The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Dieselhorses

S&W 500 - Large Rifle Primers OR Large Rifle Magnum Primers?

I own a few reloading manuals, all of which call for LRP's for the 500. I recently noticed on Hodgdon's website they call for LRMP's. I called and they just said it gives better ignition. Never had a problem thus far with regular large rifle primers as far as misfires or unburnt powder. I am aware that H110 doesn't acclimate well in real cold temperatures (maybe this is why?) Anyone out there see any differences? Had any issues?

“To achieve victory we must mass our forces at the hub of all power and movement. The enemy’s "center of gravity” ― Karl Von Clausewitz
Old January 16, 2018, 12:36 AM   #2
disseminator

I don't load for the 500 but I do for the 460.

You probably know that there is brass out there for the 500 that uses "Large Pistol" primers. Make sure you stay away from that. My understanding is that if your brass is made to utilize "Large Rifle" primers then there will be an "R" added to the headstamp.

This should not be taken lightly as a Large Rifle primer in a case made for Large Pistol primers will leave the Rifle primer standing proud of the case head and this will be VERY dangerous when you place them into your revolver and fire one as the remaining rounds will then move back violently against the frame and if the primers are too tall they can go off with catastrophic results to you and those around you.

As for whether you should use "Large Rifle Magnum" or just "Large Rifle", I would go with the Magnums myself and I always use "Large Rifle Magnums" in my 460.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Dieselhorses

LR vs LRP

I agree with ya. Yes I pay attention to the "R". I think I only ran across one case that didn't have anything denoting primers and just left it alone. The loads I make aren't too hot and not having a problem burning powder. And I definitely pay attention to seating depth of primers! Also learned to stay away from Titegroup for the 500 lol (very bad). My next investment WILL be a 460! Very sweet to have 3 different caliber options in one wheel gun!

“To achieve victory we must mass our forces at the hub of all power and movement. The enemy’s "center of gravity” ― Karl Von Clausewitz
Old January 17, 2018, 12:34 AM   #4
disseminator

Quote:
My next investment WILL be a 460! Very sweet to have 3 different caliber options in one wheel gun!
3? Try 5! (6) (Though they are technically all the same caliber)

45 Cowboy, 45 Schofield, 45 Colt, (45 Colt Ruger Loads), 454 Casull, 460 Magnum

I love my 460! So much fun to load for and shoot. Always gets peoples attention at the range. ( Just like the 500 )

Old January 17, 2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Road_Clam

Load a lot for the 460, experimented with both LRP's and LRMP's and saw no difference in accuracy or performance. Some will comment that ball powders respond favorably from using mag primers but I never saw any conclusive data when I tested with a chrono.
Old January 17, 2018, 12:11 PM   #6
disseminator

Quote:
Load a lot for the 460, experimented with both LRP's and LRMP's and saw no difference in accuracy or performance. Some will comment that ball powders respond favorably from using mag primers but I never saw any conclusive data when I tested with a chrono.
That may be true, but all the load data I have seen recommends the Magnum primer and since they cost the same, why not use it?
Old January 17, 2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Don Fischer

If you don't know, the best advice I can think of is to revert back to what the loading manual say's.
Old January 17, 2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Dieselhorses

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post
3? Try 5! (6) (Though they are technically all the same caliber)

45 Cowboy, 45 Schofield, 45 Colt, (45 Colt Ruger Loads), 454 Casull, 460 Magnum

I love my 460! So much fun to load for and shoot. Always gets peoples attention at the range. ( Just like the 500 )

5? Awe man learn something new every day! All the more reason to get another beast! Cost about the same as the 500 so need to start saving!!

Old January 17, 2018, 05:29 PM   #9
disseminator

Quote:
5? Awe man learn something new every day! All the more reason to get another beast! Cost about the same as the 500 so need to start saving!!
You'll love it.

I am in the market for another big bore myself. I'm just not sure which one yet.....
Old January 17, 2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Dieselhorses

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post
You'll love it.

I am in the market for another big bore myself. I'm just not sure which one yet.....
What about the 480 Ruger? Or 41 magnum?

Old January 17, 2018, 08:04 PM   #11
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator
Not sure if you handload, but I chose the 460 S&W mag simply based upon the fact you can handload any .45 cal bullet. If your thinking the 500 now your bullet choices are much less.
Old January 17, 2018, 08:18 PM   #12
reynolds357

Use whatever primer your data says use. If it was developed with standard and you switch to magnum, 99% of the time, you raised the pressure.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:05 PM   #13
disseminator

Quote:
Not sure if you handload, but I chose the 460 S&W mag simply based upon the fact you can handload any .45 cal bullet. If your thinking the 500 now your bullet choices are much less.
I have a 460 already, looking for another big bore.

I am a hand loader for sure, could not shoot these guns otherwise. You probably know, you should not load 45 caliber bullets in the 460 unless they are sufficiently hard to prevent deformation in the forcing cone. I stick with hard cast of 20 BHN or more hardness and Jacketed bullets made for the Casull and 460 specifically.

Like I said, all the data I have for the 460 calls for a Magnum primer and I believe that is true for the 500 also with the exception of the brass made for Large Pistol Magnums that I mentioned above.

Shoot Straight.

Tags
500 s&w , h110 , primers