The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2020, 10:53 PM   #26
shortround60

I have had lovely experience with two Holosun 503's. They both have held up well so far.
Old January 5, 2020, 10:59 AM   #27
pblanc

I like the SIG Romeo 5. I have two of the regular 2 MOA dot reticle models. I also have one Romeo 5 xdr which offers a circle-dot reticle as well and runs off a single AAA battery instead of the usual button battery. All have functioned perfectly. The motion-detection, instant-on feature works very well and the dot remains pretty free of starburst at higher intensities. The regular SIG Romeo 5 comes with a riser that provides for an exact co-witness with back-up sights. The Romeo 5 xdr comes with the same height riser but also a thin spacer so that you can set it up for either an exact co-witness (without the spacer) or a lower one third co-witness (with the spacer) with your open sights.

I also have a 1X Vortex Spitfire prism scope which offers either red or green illumination of the etched reticle. It has worked pretty well, but I have had some intermittent flickering of illumination intensity now and again. It would be a good choice of unmagnified optic for an individual with uncorrected or uncorrectable astigmatism, but it is considerably larger and heavier than a micro-sized reflex red dot. There is no instant-on illumination feature, but the reticle remains visible in black with illumination off.

Last edited by pblanc; January 6, 2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old January 5, 2020, 10:18 PM   #28
INMY01TA

Another vote for Sig Romeo 5.
Old January 6, 2020, 11:39 AM   #29
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
I like the SIG Romeo 5. I have two of the regular 2 MOA dot reticle models. I also have one Romeo 5 xdr which offers a circle-dot reticle as well and runs off a single AAA battery instead of the usual button battery. All have functioned perfectly. The motion-detection, instant-on feature works very well and the dot remains pretty free of starburst at higher intensities. The regular SIG Romeo 5 comes with a riser that provides for an exact co-witness with back-up sights. The Romeo 5 xdr comes with the same height riser but also a thin spacer so that you can set it up for either an exact co-witness (without the spacer) or a lower one third co-witness (with the spacer) with your open sights.

I also have a 1X Vortex Spitfire prism scope which offers either red or green illumination of the etched reticle. It has worked pretty well, but I have had some intermittent flickering of illumination intensity now and again. It would be a good choice of unmagnified optic for an individual with uncorrected or uncorrectable astigmatism, but it is considerably larger and heavier than a micro-sized reflex red dot. There is no instant-on illumination feature, but the reticle remains visible in black with illumination off.
Good post.

The Spitfire has a lifetime transferable warranty so you can send it in to get the flickering problem fixed.

I bought one used that flickers occasionally so I contacted them and they said send it in and they will take care of it.
Old January 19, 2020, 06:25 PM   #30
Ruark

Is the Bushnell TR25 still a viable option? I haven't seen much of them lately.
Old January 19, 2020, 07:30 PM   #31
JERRYS.

looking at what's on the shelf at various places so I can handle it in person... I'm going to start saving for the Sig Romeo 5.
Old January 19, 2020, 09:43 PM   #32
Road_Clam

Burris FF2 .
Old January 19, 2020, 10:58 PM   #33
jmr40

I've tried to like dot sights. I had a Vortex SPARC a few years ago and could never warm up to it and eventually sold it. I tried again with the Sig Romeo 5 last fall and just sold it last week.

But if a dot sight works for you I did like the
Sig. It was pretty good for the money. I just like a conventional scope in a 1-4X configuration much better. I even have one with an illuminated reticle. But I doubt if I'll ever have a need to turn on the illumination.

Winston Churchill
Old January 19, 2020, 10:59 PM   #34
JERRYS.

even illuminated scopes aren't good for fast shooting in the dark/dim light.
Old January 20, 2020, 10:48 AM   #35
Ruark

I've seen pics of the Romeo 5, and one concern I have, just from looking at the pics, is how securely it's mounted (the riser). It appears to just have one little screw holding it onto the rail. One of the issues with the TRS25 mount, which is very similar, is that it's all made from aluminum and the threads can easily be stripped out from overtightening. With the TRS25, there's a VERY narrow window between being too loose and too tight. I have my TRS25 securely mounted using blue Loctite, which pretty much saves the day. I was just wondering about the Romeo 5 in this regard.

One BIG positive the Romeo has is the little 2 MOA dot; most red dots in this price range have 4s or 5s. The TRS25 has a 3 MOA.
Old January 20, 2020, 02:22 PM   #36
Nodak1858

Quote:
Is the Bushnell TR25 still a viable option? I haven't seen much of them lately.
I have one I use on my 223 ARs, I like it, not the fanciest but I have had no issues wit it.
Old January 23, 2020, 10:22 AM   #37
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
I've seen pics of the Romeo 5, and one concern I have, just from looking at the pics, is how securely it's mounted (the riser). It appears to just have one little screw holding it onto the rail. One of the issues with the TRS25 mount, which is very similar, is that it's all made from aluminum and the threads can easily be stripped out from overtightening. With the TRS25, there's a VERY narrow window between being too loose and too tight. I have my TRS25 securely mounted using blue Loctite, which pretty much saves the day. I was just wondering about the Romeo 5 in this regard.

One BIG positive the Romeo has is the little 2 MOA dot; most red dots in this price range have 4s or 5s. The TRS25 has a 3 MOA.
I have not had any of the three SIG Romeo 5 red dots loosen up on my Picatinny rails during live fire. I have used them on Ruger 10/22 rimfire rifles, Three different semi-auto ARs chambered in 5.56 NATO, and on an AKM chambered in 7.62x39.

I have used one for a couple of carbine courses during which several hundred rounds of 5.56 were shot per day without it loosening up. That is not to say it couldn't happen.

I also have a Bushnell TRS25. It advertises itself as a 3 MOA dot reticle but I would call it a 3+ MOA dot at best. At higher illumination required during bright daylight, it blooms up closer to 4 MOA. The SIG Romeo 5 is much better in that regard IMO.
Old January 23, 2020, 01:08 PM   #38
RGRacing

SIG Romeo 5 - Cx4 - 1000 rounds - solid / Payed $149 and found I could have done better.
Old January 25, 2020, 08:50 PM   #39
Slotback

When going the budget route, Vortex or Primary Arms.