The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 12, 2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Jevyod

Ruger M77 MKII in 260 Rem value?

I have a Ruger M77 MK II chambered in 260 Rem that I got new in 2003. A friend told me he didn't know Ruger offered a M77 MKII in 260, and thought maybe I should hang on to it due to it being worth something someday.

Thoughts? I really don't have any plans to sell it, but was thinking of getting rid of the factory stock ( I put a Boyds on it) Bad idea?
Old March 12, 2018, 01:40 PM   #2
wild willy

Which stock does it have?It can make a big difference in value.
Old March 12, 2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Jevyod

Just the ugly black synthetic
Old March 12, 2018, 04:47 PM   #4
jmr40

I seriously doubt that it would have any real collector value regardless of the stock. It'll always be worth "something" to someone. But there are very, very few firearms that truly appreciate enough to be worth the trouble. Shoot it, or sell it if you don't like it and buy something you do.

Quote:
was thinking of getting rid of the factory stock ( I put a Boyds on it) Bad idea?
I think so. Why pay money for a downgrade. Those are heavy rifles as is. The Boyds stocks are much less durable than the stock on there and add 1/2 to 1 pound of weight.

Winston Churchill
Old March 12, 2018, 05:50 PM   #5
NHSHOOTER

FWIW, I put a boyds thumbhole on a M77 in 7-08, it had a wood stock when I got it but I really like thumbholes, I got alot of compliments on the look of that rifle and it was a better shooter with the boyds, maybe because the boyds is free floated and the original stock wasnt.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:42 PM   #6
RC20

Keep the original stock and buy a Boyds. If you ever go to sell it, you can offer it with both. Probably no collectors for it yet but you never know.

Sometimes you can sell those as non collectors to someone who desperately wants it and can't get it for a good price as well.

I have two Boyds TH, love the wood look and they are equally as good as any synthetic be it plastic, fiberglass or CFRP to stability.

I would go with the Feather (lightweight?) TH. I have one of those on a bull target 30-06 and one of the Varmint/Benchrest weight on a 308.

While I like them both the Featherweight fits me better and it takes no second place to accuracy.

Never did a Ruger, Savage is an outstanding fit with no bedding needed (both rear tangs needed just a little bit of relief

While I don't own a Boyds in the type, I did get to try the equal what I call a Super Grip, Prairie Varmint hunter. Its more a bench rest looking shape stock with that very pronounced grip.

I liked that one as well as my TH which was unexpected.
Old March 15, 2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Jevyod

I too like the thumbhole stock and really want one, but my thumb does not think so. I have been blessed with fingers that are strong, but a bit on the stubby side. So when I tried the thumbhole stock, the reach for the trigger was longer than I was comfortable with. Talked to a rep from boyds, and they said they cannot place the hole farther forward due to not enough material to withstand recoil. So I guess I do not see a thumbhole stock in my future
Old March 15, 2018, 05:46 PM   #8
wild willy

Right now the old all weather skeleton/boat paddle stocks are bringing a premium both on Gunbroker and other online auctions and the local auctions.These guns are not big buck collectables but a skeleton stock brings 30% or more over the price of the same wood stocked gun.I think that a fairly big difference in price.Thats why I asked which stock.
Old March 17, 2018, 01:26 PM   #9
RC20

Quote:
I too like the thumbhole stock and really want one, but my thumb does not think so. I have been blessed with fingers that are strong, but a bit on the stubby side. So when I tried the thumbhole stock, the reach for the trigger was longer than I was comfortable with. Talked to a rep from boyds, and they said they cannot place the hole farther forward due to not enough material to withstand recoil. So I guess I do not see a thumbhole stock in my future
Try the Boyds Pro Varmint. I can't send a link, their site does not like my browser.

I call them Super Grip, I liked it as much as a TH when I got to shoot one. Didn't think I would and not sorry I went with TH but its a good alternative. they have other variations of stocks as well.

The stock looks like this, may even be a Boyds as Bodys does supply stocks to Savage.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12bvss
Old March 18, 2018, 02:16 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

A Ruger M77 MK II(came is SS in .260 Rem too. The Hawkeye still does from Lipsey's.) is never going to be a collector piece. The .260 Remington might be an issue too. The Wal-Mart Test will tell you one way or the other. If the local Wally World has the ammo, all of 'em will.
The Boyds stock won't make it any more or less valuable.
"...a skeleton stock brings 30% or more..." Not on a deer rifle.
Old March 18, 2018, 06:31 PM   #11
wild willy

T. O’Heir It’s been said many times on here by a lot of members that lots of time you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.This is another of those times
Old March 18, 2018, 11:02 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Just the ugly black synthetic
Which one?
The single-piece stock with "checkering"?
Or the "boat paddle" stock with removable grip panels?

The boat paddle, as mentioned by others, can bring a premium.
The other stock... not so much.
Old March 19, 2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Jevyod

The single piece ckeckering.
Old March 19, 2018, 08:08 AM   #14
Jevyod

I was also toying with the idea of getting the stock hydro dipped....that may be an option as well. And to clarify, I was not asking if this was going to be some collectors piece that brings high premiums..... I was just thinking that it may be unusual enough that it may be worth more than simply any old hunting rifle. In other words I was thinking if I ever go to sell it I may be foolish to ask for less than 500 bucks
Old March 19, 2018, 10:04 AM   #15
RC20

As stated, I agree with you.

It is unusual and there will be someone out there that would pay far more than plain market value for it (if you choose to sell).

You just keep the stock as that may be part of what a buyer would want, its not like you can't find a place to put one.

Try out some of the guns at Cabella, Dicks, Sportsmans with different stocks.

Boyds has a wide range, also as noted, the Prairie hunter is an options, wood ones are as well.

I know a guy that bought a plain Remington Model 30, worth a lot now.