The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 11, 2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Scoits

Want an AR-NEED help

Have thought about buying an AR 5/56 for some time. Am a senior senior citizen who served in the USMC during and in the Korean conflict. My weapon at the time was the Garand.
I know nothing about the ARs but want a 16” barrel for home defense and punching holes in paper. Do not want to do a lot of after market conversion andbelieve I want gas operation.
Help will be appreciated.
Old November 11, 2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

1. Colt H-Bar. Pre-ban model >6600 is undoubtedly the best and will gain value over the years. Everything else?

simply marketplace clones.
BTW: Thank you, for stepping up to serve.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 11, 2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Targa

There is something to be said about clones and this is one of the better ones at this price, just need to pick up a few mags and a rear sight https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...RO%2bPRECISION. Whatever you decide, I wouldn't wait to long. After recent events and now with "conservative" voices questioning why we need semi automatic rifles, I see prices going up and availability going down.
X2 for your service and happy Veteran's Day sir.

Last edited by Targa; November 11, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Sharkbite

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday Marine!!

Smith and Wesson and Ruger both make good quality basic AR’s at reasonable price points. Give em a look.
Old November 11, 2017, 10:16 AM   #5
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoits View Post
Have thought about buying an AR 5/56 for some time. Am a senior senior citizen who served in the USMC during and in the Korean conflict. My weapon at the time was the Garand.

I know nothing about the ARs but want a 16” barrel for home defense and punching holes in paper. Do not want to do a lot of after market conversion andbelieve I want gas operation.

Thank you for your service. Nothing wrong with the Garand.

The Carbine or standard M4 would serve you well. Prices for AR-15s are dirt cheap these days.

The Colt 6920 is an excellent rifle/Carbine.

You can also check out Palmetto State Armory for serious deals for their builds which go from budget up to higher end precision.

Another option for Home defense without requiring an NFA is an AR-15 pistol in a 10.5” Barrel. You can get a Stabilizer or Shockwave Blade for the back end (you can’t put a stock on one). It is very easy to maneuver and the prices are very reasonable. Apart from a shotgun for HD, I prefer an AR pistol for weight and maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 11, 2017, 11:06 AM   #6
SanchoPanza

Colt AR6720

Rudyard Kipling The Betrothed
Old November 11, 2017, 11:08 AM   #7
SanchoPanza

Lightweight & Reliable

Rudyard Kipling The Betrothed
Old November 11, 2017, 02:13 PM   #8
marine6680

I second the Aero Precision... It is a good rifle for the money. I also prefer the midlength gas system setup. I feel it is the best for a 16in barreled rifle. Plus you get a bit more room on the handguard.

A basic Colt 6920 would also work well. If weight is a concern, the 6720 has a lighter weight barrel.

Most rifles will need to be equipped with a rear sight. There are many good options in the $50-100 range... You can spend more if you want.

For defense use, I suggest a good red dot sight. (Unless you have a bad astigmatism in your shooting eye)

An always on and ready model like an Aimpoint PRO is my suggestion. You turn it on and leave it on. It has a battery life measured in years, but change the battery yearly, like you do a smoke detector... Just in case.

There are cheaper options than the Aimpoint, that I would say are good for the job.

Next for defense, a good light in the 200 lumens range. Setup with a pressure switch is a good way to go. This Streamlight Protac rail mount is a good option.

You may need to swap the handguards for something like some Magpul SL versions... As you will need a way to mount the light. The standard GI style handguards are not really well suited for modularity.

The Magpul handguards can accept pieces or rail or special light mounts. They are inexpensive as well.

Really, its down to how much do you want to spend... You Can spend a minimum, or spend exorbitant amounts on an AR.

Boiled down...

A basic carbine with an always on red dot sight, and a flashlight, is a good way to go.
Old November 11, 2017, 05:35 PM   #9
BigBL87

I'd look at getting an upper and lower from Palmetto State Armory. For a basic AR, which it sounds like that's all you really need.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/compl...c-edition.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...cg-and-ch.html

Push a few pins and for $430, you have a good basic setup and alot of money left to spend on optics/ammo/etc.. My personal opinion, it doesn't sound like you need a full on mil-spec rifle, much less a premium rifle. That being said, it's your money and if you want/have the money to spend on a higher spec rifle, more power to you.

If you need mil-spec-ish and are willing to pay more, a Colt 6920 is the go-to for most people, although I'd probably go with an Aero Precision myself.

For optics, an Aimpoint as recommended above is a good bet. If you don't want you spend that much, Primary Arms has a red dot with 50,000 battery life that is pretty well regarded.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ry-life-md-ads

I personally have a low power variable scope, but mine is not a primary option for home defense and if it were I'd have a red dot on it.

