The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 18, 2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Chainsaw.

Game cams purchase advise.

Hey guys Im looking for a game cam. Im not a super serious hunter, jist trying to get an idea of where coyotes are traveling and maybe bear as well. Looking for anoy so eexpensive camera say south of $100? Any to avoid, recommendations?
Old September 18, 2015, 03:35 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I'm not going to get into a big debate on here about what camera is best. I've owned a couple dozen or so over the last ten years and currently have nine cameras out and in use. Regardless of brand, get one with a very fast trigger speed as the first criteria. If it isn't a half second or less don't get it. What will happen is you'll get a lot of shots with nothing in them. What ever set it off already got by the camera. Cutting to the chase, I use Cuddeback E3s and a couple of Browning Special Op camera. They run about a hundred fifty bucks, are black (invisible) flash, and take stills or videos. I never get blank pics, washed out pics from the filter not transitioning, and they just about freeze frame anything going by. Even shots of me on my wheeler look like still shots. Great range and detection. The only thing I've seen better are the Reconyx and they're four-fifty to five-fifty. You kind of get what you pay for and they're a lot of them that cost more than the ones I have that aren't nearly as good. The Cuddeback E3 and E2 have the best warranty out there by a mile.....two years full and three more years at fifty percent. Everything else in one year or less.
Old September 18, 2015, 05:05 PM   #3
603Country

I use Moultries of various styles and ages. They seem to hold up well. Only complaint is the trigger time. I get a good number of the back ends of deer. Overall though, I'm pleased. I'm going to transition to more of the no-glow type as the older ones die - but they aren't dying fast enough. I guess that's good....
Old September 18, 2015, 05:12 PM   #4
BillM

Ran a Moultrie IR55 for years, until it finally got some Oregon rain in it.
Currently have a couple of Bushnells. Under $100, I think I bought them
both on sale at Bi-Mart. Good battery life, easy to set up. Great
daytime and OK night pics. Both are IR (non visible) night illumination.
Shutter time isn't super, but if I set them at an angle instead of at 90°
to the trail they usually get the whole critter.
Old September 18, 2015, 05:27 PM   #5
603Country

I was surprised to find, back in June, that a flash flood had submerged one of my newer Moultries. I was going to throw it away, but somebody suggested that I let it dry and see if it still worked. It did still work. That was a pleasant surprise.