The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 4, 2018, 11:36 PM   #1
oldscot3

new howa mini wo detach mag

I stumbled upon an ad this weekend for a Howa Mini action 223 with a 20" #6 heavy barrel. The interesting part for me, was that it was shown without the detachable magazine bottom and the ad said it was a new item. The specs showed a 4 round capacity. I wondered if it was a mistake or an incorrect stock photo so I looked in Legacy's 2018 catalog. I couldn't find the part number or any reference to mini actions with a hinged floorplate.

Anybody know if Legacy is starting to supply the mini action rifles with a hinged floorplate? I'm down for one if they are.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:13 AM   #2
taylorce1

You might call Whittaker's gun shop they have a Howa mini that's showing what looks like a standard floor plate.

Howa Mini 7.62X39 22" barrel
Old March 5, 2018, 09:21 AM   #3
oldscot3

Yep, sure does and that ad is another example of not enough info. When that single feature represents the distinction from other models, don't you think it's worth a mention?

Oh well, I guess if I'm forced to choose between flaws in the marketing of a products and flaws in the actual product, I pick the marketing to be the problem.
Old March 5, 2018, 12:13 PM   #4
taylorce1

Why not just pick up a phone and call or email? I personally am not interested in the Howa Mini, but I got a link to the one I posted in my weekly email.
Old March 5, 2018, 03:25 PM   #5
oldscot3

whaaat....you mean actually talk to someone without my internet mask? I'll have to think about that.

You're right of course, but so far the ones I'm finding are scoped packages; don't need or care to pay for the budget scope. When I find a dealer with the rifle only, assuming I'm ready to order, I'll call them.

The other thing is, Howa is offering chassis rifles for the mini action now as well. I might prefer that but we're back to detachable mags, although they make more sense to me with the chassis stocks.

So many decisions.....