The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2018, 06:41 PM   #26
308Loader

I am a 9mm TG convert. skeptical at first, but now am on my second # of it. meters really well out of my measure, a little goes a long way, great for plinking rounds, plated or jacketed. Runs pretty clean for me, and yes its hot, but not to the point that I'm concerned about it. I don't shoot jerry miculek fast (except when I try and fail), nor do I own a full auto. If barrel is hot, I switch guns or take a break for a min, change targets, load some mags, shoot the s#!t with guys at the range... The charge weight window is some what narrow in the 9mm, I tend to load at the lower end 4.0-4.1 or so, works well with all 3 of my 9mm. As far as the concern of double charging, I can fit 2 charges of 4.0 in one case. It is super obvious when it is over charged, if this is a concern, I would suggest paying more attention to what your loading.

"Never his mind on where he is, what he is doing" - Master Yoda

my 2cents, for what its worth.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:26 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

Good post 308Loader.

Name a pistol propellant that I have used, and I can name a characteristic that's unique to it. All propellants are different. I guess that's why they make for such great forum fodder.

The only time TiteGroup running hot is a problem for me (aside from not using lead slugs) is when I am practicing with my Model 67 for competition. I'm shooting six, speedloading; shooting six, speedloading; rinse, lather, repeat. In that situation, after about six or seven speedloaders full, the gun is too hot to handle. I have to put it down and give it a rest. But hey, I'm at the range - how bad can it be? Perspective

All-in-all, I give TiteGroup a big thumbs up.

It meters fantastic. Along with that consistent metering is consistent velocities at the range. TG stands up to the chronograph with low Extreme Spreads and Standard Deviations. And when it comes to the fear of double-charges, etc., 308Loader nailed it: "if this is a concern, I would suggest paying more attention to what you're loading." Perhaps a bit blunt, but the point remains. Don't set a bullet atop a case without checking its charge level - however you need to do that.

Runs super clean. It does get persnickity in 38 Special turned way down. When stepping the charge down, it suddenly gets grainy - but not sooty. I suspect this phenomenon would be much harder to duplicate in semi-auto cases. Furthermore, there isn't hardly any reason to turn them down that far anyway (I'm the exception. I do a lot of odd experimentation with 38 Spl.).

Economical. Not that I choose propellants based on economy (the least expensive of the components). But a little bit really does go a long way.

Stick with plated (or jacketed); load to "range practice" levels; and TiteGroup will serve you every bit as good as any other propellant. And better than most.
Old January 11, 2018, 05:40 PM   #28
pete2

I've shot several pounds of it in 9MM. Seems to work but I've never tried it for accuracy. I may load some in .38 and .45 and see if it does work for accuracy. Happy with WST and Bullseye for bullseye shooting.
Clays works well but availability sucks. I plan to work up loads with Green Dot in the .45 and 9 mm at some point. Green Dot is accurate in the .38 but doesn't burn well at low charges.
Old January 11, 2018, 06:23 PM   #29
BBarn

Titegroup is quite versatile as well. I've shot some good (for me) groups from my 454 Casull with a "practice" load using Titegroup. Of course a Casull practice load is about like a Ruger/TC only 45 Colt load.
Old January 14, 2018, 06:37 AM   #30
RSKENT

For 115 grain plated 9mm "Glock Chow", Tightgroup is my favorite powder. I’m not sure I would want to us it in all the calibers mentioned in this thread. For example, in 45 I like AA#2 or 231 or even Bullseye much better. And I just can’t see using Tightgroup for a magnum caliber. But if it works for you, it tickles me to death.
Old January 14, 2018, 10:22 AM   #31
sbwaters

In my CZ75B, TG doesn’t run hot as far as the back end of my 9MM 125 gr. RN Blue Bullets are concerned. They like it.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:58 PM   #32
jhansman

Quote:
Because of the very small charge weights, there is a clear and present danger of double charge or more.
Ummm, no, not really, if you are paying attention to what you are doing. Then again, I don't use a powder measure, and I inspect every charged case before the bullet is seated (single stage keeps you involved in every step). Yes, it doesn't take much for most calibers, but all the more reason to keep your eyes open. Hot? No evidence of this in my .357 or .45ACP loads.