The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 30, 2015, 05:16 PM   #26
AK103K

Mmmm, are you sure about that?

If it starts out as a rifle, and you cut the barrel back past 16", its now a SBR, is it not?

I believe the Mares Legs are sold as handguns.
Old July 30, 2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Dragline45

Deleted

Last edited by Dragline45; July 30, 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old July 30, 2015, 05:27 PM   #28
AK103K

Quote:
Only if you keep the buttstock intact. Cutting down the buttstock so only the grip portion is useable makes it a pistol.
But it started life as a "rifle", its still considered a rifle to the ATF, and its now a SBR if the barrel is less than 16", stock or not.

The Mares Legs being sold, start out as a pistol, and have to be SBR'd, if you add the stock.
Old July 30, 2015, 05:30 PM   #29
Dragline45

Damn your right, forgot about that little bit. Just more nonsense from the ATF.
Old July 30, 2015, 06:11 PM   #30
AK103K

Quote:
Just more nonsense from the ATF.
Yea, it always seems to be something. And the more fun it is, the more they seem to want to get involved.
Old July 30, 2015, 08:03 PM   #31
PatientWolf

I'm going to try to get over and talk the the smith this weekend to see if there are any new developments.

The SBR is really not an option since I don't want to put money into a stamp.

I will take a look and see what he is seeing on the barrel. The new custom barrel would be more than I want to throw into it. Unfortunately there's a big (although understandable) difference between a factory barrel cost and a custom barrel cost.
Old July 31, 2015, 01:13 AM   #32
FrankenMauser

I see that Dragline45 edited his original post, so my reply may be in regards to something that's now out of context. But, just in case there's some confusion over the muzzle device legality....

Quote:
Mmmm, are you sure about that?

If it starts out as a rifle, and you cut the barrel back past 16", its now a SBR, is it not?

I believe the Mares Legs are sold as handguns.
If you permanently install a muzzle device that brings the barrel length back to at least 16 inches, it is legal. The "permanently installed" qualifier is the key. Permanently installing something makes it integral to the barrel and, therefore, a part of the barrel - not an attachment.

I own an upper receiver for an AR-style rifle, which has a 14.5" barrel. However, it also has a pinned and welded muzzle brake installed. That brake brings (legal) barrel length to 16.25". As such, it can be a "rifle" without the need for a tax stamp. It doesn't change the fact that performance is based on the muzzle being at the 14.5" mark, but it does make it legal as a rifle.

On the other hand... when I was initially testing that upper receiver and had not yet had the muzzle brake permanently installed, it was 100% illegal to install on a lower receiver with a butt stock. For testing, I had to use that beast on a "pistol" lower, in order to make sure I wouldn't get a complimentary visit from the ATF.

I could even make the upper receiver for my 7.5" AR pistol into a "rifle" upper, if I wanted. All I would need to do is have a 10" piece of tubing threaded, and then get it pinned and welded for permanent installation. At that point, it would be a 17.5" barrel, in the eyes of the law.
It would be stupid, because I would have the performance of a 7.5" barrel, combined with the negative effects of a 10" piece of tubing hanging past the true muzzle, but it would be legal on a lower receiver with a butt stock.
Old July 31, 2015, 01:53 AM   #33
gyvel

From Browning's "Obsolete parts" page on their website:

Quote:
Barrels

Western Gun Part Limited
17324 106 A Avenue
Edmonton AB, T5S1E6
Phone: 780-489-5711
Fax: 780-489-5717
Email
SIFE
Old July 31, 2015, 09:16 AM   #34
Dragline45

Quote:
I see that Dragline45 edited his original post, so my reply may be in regards to something that's now out of context. But, just in case there's some confusion over the muzzle device legality....
The post I edited was recommending that turning it into a Mares Leg was an option since it would be considered a pistol not an SBR, but I forgot about the ATF ruling that if it started it's life out as a rifle, it can't be turned into a pistol unless a new unused receiver is put on the gun.

But you are correct about the muzzle device, I also have a 14.5" AR that has a 1.5" comp pinned and welded to bring it up to the 16" length requirement.
Old August 2, 2015, 09:48 PM   #35
HiBC

Browning 92 Carbine converted to 92 Rifle

Its interesting to me that folks get all fired up if someone wants to "Bubba" a milsurp,yet a discontinued Browning 92 gets a lot of "cut it down and weld a pickle on it"advice.

This was the Browning carbine I described in an earlier post.I made the stock from a board,Cut the tapered octagon barrel from a Douglas blank,made the mag tubeand mod'd an 1886 Win forend cap.I did a boiling water rust blue with Mark Lee browning solution.I just carded the brown off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brownchester post.JPG (19.3 KB, 68 views)
Old August 3, 2015, 09:20 PM   #36
PatientWolf

HiBC it looks nice. Unfortunately, a re-barrel is beyond what I want to hire done and I dint have the capability to do it myself.

I saw the ring bulge and it is on the receiver side of the barrel band on the fore stock
Old August 3, 2015, 10:04 PM   #37
DanTSX

Sell it for parts.

Unless you are handier than the hamfisted gunsmith that already worked on the gun, you'll be throwing good money after bad. There is no way to inexpensively get to where you want to go without the ability to do a lot of the work yourself.

Let someone with their own well-equipped home hobby metal shop fool around with it.
Old August 10, 2015, 05:49 AM   #38
Ibmikey

Remember the Browning is metric and Winchester parts probably will not fit.
Old August 22, 2015, 02:59 PM   #39
Malamute

Quote:
We bought two Douglas basic unturned barrel blanks.

Time they were done,only the action itself was used.
What did you do with the original barrels and other parts you took off both guns?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 23, 2015, 03:16 PM   #40
4V50 Gary
Staff

bulged barrel? That can be fixed with a new barrel. It's a matter of threading and then headspacing it before cutting the profile to match, making an extractor cut and finally dovetails for the sights.
Old September 26, 2015, 08:10 AM   #41
PatientWolf

Still looking for barrel

if anyone knows of a take-off barrel in .44 Mag I'd appreciate if you could pass the information on.

Does anyone know if browning has plans to produce the B92 again, making parts available?

As an alternative, I'd be interested in hearing about recommendations on a reasonable supplier of semi custom barrels. If I go that route, I'd probably move to a 21" barrel with a threaded end for future suppressor.
Old September 26, 2015, 09:46 AM   #42
natman

Browning probably doesn't have any plans to sell Miroku made 92s as Brownings because Winchester is currently selling them as Winchesters.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...22C&mid=534162
Old September 26, 2015, 10:14 AM   #43
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked Western Gun Parts, Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.), Brownell's, or maybe Jack First?

Browning B92:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact.../B92-38566.htm

Numrich doesn't show the barrel, part # 1, but you can call them for availability.
Old September 26, 2015, 12:16 PM   #44
Goatwhiskers

Here's something to consider: Miroku made Brownings have metric threads, I'll bet good money that Miroku made Winchesters have them too. There is the possibility that a Winnie barrel could be make to fit--headspace, etc. Do some digging, the threads likely are the same. GW
Old September 26, 2015, 03:43 PM   #45
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If worst comes to worse, call Miroku, or write them. They're liable to have surplus lying around.

You'll have to use Google translate on this link:

http://www.miroku-jp.com/

http://www.miroku-jp.com/gun/winchester/index.html
Old September 26, 2015, 08:14 PM   #46
gyvel

Western Gun parts is your best bet.
SIFE