For a light, a Streamlight Protac Rail Mount would fit the bill IMO without killing the pocket book. Bonus, it is a duel fuel light so you can use 123 batteries or AA.

http://m.streamlight.com/en/products...c-rail-mount-1

Last edited by BigBL87; November 11, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old November 11, 2017, 06:48 PM   #10
zukiphile

Quote:
1. What is your budget?

2. Do you belong to an American Legion post with someone that might assemble one for you?

3. Have you already shopped in a store or a show for an AR? What appealed to you?

4. Don't take this the wrong way, but I've two partners of your vintage. Will you be able to use iron sights? What kinds of sights do you like on your other rifles?
Old November 11, 2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Scoits

To answer some questions: budget around $1000, no do not belong to any ex military organizations, have talked with one sales guy briefly but he had limited info. I can still use irons but recently have put a couple of red dots on hand guns. It made a diff in my grouping.
I do shoot every week and most of the time at a indoor range. Shoot 357 and 44 mag both loaded to about 80%. Have an 18” shotgun rigged. But feel I should pickup a ar-15 for future purposes.

By the way THANK YOU all of you who have been kind enough to offer advice. APPRECIATED!1
Old November 11, 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
ms6852

I agree with SharkBite. Check the Smith and Wesson or the Rugers. Everything already setup great rifles for their price point. You can pay more but why. I personally own a Rock River Arms for long distance calls, and a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 for home defense. I have a red-dot mounted on the one for home defense cheap $250 but a great scope the Vortex Strikefire prism in 3X.
Old November 11, 2017, 07:35 PM   #13
michaelc246

Get an M&P 15 Sport II... Great rifle that is simple and won't break the bank! It will do everything you need it to.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesso...5-56mm-16.html
Old November 11, 2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Nathan

Frankly, I would be looking for a built AR, if I were in your shoes.

The Colt 6920 is the gold standard, but a tad heavy.

I would go to your best stocking AR retailer and ask for:
A mid gas 14.5"(pinned)-16" barreled carbine with MOE furniture.. Something with a lightweight barrel (0.625" gas block). Ask them to put in an ALG ACT trigger and mount Vortex Strikefire or Aimpoint PRO.

Should be out the door with the Strikefire for $900 or $1150 with the Aimpoint. Putting the upper to the lower and mounting the optic could get it together for $750-850 on Black Friday with the Aimpoint. Get on PSA's mailing list now?
Old November 11, 2017, 08:20 PM   #15
O4L

I would go with the Aero Precision posted above or the OEM version that comes without the handgaurd or butt stock. If you go with the OEM you can save some money up front and then choose the furniture you like to customize it a little.

Good luck in choosing your AR!
Old November 11, 2017, 08:58 PM   #16
zukiphile

Quote:
To answer some questions: budget around $1000, no do not belong to any ex military organizations, have talked with one sales guy briefly but he had limited info. I can still use irons but recently have put a couple of red dots on hand guns. It made a diff in my grouping.
I do shoot every week and most of the time at a indoor range. Shoot 357 and 44 mag both loaded to about 80%. Have an 18” shotgun rigged. But feel I should pickup a ar-15 for future purposes.
From all this, I gather that you don't mind recoil and have pretty good vision perhaps with a less than normal degree of presbyopia.

Within your budget, you could order a complete upper from PSA and a complete lower, a modestly priced red dot or a scope that will dial down to 1x and a thousand rounds of ammunition.

I would recommend looking only at barrels that a melonited or nitrided or nitro carburized (a process that makes the barrel surface harder and easier to clean) or chrome lined (serves the same purpose). I would avoid phosphated barrels.

You chose the right time to do this. The market is flooded with parts that will make a reliable general purpose carbine.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:37 PM   #17
Chainsaw.

Thank you for your service young man. They call the Korean war the forgotten war but not in this household.

About an AR for ya. At a budget of $1000 you can get a good piece these days. Aero would be my suggestion, I shoot with several of tgere inside guys, they are making rifles that are good to go. Find something you like and run it!
Old November 11, 2017, 10:39 PM   #18
Emerson Biggies

I saw a Bushmaster on line yesterday for $399.95
Old November 12, 2017, 01:10 PM   #19
SDF880

There are quite a few out there you'll be happy with!

Anderson Rifles AR-15 basic and has exceeded my expectations!

Doublestar - same as above!

Palmetto State Armory AR's

DPMS Good basic AR no issues

Perhaps the best of my basic models Aero Precision! Very pleased with AP!

I hear very good things about Windham!

I agree with the other types posted above.
Old November 12, 2017, 10:32 PM   #20
marine6680

All in for $1000?

