The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 26, 2021, 11:19 PM   #1
Metal god

Bit of a problem with a familial transfer in CA

The short version is I screwed up , period !

OK now that we've got that out of the way . My dad past away a couple years ago and I sent in the paperwork to transfer his two rifles ( bolt action and AR-15 ) I received confirmation the bolt gun was successfully transferred but the Spikes Tactical 223 wylde was not . CA wanted more info to include pictures along with other things like firearms safety card all with in 30days of receiving that letter . Which at the time my FSC had expired and we were just beginning the COVID lockdowns . There was no way I was going to some random store to take a test with this new killer virus floating in the air .

Needless to say my 30 days has past and I just received another letter saying my transfer was denied .

What is a complete report of ownership compared to the familial transfer I tried ?

Oh and the big problem is the Firearm is no longer a functioning firearm . I sold and or traded most of the parts during COVID and it's only a stripped lower now . Can I just send in a report of ownership for the stripped lower or are they going to flag it because it's in there system originally as a complete rifle .

Actually my dad bought the stripped lower and we put it together our selves from parts ordered online so actually it was originally registered as a long gun receiver only . However when I first tried the transfer I documented it as a fully functioning firearm which it is not once again . Yep I refer you to the first sentence in the post

So now what , just call that number if I have questions or call a lawyer

PS , this letter seems to indicate they only wanted my CDL and FSC , That is wrong they also wanted upwards of 5 different pics of the rifle from multiple angles .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 27, 2021, 06:30 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Call a lawyer familiar with both firearms and firearms law. I know we're expensive, but it could cost a whole lot more than money to NOT have a lawyer. Do this now, as there may be an appeals process, and if there is, it's almost certainly time-limited.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:06 AM   #3
Metal god

Yep I was thinking the same thing . However cost is a big issue for me . Not so much cost for cost sake but rather the lower is only worth $100 tops . I don't see the point of spending $3-$400 just to keep it . I'm really (at this point ) willing to just give it up to make this all go away before spending hundreds of dollars on it .

I have a friend that is currently a plaintiff in the ammo case here in CA maybe I can speak with there lawyer for some quick general questions and keep the cost down , worth a try .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 28, 2021, 06:33 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I totally understand not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars to keep a hundred. Completely understandable. Still, give that lawyer a quick call. You may or may not get a quick, and hopefully free, consult, but it does not cost you anything to make the initial call.