The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2018, 07:13 PM   #1
5pins

Self Defense Ammunition Survey

I put together a small survey hoping to get an idea of what kind of ammunition people are using in their defense pistols. I tried to make it as complete as I could but I'm sure I missed some. I can modify as the survey goes on if I see something that needs to be addressed. It only takes a minute if you would like to contribute.

https://goo.gl/forms/ASPHFAprmJkowzul2
Old January 7, 2018, 08:14 PM   #2
TXAZ

Done, hope you'll publish the results.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 7, 2018, 08:19 PM   #3
5pins

Here is a link to the running results.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F.../viewanalytics
Old January 7, 2018, 08:30 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

Nice. Thanks.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD
Old January 8, 2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Got to the third question. Brand. All credability in your survey went out the window. According to you Speer, the makers of one of the most popular SD rounds Gold Dot was not even on the list. "Othet" is npt where Speer Gold Dot should be!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 8, 2018, 01:51 PM   #6
fastbolt

If I may ask, what's the purpose of your survey?

I couldn't get past the first question because it presumed my choice of retirement CCW weapons is predicated upon a "primary" caliber, which isn't the case.

Instead, just like when I was carrying an off-duty weapon, it's primarily the size/type of concealable weapon that's thought to be appropriate and suitable to the anticipated conditions and circumstances I envision, that primarily concerns me, and doesn't involve a specific "primary caliber", per se.

Caliber is of much less concern to me than the size, type, design and reliability of the actual weapon, itself.

Is there a reason you're interested in caliber and ammunition type for your survey?

I looked at the other link for the ongoing "results", and it quickly got mired down in the minutia of bullet weights & styles within various calibers, etc.

Even as a longtime LE firearms instructor, it's hard to generate much interest in personal choices of gear, compared to the gear user's personal knowledge, skills and demonstrated abilities.

Kind of like asking if a motorist has a primary brand and octane rating of the gasoline they use every day.
Old January 8, 2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What about handloads?

Yes, I am aware of the reasons why many attorneys recommend against carrying handloads, and I only carry factory ammo for personal defense. BUT ... there are many people, including on this forum, who don't subscribe to that theory and who carry their own handloads. Some probably even carry handloads using their own cast bullets. Where do those fit into your survey?
Old January 8, 2018, 04:02 PM   #8
5pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Got to the third question. Brand. All credability in your survey went out the window. According to you Speer, the makers of one of the most popular SD rounds Gold Dot was not even on the list. "Othet" is npt where Speer Gold Dot should be!
It's listed as CCI/Speer

Last edited by 5pins; January 8, 2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old January 8, 2018, 04:08 PM   #9
5pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
If I may ask, what's the purpose of your survey?

I couldn't get past the first question because it presumed my choice of retirement CCW weapons is predicated upon a "primary" caliber, which isn't the case.

Instead, just like when I was carrying an off-duty weapon, it's primarily the size/type of concealable weapon that's thought to be appropriate and suitable to the anticipated conditions and circumstances I envision, that primarily concerns me, and doesn't involve a specific "primary caliber", per se.

Caliber is of much less concern to me than the size, type, design and reliability of the actual weapon, itself.

Is there a reason you're interested in caliber and ammunition type for your survey?

I looked at the other link for the ongoing "results", and it quickly got mired down in the minutia of bullet weights & styles within various calibers, etc.

Even as a longtime LE firearms instructor, it's hard to generate much interest in personal choices of gear, compared to the gear user's personal knowledge, skills and demonstrated abilities.

Kind of like asking if a motorist has a primary brand and octane rating of the gasoline they use every day.
You are really over thinking this. It's just because I find it interesting, and thought other people may also.
Old January 8, 2018, 06:54 PM   #10
5pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
What about handloads?

Yes, I am aware of the reasons why many attorneys recommend against carrying handloads, and I only carry factory ammo for personal defense. BUT ... there are many people, including on this forum, who don't subscribe to that theory and who carry their own handloads. Some probably even carry handloads using their own cast bullets. Where do those fit into your survey?
There is an option for handloads.
Old January 8, 2018, 10:02 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pins
There is an option for handloads.
I didn't see it. If respondents have to go searching to find what they're using, the survey needs to be redesigned.
Old January 8, 2018, 10:36 PM   #12
Dufus

I found the CCI/Speer and the Handload category on the first scan, and this was before the first post was made

There is nothing wrong with the layout.
Old January 8, 2018, 11:50 PM   #13
5pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I didn't see it. If respondents have to go searching to find what they're using, the survey needs to be redesigned.
It’s the third or fourth question, depending on what caliber you pick, at the bottom of section “Ammunition Make”.
Old January 9, 2018, 12:06 AM   #14
BigJimP

Interesting ....thanks
Old January 9, 2018, 01:15 AM   #15
reteach

5pins - I appreciate this and the gel-test results you've been posting. Every bit of information we can get is helpful. Might not be the final word, but it's all helpful.
Old January 9, 2018, 01:35 AM   #16
Viper225

Interesting Survey.

I switch around my carry pistols during the year.
At the moment I am carrying my Glock 23 with 155 Winchester Silvertips. I have several 50 round box's from when I was in Law Enforcement.
I also carry my Colt 1911 some with 230 Golden Sabers.
Summer I carry my revolvers more. S&W M64 2" and S&W 315 Night Guard 2-3/4": I carry 38 Specials with Speer Gold Dots in both 125 and 135 grain weights. S&W M66 3": I carry the Speer Gold Dots in 125 and 135 in 357 Magnum.

I listed the 40 S&W 155 as my main carry load.

I was totally amazed at the number shooting 9mm. Most of the folks I am around shoot a lot. I would say among them it is about 50/50 between 9mm and 40 S&W.

Like was said above. Keep up the testing. I like to see your results.

Bob R
Old January 9, 2018, 06:40 AM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
It’s the third or fourth question, depending on what caliber you pick, at the bottom of section “Ammunition Make”.
I went back and found it. Everything else is alphabetical, but you put "Handloads" at the bottom rather than alphabetically. Your survey, your choice, but that's not where I would have expected to see it. IMHO the only one that belongs out of alphabetical order is "Other," because that always comes last in a survey.
Old January 9, 2018, 01:04 PM   #18
Damon555

A free, unscientific survey and people still gotta complain about it.....Good god guys! This is just a little informal fun......Don't get offended by something that's totally voluntary.

I was surprised that I wasn't the only one carrying a 44 Special
Old January 9, 2018, 02:46 PM   #19
5pins

It hit 600 so I thought that would be a good place to stop. Thanks to everyone who participated.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:45 AM   #20
Hilltop Shooter

Fine work. Thanks for for gathering the info for us. Not sure why anyone would complain? They just HAVE to i guess.

Thanks again