The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 23, 2021, 09:38 AM   #26
Seedy Character

I agree with most of what has been said.

I don't shop at wally Wawa. I don't have unlimited funds, but I expect a certain level of value for my hard earned dollars. Cheap craps doesn't fit my expectations.

An 1873 Colt sold for $20-$25. In today's dollars, $2000-$25000. Comparable. Today's fit and finish, machining and metalurgy improvement, would make a new Colt a better value. IMHO
Disposable income is a major component, though. The "nessities" vying for that income.

To compete companies have changed. What is the best selling pistol? Plastic.
AR lowers? Plastic

Remington 870 Wingmaster vs Express.
Pre-64 Win 94 vs newer.
Ruger Single Six vs Wrangler

Billet vs sintered metal / cast

High polish, dark, rich bluing = hours of hand polishing

Hand rubbed oil finish on hand checkered Walnut stock vs molded plastic / bolt on.

Not much different than 100 years ago, the masses bought a Ford or Chevy or those who looked at Lincoln or Caddy.

Last edited by Seedy Character; July 23, 2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old July 24, 2021, 12:40 PM   #27
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongCameJones View Post
So, it's not like product makers have forgotten how to make decent-looking things. The corporate executives just want to stuff their fat faces with profits. My former 1995-vintage Mossberg 500 retailed about $300 new and the trademark stamping and bluing was more than satisfactory to me then and the price was still modest.

I'm real crazy about cosmetics. My mother punished me at age nine for sloppy handwriting. She was Catholic-school-educated in the 1940's.
She once threatened to slap my head right off my body because I was signing a birthday card for my grandmother and the cursive capital G wasn't neat. My mother had sticks and spoons to beat me up. My father was raised old-fashioned too. My parents were spank happy.

Do children these days even know the term "penmanship"?
When it comes to "Penmanship", it is notable that no one writes with a pen and ink anymore and the only cursive needed in our society is one's signature. In sum, penmanship is obsolete, having been replaced with keyboarding. However, I do not know how any of that can be generalized to the subject of firearm manufacturing.