The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 25, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
srtrax

photos x 2

O.K. guys i've got the uploading down, and got to the point to where everything is between the Img and the /Img and the cursor is flashing between them but their not downloading on the post. I can see them but no body else can. Two uploaded pictures just disapeared..didnt delete, vanished into the twilight zone. so what gives?
Old April 25, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

If you're referring to the Ruger #1 thread, srtrax, I noted that you used [URL] tags rather than the proper [IMG]. I attempted to fix it, but it's still specifying an "improper attachment". I'm guessing that you may not have copied the entire link between the tags, but I couldn't access that to check it.

The picture in your first post in that thread is still very much there. For those that couldn't see it, the problem has to be on their end.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 25, 2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

srtrax - You keep placing the URL of attachments in your posts, but for the life of me, I don't see where you have uploaded them. Which posts contain the actual attachments? You're not deleting them after they've been uploaded, are you?
Old April 26, 2007, 11:07 AM   #4
srtrax

No sir, i'm not deleting them, if memory serves me i have UPLOADED 3 , even told me that i had 2 at one time and that it was useing such and such space, then the next time i went in ...ZAP, not there.
All in the Ruger #1 Post...Damned if i know what happened to em!
Old April 26, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm. I seem to recall this happening before, and if memory serves, the problem centered around the software test forum.

By chance, did you upload the photos while in the test forum? If so, try uploading them from the actual forum you're posting in. I think files uploaded in the test forum are only temporary, but Mal's more experienced with this stuff than I am. Could that be it, Mal?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 26, 2007, 03:07 PM   #6
srtrax

You know, i think we did most of our testing first and did it on the test sight. Thanks for the info.
Old April 26, 2007, 03:15 PM   #7
srtrax

All tests we done are on the test sight still, What i don't understand is why some can still see 1st pic. at the top of post and some can't. I'm new to this forum stuff, and did'nt get the full impact, but don/t let me bring up the word "zombies at work".
Old April 26, 2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Charlie's right, don't use the test forum for anything but testing. Any pix or threads in that forum are not permanent. However, that isn't the root cause of your problem in this case. I haven't cleaned out the test forum for a while, so if you uploaded in the past month or so, they should still be there - they're not. Someone is deleting them, and it isn't a moderator. That doesn't leave many who might be doing it.

If you wish, I can look over your shoulder, so to speak, the next time you upload a picture. Just let me know when it's going to happen and maybe I'll spot what's going wrong.
Old April 26, 2007, 06:53 PM   #9
srtrax

Sounds good Mal ,and thanks to the staff! I know i did'nt delete any of the pics. sooooo....i'll let ya ya know when, at the moment i need a break.
Old April 26, 2007, 07:08 PM   #10
srtrax

O.K. you asked for it and here we go, i'll up load a picture to the Ruger #1 post.
Old April 26, 2007, 07:20 PM   #11
srtrax

Mal H: I can see it on my side, hope others can? Did i do good?
Old April 26, 2007, 07:40 PM   #12
srtrax

I cry uncle
Old April 26, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Well, you see, I have to be online at the time to do the experiment in real time. I wasn't.

In post #41 of the Ruger #1 thread you linked to an image of attachmentid 24058. However, that attachment is not in that post (it would show up as a thumbnail at the bottom of the post). Did you upload it in that post or in a different one? It is not visible and it is not a valid attachment, at least not now.

I think it might be good if you go over your procedure of uploading an attachment here so we can see what's happening on your side of it, step by step.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...chmentid=24058

I saw in your other post where you said you are not a drinking man. Ever thought of taking it up?
Old April 27, 2007, 10:51 AM   #14
srtrax

Yes Sir,everyday
Old April 27, 2007, 03:10 PM   #15
srtrax

When we upload a photo we go to the post we want the picture on, then we go to manage attatchments under the additional options section. Next we get a pop up screen and we click browse to find the picture we want. we click the upload button next we wait while it goes to the server. Now we go to the "user cp'' and we click on that, now click ''miscellaneous'' now at the bottom click attatchments, it gives us a list of all the pictures we've uploaded. we find the picture we want and right click on the file name. we click ''properties'' now we get the picture address (url) now we copy it all and go back to the post left click where we want the picture to go on the post then we go to the little yellow box with the mountain and the sun and click it, a popup comes up somehthing incripted so we temporarly allow it and click on the icon again, now we paste the url inside the box and click ok and we get (IMG) and (/IMG) surrounding the url. we now hit ''submit reply''

I can see all pictures posted from my computer but others can't.
Old April 27, 2007, 03:18 PM   #16
srtrax

Test #3 is still on my computer with this
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...6&d=1177552020
and i get the pic. on this end? test 3 srtrax in test sight
Old April 27, 2007, 03:19 PM   #17
fisherman66

I just use the paperclip in the post toolbar, browse for photo on hard drive, upload, and close window. After that I click on the paperclip again and select the attachment.

You could use a photo bucket on the web, but I've never bothered with that.
Old April 27, 2007, 03:27 PM   #18
srtrax

It won't let me click the paper clip, i get an error on page, i said i can bring up test 3 and can in the test page, but when i coppied the code and pasted on this sight. I ckick on it and says page missing.Got to love it , it's probbly so damn simple i'm missing it, something about trees and a forest!
Old April 27, 2007, 03:32 PM   #19
fisherman66

Have you tried switching browsers? I am using Firefox.
Old April 27, 2007, 03:57 PM   #20
srtrax

Thats been brought up in several posts, may have to try it!(foxfire)
Old April 27, 2007, 04:30 PM   #21
Mal H
Staff

Thanks for the details, srtrax. That helps me at least follow your method. I'm going to try it your way exactly to see what happens.

Before I do though, I have to say you're adding a bunch of unnecessary steps. And I hasten to add, I realize others here have suggested those unnecessary steps to you, so it's not your fault. I'll explain later.
Old April 27, 2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Mal H
Staff

test post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-281S.JPG (28.4 KB, 74 views)
Old April 27, 2007, 04:43 PM   #23
srtrax

Mal H

Be nice if there was a short cut! THANKS for looking into this for me. The tree i came from grew on the side of a pretty steep hill, and well when this apple fell, it landed at the .
Old April 27, 2007, 04:46 PM   #24
Mal H
Staff

Ok, I followed your procedure to the letter. I can see the image in my post above (post #22). Do others see it?

The extra steps I was talking about were in getting the properties from the User CP->Attachments. But, now that I think about it, you probably don't go through as many extra steps as I thought. We just do it differently and your way should be ok. When I upload an attachment, I go ahead and complete the upload and submit the post. The attachment appears at the bottom of the post. I then right click on the picture to get the properties, edit the post and place the picture wherever I want it to go and add the IMG tags.

I manually add the IMG tags, so maybe that's the main difference. I have never used the IMG icon (mountain thingy) to add an attachment. Maybe that's the problem. It's not clear at this point.

If you see the picture above, you'll also notice that there is a box with the attachment at the bottom (and in fisherman66's post in the Ruger #1 thread). That is the main thing that is missing from your posts. I never see the attachments. You have obviously uploaded them since you are using valid attachmentid's, but they seem to disappear for some reason.

When you access your attachment list now, what is in the list? Do you see the attachments that you think should be there, but that others can't see for some reason?
Old April 27, 2007, 08:37 PM   #25
Mal H
Staff

Hello?? Anybody out there?

I can hear you breathing!

Is the picture in post #22 visible?