The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 24, 2015, 11:00 AM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen a lot of fakes marked Colt .45, sometimes with a "pony"; I have never seen a fake Checkmate. (Why? Checkmates are OK, but have little value except as magazines - would anyone actually collect them?)

Jim
Old July 24, 2015, 01:02 PM   #27
RickB

There's a long thread on forum.m1911.org about magazines, and lots of discussion and speculation about the origins of magazines that are purported to be military issue (some concluding that most post war "G.I." mags are fakes).
There's a thread on 1911forum about mags available from CMP, which I'd expect to be authentic U.S.G.I., and while the baseplate markings match those in the pics above, the latter looks lumpy and of poor quality.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=170471
Old July 24, 2015, 03:14 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have no idea what CMP is selling; they don't have to use government contract magazines.

WWII magazines can still be obtained at gun shows, sometimes for $10 or less, if you know what to look for.

Yes, there are magazines being sold that are supposedly GI; many were leftover from a maker whose output was rejected by the Army as not in compliance with specifications (CAGE Code 30745). Others have markings similar to those of Colt commercial magazines, but are not Colt.

I can only say that I know of no faking of Checkmate magazines. As in any other area of gun collecting, when something becomes valuable enough, there will be fakes. Buying a Colt Paterson without knowing what you are doing might ultimately be a costly and unpleasant experience. Buying magazines the same way will be lest costly, but perhaps equally unpleasant in the long term.

Jim
Old July 25, 2015, 07:35 AM   #29
BoogieMan

The magazine for me is a non issue. Its not like these guns take something special or out of the ordinary. It may be the most common mag on the market. If I happened across a WWII issue mag I may grab it to go with the period ammo.

Is there anyway to find out who,where this pistol was issued? Or what its service life has been?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 25, 2015, 09:22 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

Nope. Issue records were kept at company level and destroyed when outdated or the unit demobilized.

Once in a while some records turn up, but they are at best a "snapshot" showing only the situation at one unit on one date. Or some veteran writes that he was issued 1911A1 number 1234567.

Jim
Old August 4, 2015, 09:53 AM   #31
KeithNyst

Your SN falls within a narrow SN range around where 1911 slide stops have been observed it's probably left the factory with it. Correct barrel would be have the COLT 45 AUTO on the left rear, a P on the left lug and a large G on the bottom (forward of the lug). You will be hard pressed to find a large G barrel for $100 ... more like $250-300.
Old August 5, 2015, 09:17 AM   #32
highpower3006

There is one on evilbay right now (8/5) that is currently at $82.99 with one day to go.

It has been parkerized, but other than that it looks pretty good.
Old August 11, 2015, 06:26 AM   #33
BoogieMan

I have been watching eBay, didnt see the one that the PP mentioned. Where should I look for a large G barrel?
Any ideas on why the original barrel isnt intact? You can see from the pics I posted this gun has little wear on it from shooting. I cant imagine that the barrel was shot out
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 11, 2015, 10:19 AM   #34
2ndsojourn

Boogieman, I saw a guy at the Oaks gun show on Saturday with an incredible amount of Colt, RemRand, & Ithica 1911 guns & parts, including a lot of barrels. I asked the price, and for my RemRand it was $250; I didn't ask about Colt. He was from Florida, & I got his card at home, & if you're interested let me know I'll get you his contact info.
Old August 14, 2015, 06:15 AM   #35
BoogieMan

I got in touch with Indian River Collectables yesterday. Curtis seems like a great guy and very knowledgable. He is asking $350 for a barrel that he says is in great condition and gives me the right to return no questions asked if I dont agree.
Will the addition of a correct barrel make this gun worth another $350 or more? Is it likely that I can find another correct barrel in good condition for less $$$$. So far this is the only one I have come across
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 14, 2015, 08:07 AM   #36
2ndsojourn

How much do you think you could sell your current barrel for? Then you're only talking about the increase in the difference. Unless you're going to be shooting it often and want to keep the correct barrel as a spare in case the other breaks.

He's got so much stuff, it's likely he'll have a correct barrel for a long time if you can't find a better deal. Keep checking gun shows for awhile. You'll probably catch up with him later at a show and maybe he'll offer a better price.

Try contacting 1911 Tuner (I haven't seen him here for a while though). He might have something.

Last edited by 2ndsojourn; August 14, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old August 14, 2015, 10:31 AM   #37
gyvel

$350.00 for a "correct" barrel?" That guy is on drugs. I daresay you can find that same "correct" barrel for around a hundred bucks give or take, on eBay if you're just patient enough to do a little looking.

Forget him and look around. Don't be in such a hurry to make the gun "right."
SIFE
Old August 14, 2015, 11:47 AM   #38
BoogieMan

I felt like it was a bit high also. But, being in NJ its not like I often come across this type of stuff. Either way I guess I can fall back on IRC. He did say he would be at Oaks show again this fall. Im not really planning on selling the gun so correct or not is only for my own benefit.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown