The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2018, 08:06 AM   #26
nanney1

I ended up getting the Radians Terminator - NRR 29 dB. Foldable and adjustable. Wore them for 2 hours and they were comfortable. Could have gone another hour if I'd had more ammo. I was at an outdoor range and I found them better than the plugs I had been using. At an indoor range, I would go with the plugs and the muffs.
Old January 13, 2018, 04:35 PM   #27
Nathan

Glad you got what you need!

These are boring, but add a lot of noise reduction to good muffs....LINK

On the outside I use pro-ears without complaint....LINK
Old April 19, 2018, 01:33 PM   #28
redraif

Ok so i have always had HORRIBLE issues with the foam inserts. I have tried all the tricks and I can never get them to seal right. Side note, I usually have to buy special inserts to use earbuds or they are too big and fall out. Due to that I have always just muffed.... but with what you guys are saying... I should go with both. Fortunately I have not had much range time, so the only muffs damage should be minimal... Has anyone found that certain foam plugs work better then others as far as sealing? Maybe I have just had junky ones?
I though about getting these for under the muffs:
http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/bere...sive-earplugs/

Speaking of muffs... you guys got me curious to see what my Beretta muffs speced at.... Specs I have dug up say
H - 32dB
M - 22dB
L - 13dB
SNR - 25dB
So what does that mean... which rating do I go with??? the 25?

I also got their glasses.... but what i found was the glasses had a square frame. I would put on the muffs and it gave a a huge headache at my temples. I have a small head. Can wear kid size hats. HAd to wear a kid size XL helmet when I went to one of those go cart type tracks. Bet this effects the sealing too. Thoughts??? What do you guys do to mitigate this?

So far... I talked to some trusted gun folks and they recommended the Harbor Freight safety glasses... yes the cheapies... but they have a flat side frame. OMG I can wear the muffs for hours and hours now, but do I trust them to be safe enough?
Old April 19, 2018, 01:56 PM   #29
FITASC

Quote:
The ear protection levels advertised ASSUME a perfect fit.
If you wear glasses or have non-short hair, you may need to try multiple sets to get a good fit.
Except EVERYONE wears SOME form of glasses when shooting........right?

Quote:
I have tried all the tricks and I can never get them to seal right
The best way to insert a foam plug is to roll it tightly, reach over your head with your opposite hand, tug your ear up and insert the plug COMPLETELY and let it expand to fill your ear canal; repeat for other ear, then use muffs over that
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 19, 2018, 02:02 PM   #30
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraif
Has anyone found that certain foam plugs work better then others as far as sealing? Maybe I have just had junky ones?
Yes, some are better than others. I've had poor experiences with the little cylinders of foam that expand after you've put them in your ear. Either I don't get it in well enough and it works its way out, or I really get it in there and can't grab enough to pull it out.

I like the kind with a series of baffles and a little handle at the end for holding a string. The handle allows the muff to hold the plug in the ear.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:53 PM   #31
cw308

Problem with a good set of muffs , you can hear the ringing in your ears much louder.
Old April 21, 2018, 07:11 PM   #32
rpenmanparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Yes, some are better than others. I've had poor experiences with the little cylinders of foam that expand after you've put them in your ear. Either I don't get it in well enough and it works its way out, or I really get it in there and can't grab enough to pull it out.

I like the kind with a series of baffles and a little handle at the end for holding a string. The handle allows the muff to hold the plug in the ear.
My problem with those fancy ones is that they make an air tight seal and it is very painful to remove them due to the vacuum they draw on the ear drum. Maybe actually damaging. They should be compressed to the side to let air in before removal.
Old April 22, 2018, 07:20 PM   #33
johnwilliamson062

Try twisting as you remove.
Old April 23, 2018, 02:18 PM   #34
michaeldarnold

Folks tinnitus is no joke. My right ear rings constantly. I lost the hearing in my right ear at the age of 12 from blunt trauma from a baseball bat to the head. Long story, not going to waste your time. My eardrum still works, so I use in ear plugs for both sides outdoors on the range. I don't shoot indoors, but would probably use muffs and plugs if I did.

The best plugs I have dealt with, and I've used a lot as I worked in industrial supply and it was required, have been the tapered orange or multicolored smooth compressible foam plugs. They smush down nicely and expand and stay put. Plus, they are not overly firm to put too much pressure on the ear canal.

As far as brands go, Howard Leight makes some fantastic plugs and I've been really happy with them. My wife has used them at night at times when the snores from my side are unbearable. I'm partial to the Laser Lites.
Old May 2, 2018, 04:41 AM   #35
You_NEver_

It was a time when I was an active indoor shooter. I had an opinion that my hearing will regenerate till two or three days after shooting. I admitted my hearing loss in two years. I think it is wise to use muffs. I use industrial one now.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:30 AM   #36
stinkeypete

+1 for good muffs over 3m plugs.
Old May 4, 2018, 05:13 PM   #37
Hitthespot

I hate to beat a dead horse but as others have said you get one set of ears. Don't play around. Ear plugs can be had as cheap as 200 pair for 29 bucks and their of good quality. Max-Lite (-30NNR) come to mind but there are others. A good head set can be had on Amazon for under 20 bucks. NO excuse to not use both indoors, and I have for years. If I could triple up I would. I remember punch presses constantly pounding in the shop, loud rock music concerts I went to (ok I played in a band also), even lawn mowers. It's a wonder I can hear at all, but I'm lucky for sure. At my age I have too many friends who can't hear because we just didn't know any better 45 years ago, and what's available today is better than what was available then. Today we know better and the cost is well within anyone who shoots reach. Be safe!