The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2021, 09:56 AM   #1
Snipe

Peterson Brass 6.5 Creedmoore

Will it be safe to reload and shoot brass that measures 1.900 after resizing? This was new brass that was trimmed to 1.905 fired five times and resized, now they measure 1.900.

Thanks,
Snipe
Old July 4, 2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You are fine. The SAAMI spec calls for 1.900" to 1.920" case length, so you aren't even outside the commercial ammo limits. The standard trim-to length is in the middle of that range at 1.910".

When you say you fired five times and then resized, I assume you were neck sizing for the five reloads. If the trim was done to the new, unfired brass, expansion to fill your chamber could well pull the neck in. Growth in resized cases happens because of pressure ring stretching, but with neck sizing, you won't have that after the first firing. So I don't think this is particularly strange. If you go through the same cycle again, I would expect a little growth after the next resizing.

Note that the SAAMI minimum case length isn't magic. It's just part of ammunition standardization which generally assumes the use of bullets with cannelures that will be crimped. The neck length range needs to be controlled for crimping so the alignment of the cannelure doesn't require you to seat the bullet too deeply and give up powder space or raise pressure. For handloads that you load singly, you can put the bullet and neck anywhere that works safely. Letting the neck get too long and jam into the throat is a bad idea because of its potential to affect the pressure. But if your neck were below 1.900", you would mainly be sacrificing the amount of hold on your bullet, but not doing damage.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 4, 2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Snipe

Sorry I wasn't clear. I fl resized the new brass, then I trimmed all of them to 1.905 because that was the average size in the lot. Shot the round then fl resized them each time but I haven't trimmed again. Now they are measuring 1.900.
Old July 4, 2021, 01:04 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

No worries, you are still at recommended min length.
Old July 5, 2021, 08:06 PM   #5
RC20

A bit odd to shrink but I over trim mine so I don't have to trim so often.
Old July 6, 2021, 04:19 AM   #6
Snipe

Thank guys I thought it was strange also, Ill run with it.
Old July 6, 2021, 07:55 PM   #7
603Country

It really is no big deal, the brass being a bit short. Once upon a Super Bowl I was trimming 220 Swift cases and not paying attention to what I was doing. I trimmed em way too short. But, being the only 220 brass I had, I loaded them up and used them time and again. No degradation in accuracy either.
Old July 7, 2021, 09:53 PM   #8
kilotanker22

I ran Peterson brass in my 6.5 Creedmoor, before I switched over to Lapua. I remember some of mine shrinking after firing. I also recall that the Peterson brass did not seem to grow much at all.

I screwed up and even trimmed some much shorter than they should be by accident. I did not have any real issues, except for a loss in velocity and opening up my extreme spread. I presume this was due to the decreased grip on the bullet by the neck. All else was equal
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old July 10, 2021, 05:53 PM   #9
hooligan1

I use Starline lp brass in my rifle, its consitent and has performed nicely with several powder/ bullet combos.
Also my rifle tends to like annealed brass, who knows why, I dont care.