The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 17, 2016, 03:18 PM   #26
cobraski

92fs slide jam problem 2016

I have a 92fs with about 250 rounds fired through it
gun cleaned after every use
While at range had slide on gun jam with about quarter inch of push rod showing. Called Beretta and explained problem. They told me to tap slide forward. Didn't work. Took to gun smith due to possible live round in gun. After review spent round in gun. Gun smith found locking block pin left locking block due to 1) pin to small or 2) hole in locking block to big.

Sent back to Beretta and they replaced barrel, locking block n pin.

Closing note do not tap on slide forward. Further take pictures of gun prior to sending to Beretta.
Hope this helps
Old August 17, 2016, 05:09 PM   #27
dgludwig

RedShift, I certainly hope your problem gets resolved and that you report the "fix". What bothers me is the fact that you believe the pistol to have been "gently used" and in "excellent" condition. I would hate to think that the problem, whatever it is, to have reared its ugly head when you might have needed it most...
Old August 17, 2016, 09:27 PM   #28
DaleA

Hope Redshift has it fixed by now...his post was almost 5 years ago...

(You know you can only soak something in Kroil so long before you really have to do something about it.)
Old August 19, 2016, 07:19 PM   #29
TheGunGeek

Being conservative, the locking block should be replaced every 15,000 rounds and springs at 5,000 as part of normal maintenance. The Beretta is a great pistol and isn't prone to failure, however like everything else it must be maintained.

When I buy used I like to replace the wear items to reset to new.

I would take it to a gunsmith for repair.
Old August 20, 2016, 10:09 PM   #30
berettaprofessor

Cracks me up when old threads are picked up like it was yesterday. Thread Necromancy is the term.
Old August 30, 2016, 12:30 PM   #31
cobraski

Beretta backed ther 92fs with great customer service

I had a 92fs go back to Beretta for roll pin slipped out of locking block causing slide to jam. They had replaced barrel and locking block and pin though there was some damage on frame from repair.

I resent pistol back to Beretta, thinking nothing would happen and would have to live with it.

WRONG!!!

Beretta stood behind there product and took care of all my issues.

I just want everyone to know that Beretta is great company with old time values. Which is lacking in the majority of Companies today.

Way to go Beretta!!! Sorry I doubted you.
Old March 13, 2018, 10:05 PM   #32
Fremont Dave

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But I noticed it wasn't resolved by the OP and I ran into what sounds like an identical incident. My American 92FS failed to fire on 4th round of the mag, guide rod protruded about 1/4 inch, and the slide was nearly locked. There was about 1/32 of front to back slide play and it felt like hard stops on either end. Also, my safety failed to decock the hammer.
As with several on this thread, I thought it was the locking block as mine has probably seen 30K rounds. But I wasn't sure how to open it up. The mallet tips from the forum worked great. Thank you. Lightly chucked the slide in a vise with padded jaws and tapped on the trigger guard. When the slide came off I noticed the stop block and everything else looked in order although it was seized up. I lightly tapped on the stop block pin with a punch and it popped free. I noticed the round was sticking out a bit form the barrel. I pulled it out and retracted it several times, good fit other than it stuck out a bit. I then measured the length of the casing and found it was about .02 inches out of spec. The rest of the ammo was on the underside about .010 inches. All factory loads. Never would have figured the problem would have been caused by the casing. I put it back together and manually cycled a couple dozen rounds. All good. Thanks again to the forum, was thinking I might have to visit a smith. Image of the slide with the round protruding attached. And yes, I already ordered a new stop block kit :0)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide-w-round.jpg (139.4 KB, 72 views)

Tags
beretta 92fs , jam , jamming , slide