The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2011, 07:35 PM   #51
Jeff56

Quote:
What you get out of this is people listing their favorite guns and people listing guns based on how they shoot them and not how the gun is actually capable of shooting. Stick 'em in a Ransom Rest and there won't be a nickel's worth of difference on average.
That sure as heck isn't how I do things. I plainly said that certain guns would not shoot accurately no matter how you shoot them. And 10 MOA??? You haven't seen many good shooters have you? It depends on the distance of course and the length of the barrel means a lot but when a gun comes from the factory with a target showing it shoots 1" groups at 50 yards (not under $1000 but they exist) that's a little better than 10 MOA. In fact it's a lot better. And that same gun was formerly sold for much less money and came with 2" targets. I'm talking about the Sig P210 of course.

My Sig 220 will shoot 1" groups at times at 50 yards. That's 2 MOA. I can't do it every time but it will certainly do better than 10 MOA at that distance. My S&W 629, which has an 8 3/8" barrel, will shoot probably 6" groups at 150 yards. That's about 4 MOA at 100 yards. And my friend's Ruger MkII will shoot 1" groups at 75 yards. That's about 1 1/3 MOA. Compare that to my Raven P25, which used to actually shoot pretty good, which now shoots about a 10 foot group at 50 yards (it once did about 18" at 50 yards or even less) and you have a gun that shoots 240 MOA. That's a pretty big difference. My XDm in .40 S&W, doesn't shoot that great either. It was a problem gun in a former life obviously. It does ok but it won't come close to shooting like my Sig will.

So how is it these guns all shoot alike? Do you think it's just me and the way I shoot them? Because I've seen other people shoot them and they did about the same as I do with them or very close to it. Even my daughter, who has only started learning to shoot handguns, can get about the same kind of results I do and I've been shooting 48 years.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:34 PM   #52
pilpens

Best accuarcy for least money would be a .22 --- Browning Buckmark, Ruger MK.
Centerfire pistol - STI, Kimber 1911s, many others.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:47 PM   #53
Get R Done Guns

Well personally would have to say right out of the box 4" would be the FNX 9. 5" would probably be the FiVe SeVen. Smith M&P is a good one also if we are eliminating .22's. The buck marks are wonderful.
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old October 28, 2011, 10:42 PM   #54
PH/CIB

Most revolvers I have shot have been extremely accurate.

HKP9S and HKP7M8, although the P7 is more than 1k these days.

Walther P88, P5, P38 the P88 is over a grand tho.

Most Lugers, like my Mauser Lugers, hard to find under 1k

Sig P210 but way out of the ball park on price.

My brother has a Tanfoglio he picked up for 500 that is accurate and has a great trigger.

Browning High Powers with magazine safety removed.

Or just buy my Glock 34 with a Barstow barrel, still less than 1k.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old October 29, 2011, 04:52 PM   #55
Jeff56

Quote:
Sig P210 but way out of the ball park on price.
Was that one of the original 210's or the new ones? If it was an older one, did you buy it after the prices went up or did you maybe buy it when it was new?