The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
jnestle

questions about measurement tolerance

I have reloaded pistol cartridges and am now about to reload rifle - 243 specifically. My questions:
how close to the published measurements do you need to be in terms of "trim to" length and overall length do you need to be?
In trimming my cartridges I find that my Lee zip trim system cuts slightly more than suggested - which makes the case about 0.05 shorter than suggested on average. considering I am only loading for deer hunting rounds I only need decent accuracy for 100 - 150 yds. Will this slight difference in case length make a significant difference in terms of hunting accuracy and or safety?

Thanks in advance,

JN
Old June 23, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
wncchester

" which makes the case about 0.05 shorter than suggested on average. "

You are correct, it's a suggestion. Nothing will blow up or fall off if a case is a tad short nor will it have much, if any, effect on accuracy.

(I'm assuming you mean the cases are 5 thou short, not 50 thou.)
Old June 23, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3

Have you trimmed all your brass? If not, then stop. There has to be an adjustment that will leave your brass .005 longer. If you have trimmed it all, you're still okay. My buddy just bought a RCBS X die which calls for the user to start .005 shorter than the load trim to length measurement. I would say as long as you have the right neck tension when seating and you are getting close to a full caliber seating depth you should be okay.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 23, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Sport45

The Lee trimmer is a fine tool but it is not adjustable. Well, I suppose you could grind the end to shorten it. Anyway, the ones I have are pretty reliable for trimming consistently to minimum case length. I believe what you want are consistent lengths more than anything else.
Old June 23, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
reloader28

Dont worry about it. You'll be perfectly fine.
I've shot some that a friend loaded that were trimmed 1/16" shorter than minimum and they shot OK.
They say the best accuracy is when your casing is out close to the end of the chamber, which well past maximum in most guns that I've measured, but not all.
If you want that kind of accuracy, you should measure your chamber and go from there, but for a hunting rifle it is not nessicary.

I agree with the consistant lengths.