The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Meech

Another LnL Powder thru Expander Question

I posted this question on another forum but didn't get much response. Thought I would revise it a little and try this forum.

When setting up for 45 ACP I can adjust the "powder thru expander" so that it bells the case mouth OK but the bells are unsymmetrical; i.e. the flare will be more pronounced on one side of the case mouth than the other side. This occurs no matter how much I expand the case (from a little to alot). I can see why it happens; the drop tube doesn't fit snugly into the measure adapter thus the drop tube (and everything above it) tilts slightly as the expander enters the case mouth and begins the flare. Is it common for the drop tube to fit so loosely in the measure adapter? Are others out there getting unsymmetrical belling?

The terminology used above such as "powder thru expander", "drop tube", and "measure adapter" are straight out of the Hornady manuals. If you're not a LnL user, you may not know what these parts are.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Marlin.357

Not a LnL user, but I won't let that stop me

If you are belling enough to notice the flare being non symmetrical I suspect you are belling too much. You only need to flare enough to allow the bullet to sit on top of the case and be seated without shaving lead or crushing the case as the bullet is being seated. Excessive flare will shorten the life of the case by work hardening the case resulting in case mouth splits.