The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 11, 2021, 03:33 PM   #1
ATN082268

Background checks...

While in a gun store I heard someone mention that stuff like tickets and child support can get you denied in a background check. Are there any civil violations that can get a Constitutional right revoked and if so, how long?
Old June 11, 2021, 04:26 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Not unless you live in a state that has its own criteria. The only things that will result in a NICS denial are positive answers to questions on the 4473.
Old June 11, 2021, 10:33 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Are there any civil violations that can get a Constitutional right revoked and if so, how long?
Generally no, but not impossible in a "may issue" state where a permit is required and the issuing judge has total discretion.

I heard of a case where a judge yanked a guy's pistol permit, not do to actual criminal violations, but due to an extensive pattern of traffic offenses and uncivil behavior. Always short of an actual criminal offense, but the judge ruled his behavior constituted a blatant disregard for public safety and the rule of law, and revoked his pistol permit.

On a federal level, it takes a criminal conviction (or a judge's ruling you are mentally unfit) to become a prohibited person. It does not have to be a felony conviction, misdemeanor domestic violence conviction will get your firearms rights pulled, for life thanks to the Lautenberg act.
Old June 12, 2021, 01:35 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Generally no, but not impossible in a "shall issue" state where a permit is required and the issuing judge has total discretion.
To me, such a state is a "may issue" state, not a "shall issue" state.
Jeepaholic
Old June 12, 2021, 11:32 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

You are correct, I wrote the wrong word. I have edited my post to correct it.