The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
WSM MAGNUM

Winchester Model 70

This is a Winchester Model 70 in .222. I made a trade with a friend in the early eighties for this rifle and a hangun. I would like to know exactly what grade this is. On the barrel it is marked as Model 70 XTR. On the left side of the stock there it is sort of monte carlo style. I do know this is a post '64.
Is this a super grade of some type?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB250004 (Small).JPG (51.5 KB, 2465 views)
File Type: jpg PB250005 (Small).JPG (55.5 KB, 2028 views)
File Type: jpg PB250006 (Small).JPG (55.9 KB, 1730 views)

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 28, 2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Scorch

Like you said, you have a Model 70 XTR. The XTR series rifles were a little bit glossier with nicer wood and better metal finish than the standard Model 70. They were made from the late 1970s to the mid-1980's (not sure of the exact years). There is nothing special about them other than the finish and a few chamberings that were specific to the XTR rifles.
Old November 28, 2006, 08:54 PM   #3
WSM MAGNUM

I was trying to look up this model in the books and on the internet for info, but nothing comes up. What I would like to know is what grade is this of the XTR series. Is it a varminter, super grade, or.....?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 30, 2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Scorch

It is not a Super Grade, it is an XTR. That is the grade. They had pretty nice wood and cut checkering, and cost about $75 more than a standard grade Model 70 when they were brand new. They were shiny and had that plastic forend cap, and some people loved them. Others didn't like them and thought they were trying to copy Remington's rifles with the high-gloss finish. On the gun auction sites, they sell for the same price as a standard Model 70 unless they are like new. Yours looks pretty nice from the pics.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
kixonrt66

Winchester Model 70 XTR

I just bought a 1970's era Winchester XTR Model 70 rifle from Gun Broker. I don't have it in my hands yet so I can't get a good measurement. The gun is chambered in .308 Winchester and I'd like to buy a Redfield one piece scope base for it. My question is: For scope base purposes, is this a short action or long action gun. It looks like a long action from the pictures but I'm not sure.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Kix
Old April 10, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
HuntAndFish

Quote:
Kix
Just FYI. You are highjacking the OP's thread. If you have a question, create your own thread and ask your question. You'll get better responses.

ETA: Welcome to TFL.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:42 PM   #7
PetahW

IIRC, the XTR's only had the "extra" finish on metal and wood (+ checkering, etc) - but not the forend tip.

You have what looks like a Model 70 Deluxe, made from 1964 to 1971, when it was designated the Standard model.

The Deluxe was never offered in .222, but the Standard was, so your rifle is most likely a post-71 Standard XTR.

Super Grades were so marked, on the floorplate.

Old April 12, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
kixonrt66

Winchester MOdel 70 XTR

Hello HuntAndFish,

You are correct sir, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. My apologies to all.

Regarding WSM MAGNUM's 222 model XTR...I did some research...in the current Blue Book of gun values it does list a Winchester Model 70 labeled as an XTR and having a black plastic tip on the stock from '69 to '71 IIRC. The model designation was changed to the standard model in '72 and was no longer marked as an XTR. These early '70's Standard models retained all the attributes of the former XTR model...the black plastic tip on the stock, cut checkering, better polish and blue on the metal and a Monte Carlo style stock and glossy finish. The black plastic tip on the stock of these early '70's models was angled at the back and was separated from the wood by a white liner. They also had a black plastic pistol grip cap and black plastic butt plate wich also had a white liner. These guns were all obviously push feed variety and barrel lengths varied with the chamberings. After late 1974, Winchester changed the Standard model again to plainer wood with a satin finish, pressed checkering, less polish on the metal, no black plastic tip on the stock, and an overall plainer, more utilitarian look.

This information comes from The Blue Book of Gun Values and from several 1968-1975 vintage winchester catalogs.

Kix

Last edited by kixonrt66; April 13, 2009 at 09:46 AM.