The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2007, 09:47 AM   #1
marcodo

Extractor marks on a 45 case?

Just start loading for .45's for my new to me SW 1911 dk. Seems like a great gun and so far 175 rounds without any issues. I have been experimenting with different loads of w231 and tightgroup. My question is that the spent caseings have an elongated indent along the bottom of the rim which seems like its from the extractor (don't have the camera avail but can get pics if need be). On cases that have been fired twice there are 2 similar marks on diffents parts of the rim. I don't recall ever seeing this on any of the other guns I shoot. Is this an issue or nothing to worry about. Can I keep reloading these cases or will I begin to have other problems?
Old December 4, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
KeithB78

All semiautos will leave an extractor mark, some more noticeable than others.

These marks along with the firing pin mark can match a casing to a firearm under the scope

Also as you probly know a fired bullet can be matched to the barrel by lands, groves and siarations (spelling)
Old December 4, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3
The Tourist

If you also rotate the case around under your fingernail, you will find a sharp edge inside the brass rim where the extractor grabbed the case.

I use a load for plinking that doesn't elongate the brass as a high-powered rifle would do, necessiting periodic trimming.

I just take my brass, dump them in an oscillating tumbler and reload them in a progressive press.

I cannot even guess how many times these cases have been reloaded.

I do check for cracks, and that happens once in a while. I've found it happens more on nickel-plated cases. I don't know if that's from the plating process or the fact that many of them are from +P loadings.

My philosophy is, "When in doubt, throw it out."
Old December 4, 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
kingudaroad

That's probobly not an extractor mark!

My S&W 1911 does the same thing. If the mark is right on the headstamp, it is a manufacturing flaw that is on a lot of their 1911's including mine.

It is a ledge or shelf on the left side of the breach face. If you look you can see it clearly with a magnifying glass or feel it with your fingernail. The breach face is uneven and when the case is slammed back into the breach face it leaves that mark. Here is a link to previous discussion. I used to have a pic but can't find it now.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=4245
Old December 4, 2007, 05:48 PM   #5
kingudaroad

By the way,, last I heard Smith was not repairing the flaw under warranty. They say it is cosmetic.

Also if you read the thread in the link I left(or do a search on the 1911 forum) it also describes a nasty burr on the left side of the frame that will leave marks on the barrel. My gun also had this problem and it was easily filed smooth.
Old December 5, 2007, 01:07 AM   #6
cheezhed

iis a great way to keep track of how many times the case has been fired . My .45s do the same thing and it seems to do no harm.
Old December 5, 2007, 08:21 AM   #7
marcodo

VERY HELPFUL...thanks...seems to be a common theme with the S&W 1911.

I know this may be a crazy question, but is this something that I could sand or file down myself without risking ruining the gun? (I am somewhat of a "all thumbs guy)

Could this work it self out? I only have about 200 rounds so far through it. Is this something S&W would do for me...is it worth it.

I do reload the brass...any issues?

Thanks to All
Old December 5, 2007, 10:30 AM   #8
rwilson452

you can reload the brass. as you say your all thumbs I would not suggest you attempt to fine tune the extractor. I suspect that sending it to the MFG would be a excersize in frustration. I would suggest you take it to a local gunsmith for an opinion.
Old December 5, 2007, 11:11 AM   #9
kingudaroad

Marcodo, the breach face flaw can be fixed by Smith but they will probobly charge you. The frame burr is the more serious problem as it will cause peening on the barrel.

Take the gun apart and see if there are marks on the left side of the barrel. If there are then you will be able to see the burr on the left side of the frame that the barrel is contacting. Just use a small file or a emory board to get rid of it.

Once again, the marks on the rim of your brass have nothing to do with the extractor.