The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 17, 2018, 12:22 PM   #51
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
I understand that trigger pull is a part of accuracy.

What is a good trigger pull?

Noticed the Ruger SR9 is 6.5 lbs striker fired. It's listed as double action only. Interesting how odd triggers can be called by different names.
1.) When you aim , it seems to fires the gun by your thought .
2.) You hit what you are aiming at most of the time.
3.) when using it...it puts a smile on you face and a song in your heart .
4.) A target trigger job done by Clark Custom Guns.

I have a target trigger job by Clark Custom on a simple Ruger MKII it fulfills 1 -3 and brings me more pleasure than a lovely willing woman.

At least once in your life you need to experience a truly custom target trigger job on a handgun...it's just so sweet . Put it on your bucket list.
Gary
Old January 17, 2018, 10:33 PM   #52
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Free Pistol shooters adjust their triggers for the minimum weight permitted.
I think the free pistol category is something all together different than what most of us are using our pistols for at the range, let alone in defensive situations.

I learned on DA pistols. I still dry fire a RG something or other DA revolver frequently to practice trigger control.

If the trigger weight goes over about ten pounds it starts to be problematic. Under ten pounds is better. The factory norm of about 5-7 pounds works great for me.

I don't even mind reasonable pre-travel or over travel.

What kills me is grit or sponginess. Any grit or sponginess and I can't stand to shoot a firearm.

Several companies are custom printing shoes. I don't imagine it will be too long before similar technology is used to print grip modifications. I am guessing that will change some of how people feel about triggers as I notice many people do not have proper grip on gun, thus their finger is not positioned on the trigger correctly, and a lighter weight allows them to get away with it.
Old January 24, 2018, 08:31 PM   #53
jad0110

Quote:
You guys talk of the "1911 family". Which one?

A lot of companies make a 1911. Are they all the same trigger?
They are all basically the same design, but quality varies WIDELY. I'm in the minority on this, but most people think all 1911s have great triggers because they are short and light. But honestly, many are gritty, rough and generally sloppy out of the box.

For me, pull weight within reason isn't a factor - my S&W 642 J Frame is probably up around 13 lbs but it is slick as snot and breaks cleanly. I don't "talk myself down" by telling myself "it's 13 lbs so it is impossible."
Consequently, it was easier to shoot well than either of my out of the box 1911s which had terrible (Springfield Mil-Spec) and marginal triggers (Colt Series 70 repro).

These days, I've gotten to the point where as long as the actual break itself is fairly clean (the point at which the sear releases the hammer or striker), I can achieve a decent level of "combat accuracy" at 15 yard distances. For such work, a perfect trigger really isn't necessary.