The aero precision linked above. $600

Swap the handguard for a set of Magpul MOE... $30... You can change the stock and grip if you want as well. That's about another $50... I prefer the grip angle of the SL or K grip.

Get a Magpul cantilever m-lok light mount. $15

Get the Streamlight protac rail mount 1L. $100

Sig Romeo 5 red dot. $150 on sale at Primary Arms

Magpul MBUS folding rear sight. $50

And a few 30 round mags.

You could save a bit and go with another brand rifle, like the PSA Freedom line they have on sale for $450... But the Aero is the better rifle.
Old November 13, 2017, 04:04 AM   #21
gshayd

You have a wide variety to choose from these days from $400 and up. If I went PSA I would stick with the freedom rifles and up. The question to answer is what is your budget for an AR 15 ad a red dot Optic for it?
Old November 13, 2017, 02:07 PM   #22
Stats Shooter

Scoits

There are so many AR makers out there, so many variations, and so many accessories, that there will literally be no consensus on specifically what to tell you. So I will be general enough that and try to help you make an informed decision.

First, a total $1,000 budget, in this market, is enough to get a good quality gun and optic.

Since you are a former soldier (I am former navy myself), and being a Garrand man, I don't think you are the kind of guy who wants a bunch of stuff hanging off his gun getting in the way and adding weight. Second of all, for a self defense gun, and an accurate plinker, and with a $1,000 budget, there is no reason to buy a low budget rifle. Get a quality rifle. I got out of the budget gun buying once I didn't need to buy budget guns anymore.

Here is one setup and ready to go, as is with iron sights.

Here is one that is discounted because it was supposed to be sold to the Mexican Government. But they didn't need it so it is being sold here....$699.99 is a steal for a Colt LE6920. And IT is the standard by which all AR's are measured. At that price you could throw on a Simple co-witness red dot and you are in business with a rifle that has been tried, tested, and true.

I'm just not a fan of low budget, cheap guns. I have several dozen firearms, but if I didn't have the means, quantity would suffer but not quality.
Old November 13, 2017, 02:54 PM   #23
Reloadron

Well Semper Fi there Marine. You certainly pre date myself when the rifle was the M14 in boot. When I got to Nam in 72 it was the M16. Maybe it was nostalgia but I do own a M1A as well as a Colt SP1 which is about as close as I'll get to what I had in Vietnam. Personally I like the Colt guns but get whatever trips your trigger and you find visually appealing. I happen to like my AR rifles plain and simple. The Colt SP1 rifles closely resemble the early Vietnam era rifles, the Colt Sporters are also nice and as mentioned the MT6600 Colt guns are nice. That said there are no shortage of less expensive other brand names out there which will function just fine for your intended application. The rifles I mentioned would be found used and not new in a store.

Ron
Old November 13, 2017, 03:01 PM   #24
stangbangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi View Post
Scoits

There are so many AR makers out there, so many variations, and so many accessories, that there will literally be no consensus on specifically what to tell you. So I will be general enough that and try to help you make an informed decision.

First, a total $1,000 budget, in this market, is enough to get a good quality gun and optic.

Since you are a former soldier (I am former navy myself), and being a Garrand man, I don't think you are the kind of guy who wants a bunch of stuff hanging off his gun getting in the way and adding weight. Second of all, for a self defense gun, and an accurate plinker, and with a $1,000 budget, there is no reason to buy a low budget rifle. Get a quality rifle. I got out of the budget gun buying once I didn't need to buy budget guns anymore.

Here is one setup and ready to go, as is with iron sights.

Here is one that is discounted because it was supposed to be sold to the Mexican Government. But they didn't need it so it is being sold here....$699.99 is a steal for a Colt LE6920. And IT is the standard by which all AR's are measured. At that price you could throw on a Simple co-witness red dot and you are in business with a rifle that has been tried, tested, and true.

I'm just not a fan of low budget, cheap guns. I have several dozen firearms, but if I didn't have the means, quantity would suffer but not quality.

That’s a great deal. I have a couple of budget rifles, but a Colt at that price is hard to beat.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:08 PM   #25
Stats Shooter

Quote:
That’s a great deal. I have a couple of budget rifles, but a Colt at that price is hard to beat.
@stagpanther

That's what I'm saying. The PSA's and other AR'S are fine... especially if you are doing some custom set up, or different chambering. Because all of us already have that one AR in the gun cabinet that we would grab to save our butts with.

But this guy, the OP, has no AR's. And if you are only going to have one to shoot targets and defend the home front with. Are you going to grab the Aero? The PSA? Or the colt LE 6920? And at those prices, if you didn't have one you almost can't afford not to!

Last edited by Stats Shooter; November 13, 2017 at 07:30 PM.