The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 11, 2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Straitshot

The rifle I almost lost.

Back many years ago my uncle took me on my first deer hunt. I believe I was around 16 at the time. It has been so many years ago I really don't remember. However, I do remember what rifle I used. I did not own a rifle back then but my uncle had a Winchester model 94 lever action in a .30-30 caliber that he let me use on that hunt. Using that rifle on my own I still hunted and shot a pretty nice eight pointer on my first hunt ever.

About three years ago my uncle passed away. Not long after his passing my aunt also passed away and their daughter, my cousin, and her husband moved into their home. Then not long after they moved into my aunt an uncles home someone broke into the home and several rifles all of which had belonged to my uncle were stolen from their home. After reporting the theft a few months went by and they had not heard anything, however, my son-in-law is a local police officer so I called him and asked if he could not find out something about the rifles. Later that day a detective called my cousin and told her they believe they had located and recovered some of the rifles, but needed some familiar with the rifles to identify them. It just so happened I was the only person that had knowledge of all my uncles firearms because he and I had spent so much time together over the years hunting together . I had also spent some time working for him as he was a journeyman carpenter and I was his apprentice.

Anyway to make a long story short some of the rifles were recovered and the Winchester model 94 was one of them. I had always wanted that rifle since my uncles passing so my cousin agreed to let me purchase it from her. Here is a photo of the rifle I took my first deer ever with, a 1948 Winchester model 94 in .30-30 caliber. Though some of the bluing on the receiver has faded the rifle is in very good condition and after a good cleaning is ready for a trip to the range and down memory lane.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 11, 2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

Congratulations on your good fortune in getting it back! I notice that yours has the flat barrel-band near the muzzle. Also, yours has the nice, long forearm wood, that got chopped short around 1950. But what about the hammer; is it serrated, like later models, or checkered, like earlier ones?
Old January 11, 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
Carmike

Beautiful gun. I'm glad you got it back!
Old January 11, 2018, 02:57 PM   #4
gwpercle

Awesome !
I just love a story with a happy ending.
I would have to make one more hunt with it....I bet it could still bring home the venison .
Gary
Old January 11, 2018, 04:01 PM   #5
shootniron

Congrats!

Glad you were able to get this momento.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:24 PM   #6
stagpanther

sweet!
Old January 11, 2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice to read some were recovered.
Being burgled a number of times. I personally know how depressing & suspecting thieving punk/s can leave their victim.

I'm happy to read you took the High Road in retrieving possession of your Uncles rifle. I'll bet your Uncle is pleased also. "Good for you."
Old January 11, 2018, 04:50 PM   #8
jmr40

I'm glad things worked out for you. My maternal grandfather had a room full of nice firearms, most purchased prior to WW-1. But he died when I was only 5, so I never got to know him. My uncle, his only son, showed them to me once, along with the ones he had added. I would have liked to had one, but it didn't happen.

A cousin, who is now deceased, got everything and I have no idea whether or not any are even still in the family. I sorta doubt it. Mom was the youngest and moved hundreds of miles from her family. Most of my cousins are 15-20 years older than me and we were never close. Had I grown up in the same community I feel certain I'd have had a similar relationship with my mom's only brother.

Winston Churchill
Old January 11, 2018, 07:59 PM   #9
reinert

Great story, great gun. Hope you get to hunt for another nice "eight-pointer." Love that extra wood in front of the forearm barrel band. Nice old piece.
Old January 11, 2018, 09:14 PM   #10
Straitshot

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Along with that 94 there was another Winchester rifle stolen, that I had the privilege of shooting when I was younger. It too had belonged to my uncle and thankfully it too was also retrieved. I also purchased it from my cousin. A 1957 Winchester model 62A also in very good condition but also needed a good cleaning.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 11, 2018, 09:42 PM   #11
RedHoundTargets

Happy ending. Very nice firearms to have no matter what, but especially with the personal history you’ve got with them they’re even better. Hope you enjoy them for many more years.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:03 PM   #12
Siggy-06

I really like those old Winchesters. Glad you got them back!
Old January 14, 2018, 11:59 AM   #13
Rifletom

Wow! There was some luck involved there. Good for you on getting those back.
Old January 14, 2018, 10:23 PM   #14
jrothWA

It has not FADED, it has acquired character due to it age!

Great on both! enjoy.