
That was common enough back in the day, especially with desirable actions like the 1909 Argentine. People who were eager or didn't know anything about guns would snatch them up and then whine about how it didn't shoot. But this is a factory rifle, factory hammer-forged barrel, so I expect it will shoot MOA or so. Once it's cut down it might shoot better, it might shoot worse. But if it's awful, a new barrel is not terribly expensive. Let's see how it works out! Carry on, taylorce!
Old July 25, 2021, 02:16 PM   #12
hooligan1

I tried to trade him out of that rifle so he wouldnt have to go through any of this...he told me no way, and that his plan was to cut and suppress it for a lightweight, dandy hunting rifle.
I would've built an M40 on it...lol
Old July 30, 2021, 02:45 PM   #13
taylorce1

Stock came in ½ ounce over advertised weight.

Old July 30, 2021, 04:14 PM   #14
hooligan1

Thats nice!
Old July 31, 2021, 08:35 AM   #15
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan1
Thats nice!
It even has a spirit level embedded at the tang, to keep you shootin level. It's pretty tiny though, gonna be hard to see through my glasses.

I did order up a 3-10X42 Night Force SHV with MOAR reticle for it. I should have that in the next 7-10 days.
Old August 6, 2021, 11:59 PM   #16
taylorce1

Scope showed up in the mail yesterday.

It's my first NF scope, and I'm excited to try it.
Old August 7, 2021, 07:15 AM   #17
std7mag

I'm not too sure how you could go wrong with a Nightforce.
Any Nightforce!

I appreciate the link to Greyboe! I like the looks of their stocks. Pricing isn't too bad either!
Just wish they inletted for Ruger & Savage.

Taylorce1 has been going shorter & lighter with his builds.
I've been going longer & heavier with mine.
He still puts together some nice builds!

I'm in the planning stages for an ELR/ULR build.
The adjustable scope base is easily as much as his donor rifle or stock.
Depending on which i choose possibly both combined.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 7, 2021, 10:55 AM   #18
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
Taylorce1 has been going shorter & lighter with his builds.
I've been going longer & heavier with mine.
He still puts together some nice builds!
As always there are many different opinions on what ideal rifles are. I don't have time to dedicate to true long range shooting. I like hunting much more than punching paper and steel, but they're a close second. 600 yards capable is more than enough for me and what I like doing. As always I appreciate the compliments on my rifles and builds.

You might want to start investing in Zermatt/Bighorn Origin actions, Savage threads for barrels, interchangeable bolt heads, and Rem 700 footprint for stocks, triggers, and bottom metal options. I've looked pretty hard at them, especially since there aren't a lot of light weight stock options for Savage. McMillan won't do anything other than magnum fill for Savage actions, and Manners doesn't work with Savage short actions. It's getting pretty hard to find a reasonable priced Savage donor these days as well.
Old August 7, 2021, 11:47 AM   #19
ndking1126

Interesting build! You're a little more adventurous than me going with the trekker stock. Best of luck on the hunt. I'm going in season 2 around Dolores this year. It'll be my first rifle elk hunt.
Old August 7, 2021, 03:06 PM   #20
Scorch

Quote:
As always there are many different opinions on what ideal rifles are.
I pretty much focus on "how does it shoot?"
Old August 7, 2021, 04:37 PM   #21
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
I pretty much focus on "how does it shoot?"
Touché!
Old August 7, 2021, 07:31 PM   #22
BornFighting88

I like single piece scope mounts, as I believe they are stronger, too. They bridge the receiver gap, and more importantly, I find that it keeps a single line for the scope and rings. How true that actually is (receiver holes could be drilled and tapped just a dash off kilter), I don’t rightly know. But having a single line of mounting rings, immediately sold. I don’t spend a lot of time top loading rounds (CRF action) so having something spanning the open top is no loss to me.
Old August 14, 2021, 10:19 AM   #23
taylorce1

Well the rifle is all put together, and I got a chance to fire a few rounds through it at 150 yards. Groups weren't great using cheap PPU 150 grain ammunition, but I think there is some potential here for a great shooting rifle. I didn't shoot much as it was nearly 100⁰ outside and was just using a bipod and shooting on BLM ground in UT while out looking for areas to hunt elk this fall.

Top group was the first, and bottom was the last group I shot once on paper.

Old August 14, 2021, 02:25 PM   #24
Scorch

It's definitely "minute of deer"! Work with it and see if you can find some ammo it likes better.
Old August 17, 2021, 05:50 AM   #25
hooligan1

Some 168 grain accubonds and Varget would be a great combo.