The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 28, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
essohbe

Colt-Umarex .22 toilet plunger

Someone posted this on another forum, I thought it was sad but hilarious:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=140641947

All the more, also to validate my position that a Ruger 10|22 in an AR stock is always a better idea to me.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
speedsixman

If you want a good laugh, go to the link on Gunbroker and click on "view seller's other auctions". He has several of these POS disguised as various other items. It seems that he is a bit hacked off, maybe rightly so. At least he has a little sense of humor left in him.

Myron
Old September 28, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
HorseSoldier

Funny stuff. Does sound like he's had a very bad time with the things.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:25 PM   #4
hoytinak

Yeah I looked at the rest of them too. You're right, at least he has a sense of humor about it. Wonder how much he's out though, must as been quite a bit to post those as he did.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:29 PM   #5
JWT

I guess that means the seller on gunbroker is not very fond of the Colt Umarex. Wonder if the Umarex folks have seen his posts.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
300magman

I give the man props for thinking of such a creative way to put them out there and try to get some of his money back out of them. He could have given up, and he could have represented them as quality items, instead he has put them out there in a way that absolves him of any future complaints..after all, he's telling you the thing is not worthy to be a gun and you are buying it entirely at your own risk.
On the other hand...its not entirely eithical to sell a sketchy gun, even if you are telling people that its sketchy, you just know some poor fool out there is thinking he is going to get one of these things cheap and he's banking on being the one lucky guy that gets a half decent gun (and he's not going to be that guy) lol
And some part of me is saying this guy is taking a risk (legally), the manufacturer could come after him for defaming thier name or something similar or some custmer who buys one and gets hurt somehow by it could come back claiming he knew they weren't fit to be used safely and yet he still sold them knowing that despite his creative advertising the end customer who buys one was still buying it as a gun and he should have reasonably anticipated that.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:33 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Interesting. Just had a fellow shooter mention to me that he had experienced problems trying to get one of the Colt/Umarex rifles to work...
Old September 28, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
JerseyDrez

Haha thats awesome.

If they werent so expensive, Id buy one! I wouldnt mind plunging the toilet anymore

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old September 28, 2009, 08:44 PM   #9
JWT

According to a post on Rimfire Central the seller is a gun shop owner who sold the guns, new, to customers who returned them because of malfunctions. He refunded the buyers money and was unable to get Umarex to take them back.
Old September 28, 2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Norrick

Quote:
The silly customer we sold this COLT to even put on a Hogue grip on it to help insert the fencepost in the ground.
I laughed at that
Old September 29, 2009, 12:17 AM   #11
GLK

Funny enough but truly sad as well. Sure hope the parties involved get the bugs worked out. I said it before and will say it again I really want/ed "Colt"/whoever and S&W to sell tons of these.
Old September 29, 2009, 01:18 AM   #12
impalacustom

I read all his post on GB and I was in tears laughing so hard. He is making lemonade with some really sour lemons. From the reading of his post it looks like he is out $2,500. I wondered how long it would be before those POS were going to be selling cheap on GB.
Old September 29, 2009, 09:11 PM   #13
iostorm

Mine has been fantastic, 650 total rounds with not a single problem. Perhaps some of it could be contributed to operator error...............
Old September 29, 2009, 09:58 PM   #14
BlackFeather

Must be a marketing ploy... im curious if it actually comes with the plunger head...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old September 29, 2009, 10:00 PM   #15
hoytinak

Quote:
im curious if it actually comes with the plunger head...
That would actually be pretty cool, I might consider one then.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:29 PM   #16
JWT

Wanting the plunger head makes sense. They're generally very reliable.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:53 PM   #17
22lr

Red flags if they dont take care of the dealers like that. Not a Ruger or even hi-point customer service story for sure.
Old September 30, 2009, 09:33 PM   #18
alaskaman94

ok im goin with the M&P 15-22.....

props for the good attitude...... very clever

Tags
ar 10 22 , colt .22 , umarex