The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 17, 2010, 05:49 PM   #1
spacecoast

Very bad experience with J and G Sales

Very early Monday morning I purchased a 2" bobbed hammer S&W Model 64 from the J&G web site. It had been on the site for months. The order went through OK, I paid with a credit card and received a confirming email. I worked with my FFL yesterday to fax his info to J&G, and received another email confirming that they had received the FFL and were processing the order for shipment.

Late this afternoon I received a "Sorry, this item is sold out" email, no explanation offered and no alternative offer. I consider this to be terrible customer service and would/will discourage anyone from buying from these guys.
Old February 17, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
w_houle

So, did they not refund your money or something?
Old February 17, 2010, 06:48 PM   #3
B. Lahey

I recently had a semi-bad experience with them as well. They had some ammo listed as in stock, I ordered it, received the package without that ammo in it and "backordered" on the receipt. Fine, whatever, I wasn't happy but it can happen. Many months later they shipped it, but they shippped it to the wrong address. When it could not be delivered at the wrong address, they gave me only a store-credit refund.

I had ordered from them a bunch of times before without any issues, and I guess I will be ordering again to use up the store credit, but the most recent order was a problem on a few levels.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:40 PM   #4
spacecoast

Quote:
So, did they not refund your money or something?
The card hasn't been charged, which is normal for purchases that do not ship right away.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:06 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
The card hasn't been charged, which is normal for purchases that do not ship right away.
They informed you promptly, and didn't charge your card. Sounds like a back end glitch ("Crap! We already sold the last one.").

I'd classify that as a "minor disappointment" rather than a "very bad experience".
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 17, 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
peaceful

Bad Experience?

" It had been on the site for months." I've bought many, many items from J&G. I learned a long time ago if you really want their item call and make sure it is in stock.
They've always bent over backwards to please. Peaceful
Old February 17, 2010, 08:43 PM   #7
spacecoast

They sent me an email CONFIRMING the order, and several subsequently asking about my FFL and then confirming when they had received his info.

All without even CHECKING IF THE GUN I BOUGHT WAS IN STOCK??? Seems like they had the cart way before the horse... sloppy at the very least. Personally I question whether they realized they could get more $$$ for the gun than they were asking. Snub nose K frames don't exactly grow on trees.
Old February 17, 2010, 09:23 PM   #8
amd6547

The particular revolver you tried to order was not a single revolver they were sitting on hoping to sell, but part of a large number of Model 64's they were selling....
Old February 17, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Gelgoog

It could be possible that they have a shipping department and a sales department you know. One handles the orders the other goes to find the item and ship it.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:16 PM   #10
jdscholer

Sh---tuff happens. J&G is no different than any retailer with a large inventory. The computer inventory, for various reasons doesn't always match the real inventory on the shelf.

I think they're a good outfit, and have had good experiences with them. Don't let one flub poison ya on them. jd
Old February 18, 2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Elvishead

Quote:
lee n. field

I'd classify that as a "minor disappointment" rather than a "very bad experience".
yep
Old February 18, 2010, 02:10 AM   #12
gun_king

Spacecoast I am on your side with this one. If someone runs a business they need to have someone updating their inventory all the time especially if they plan to effectively run a ONLINE store. I wouldn't classify as a bad experience. But maybe as your last experience with them.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:17 AM   #13
imthegrumpyone

enough said !
Old February 18, 2010, 06:32 AM   #14
smince

I've had a few similar incidents happen myself.

I was disappointed, but not enough to vent on an internet forum
Old February 18, 2010, 06:33 AM   #15
BillCA

Even the best businesses can have this happen. As long as they don't charge you and then delay the refund, consider their processes good (not excellent, just decent).

Having worked in both computers and retail businesses, here's what happens. J&G gets in 200 snubby 64's and offers them for sale. The day you place your order, they started with the last remaining 9 guns in stock. As orders are placed, the computer should deduct the item from running total in the stockroom. This prevents the order desk from overselling when inventory = 0.

Unfortunately, most systems are oriented to allow changes to orders once they're placed. If 9 guns were in stock that morning and when you ordered there were only 3, all it would take is one customer from earlier in the day "updating" his order for 1 gun to 4 guns. If the orders are picked in the order received, he gets his 4 guns and those who ordered later get shorted on their order.

Similar things can happen in gun shops with retail counters. They sell two guns of the 9 remaining but are still processing the paperwork when the final two are ordered.

If the business notifies you on or before the ship date for your order, they pretty well have their house in order. Even the following day is reasonable.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:52 AM   #16
spacecoast

Here's a detail I didn't include the first time... during the day after my early morning order, I checked the site and the gun(s) was (were) gone... meaning that someone or something removed them from the site during the day.

Anyone with systems automated enough to do that (or to tell someone to do it) has no business waiting two more days and putting me through the FFL hassle to tell me the item I purchased was no longer available. Ridiculous and unprofessional. Guns are relatively large, easily visible and tracked items that should not be difficult to count.

If they had replied the day of my purchase and said "We're really sorry sir, but our inventory was not updated properly and we have no gun for you" I would not be posting this incident, but there was nothing, no explanation.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:12 AM   #17
spacecoast

Quote:
I learned a long time ago if you really want their item call and make sure it is in stock.
Then why have a web site with an online ordering system? I am responsible for such a system at my company, and the products we sell are a LOT harder to count and track than 3-lb guns. Inventory is (and should be) updated in real time, there are MANY inexpensive software applications which do exactly that.

This is 2010, not the 1990s...
Old February 18, 2010, 02:38 PM   #18
spacecoast

RXD -

That boneheaded policy/treatment seems pretty consistent with my experience. I received a reply today to yesterday's "How is it possible this item is no longer available?" message that said simply

"Sir, Someone must have gotten the item just before you did. We apologize for the inconvenience."

This doesn't explain why they spent two days conversing with me about my FFL info and then confirming that they had received it without mention that the item I had bought wasn't even there. I would say their fulfillment area leaves a great deal to be desired.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:53 PM   #19
UtahHunting

Normally I don't go for these kind of posts, but I must say thanks for sharing your experiences. After reading about the guns for RXD, I will never do business with them. Every gun I have ordered online I have ALWAYS got a tracking number before it leaves their facility. And to think I have been looking at their CZ82's for some time now.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:16 PM   #20
TriumphGuy

I had a similar experience with a Swiss K31. They shipped it without the magazine, which should have a serial number matching the rifle. Later, a poster on the swiss rifle forums found it boxed in with his Mouser 98 in what sounded like pretty rough shape.

J&G shipped me another mag, but without matching numbers, the value of the rifle is diminished and I was offered no compensation other than shipping it back at my own cost for replacement. I realize that crap happens, but that's bad business.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:00 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Not as bad as south florida gun. they have a gp100 on their site I don't think has been in stock for years.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:06 PM   #22
danez71

Should it have happened? No.
Does it happen? Yes

Chaulk one up to old fashion brick and motor stores
Old February 18, 2010, 11:06 PM   #23
revolverrandy

I purchased one gun online thus far,and it was from j&G sales.Everything went fine.As soon as they received the FFL info they needed ,everything was a go and it shipped and was received within couple days
Old February 19, 2010, 10:42 PM   #24
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Moved to Retail Deals and Feedback: From here on forward, only those that have had direct experience in dealing with J&G sales are allowed to post their comment. Refer to the sticky posts in the Feedback subforum for details.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 21, 2010, 11:09 PM   #25
RsqVet

Have always had good luck with them myself. Even though is is frustrating for dealing with used items this kind of thing happens, just try and hunt used auto parts, it's all digital now blah blah blah but stuff still happens.