The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 18, 2018, 02:53 AM   #1
smellslikevictory

charging handle/bolt question

I let a friend (owns his own ARs) touch my AR (never happening again btw) and he pulled the charging handle back, locked the bolt, then hit the bolt release with the charging handle still all the way rearward. Should I be worried about possible damage because of this? I inspected the handle and gas key and there doesnt seem to be anything out of the ordinary.
Old November 18, 2018, 05:27 AM   #2
armoredman

I wouldn't think so.
Old November 18, 2018, 08:51 AM   #3
jmr40

Bolt close on an empty chamber? That practice can, over time damage some 1911's and is generally considered bad practice. How much if any harm it does with other firearms is debatable. It isn't something I make a habit of, but I'd not worry about it.

Winston Churchill
Old November 18, 2018, 10:50 AM   #4
MarkCO

Nope, should not hurt a thing. Even though a round is not being stripped off of a magazine, the closing force will still be less than during firing on an AR15.
Old November 18, 2018, 12:23 PM   #5
imashooter

No problem and no problem closing bolt on empty AR.
Old November 18, 2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Nathan

A non-issue on a reasonably in spec rifle.
Old November 18, 2018, 12:37 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

Quote:
then hit the bolt release with the charging handle still all the way rearward. Should I be worried about possible damage because of this?
A couple of things to consider...
First, the AR design has been in US military service for over half a century and has seen considerable combat use, and has been handled in every possible way in and out of garrison by GIs. So letting the bolt snap closed on an empty chamber with the charging handle all the way back has happened a LOT. (like, literally millions of times)
If there was something about doing that which caused damage (or undue wear), it would be a well recognized issue by now.

Second, and a bit more direct, what happens when you charge the rifle? Exactly the same thing. You pull the handle (all the way) back, and let it go. It flies forward with the closing bolt carrier. That is the normal and expected mode of operation.

regarding the charging handle, the very slight difference in bolt carrier velocity between pushing a round or empty is inconsequential.
Old November 18, 2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Theohazard

Welcome to TFL!

Your friend didn't hurt a thing, so there's no reason to be concerned and no reason to ban him from touching your ARs. Your post hints that you may have been hard on him for doing that; if so, you might want to apologize and tell him he actually didn't hurt your rifle at all.
Old November 18, 2018, 07:45 PM   #9
Mobuck

Quite often, I release the bolt by racking the CH and letting the bolt drive home. Unless your gas key is off center(which needs to be fixed anyway), there's nothing wrong with this.
Old November 19, 2018, 06:38 AM   #10
Metal god

You know , you think you know and then a thread like this comes along . I've built several AR's , almost getting to the point of lots of them . I shoot them often as well as tinker with them all the time . If I was showing someone an AR and they did that I'd say don't do that . Well until today and reading this

Quote:
what happens when you charge the rifle? Exactly the same thing. You pull the handle (all the way) back, and let it go. It flies forward with the closing bolt carrier.
oh-man do I feel silly , that did not even cross my mind . Where's the FACEPLANT emoji when you need it lol .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 20, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old November 19, 2018, 07:39 AM   #11
Ibmikey

In my hand is a 1911 Colt. ( in response to #3 above) it is over 100 years old and never been through a rebuild, has little finish bore heavily corroded before I got it and has had the slide run forward on an empty chamber all of it’s life I would guess, certainly all the years I have had it I must have done it a bazillion Times give or take a dozen... when in the Army I worked in the arms maintenance section for a time, pistols were checked out daily slides slamming forward on empty chambers.....there is just not any appreciable wear occurring because of this practice ....yet there are those who make the statement because someone told them damage will happen.
Same with the AR platform, like indicated by 44 AMP it happens daily and does not hurt a thing.
Old November 19, 2018, 07:42 AM   #12
cecILL

Done it hundreds of times, and have to agree that slamming the bolt doesn't hurt. But I don't do to my firearms.
Old November 20, 2018, 03:01 PM   #13
arlaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
Welcome to TFL!

Your friend didn't hurt a thing, so there's no reason to be concerned and no reason to ban him from touching your ARs. Your post hints that you may have been hard on him for doing that; if so, you might want to apologize and tell him he actually didn't hurt your rifle at all.
+1
Old November 20, 2018, 07:01 PM   #14
stagpanther

Unless your buddy was looking right down the bore at the muzzle when he did this--I don't think you need to worry about unfriending him or any damage to your gun.