The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Old 454

CZ Shadow 2

I shot a friend of mines at the range the other day...
That is one nice shooting pistol.

How many of you have the Shadow 2 and what is your experience with them..the good...the bad and the ugly

Do share

Thanks
Old February 24, 2019, 06:27 PM   #2
fl_rich

Ther is no ugly! Dont own one but have several other CZ metal pistols and they are all the bees knees I love em! There all great shooters and after a little break in there smooth as can be. Short take up, good reset smooth break. Add some Cajun Gunworks magica nd there hard to beat. At any price.
Old February 24, 2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I have the Shadow 2 and it's incredible for the money. The one and only "downside" I can possibly mention is the weight - but that's entirely intentional. It's not a carry gun.

Other than that, it's absolute perfection. I really hope that one day CZ will release an update Shadowline Compact in the Shadow 2 styling - alloy frame, Shadow 2 slide cuts, no firing pin block. They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.
Old February 25, 2019, 02:35 AM   #4
mellow_c

I’m in the same boat as you three!!!

I also recently shot one that was not mine. It was brand new, first time out. The the guy said he would let me shoot it but only after he shot a few mags first, because he’d never fired it before. He did ok with it. Baseball sized groups at 10 yards on a paper silhouette target.
When it was my turn I picked it up and started admiring it, as I had never heard of it before. I didn’t know what it was or what it was supposed to be other than a CZ.
The first thing I said was “This thing is a tank!” admiring the all steel construction. I quickly realized that this was a really well built, very smooth, nicely fit, and high quality firearm.
I liked that it has the ability to be cocked and locked. I didn’t realize it is also a double action first pull if you want, but I guess I should have known being that it is a CZ.

He loaded up a full magazine for me and told me to go ahead and shoot the head on his silhouette target. I protested a bit suggesting that I leave the head for him to shoot at and that I would just shoot a corner of the target. However, he insisted. So, for my first shot, I took my time, standing unsupported at 10 yards, I placed my finger on the nice feeling trigger and gently applied pressure straight back until it broke. The shot felt so nice and it punched a clean hole in the exact center of the head. Perfect bullseye. I followed up with at least 14 more shots, the first few of which went through practically the same hole, opening the group up to no more than a dime at 10 yards.

When it was all over, my group was maybe a little bigger than a half dollar. First time shooting it for me., probably only the 4-5th mag though it since brand new. And to be honest, I wasn’t trying as hard as I could have, I mean, I didn’t want to sit there and hang on to the guys new gun for a few minutes to really take my time with each shot. So I took each shot about as soon as I had the gun settled in back on target.

I understand that this is a really nice handgun, and that it is geared towards competition shooting, but I would love it if they made a CZ like this (a shadow 2) that didn’t weigh so much. It’s my understanding that in addition to a slightly longer barrel and slide, they intentionally added extra weight to this gun, specifically to make it a softer shooter. There is hardly any recoil on this gun because all that weight soaks it up, which is awesome for super speed competition shooting, but I’d like to see the same design trimmed down a little, maybe even loose the accessory rail too, although I like the barrel length.

All in all, I can’t say anything bad about this gun. It’s a tank and tanks are cool.

You could use this for whatever purpose you choose. Competition, target shooting, home defense, open carry, concealed carry. . . and it will obviously do better at some of those things than others. But when it’s all said and done, I think it’s a really fine shooter that is very well made and interesting. And I guess it’s pretty reasonably priced considering what it is and you can pick one up for around $1000.

I look forward to anyone else’s comments on the Shadow 2.

Last edited by mellow_c; February 25, 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old February 25, 2019, 03:06 PM   #5
LAFOshooter

The Good: The Shadow 2 makes me look better as a shooter! My club scores increases by 15% across all matches i shoot.

The Bad: i only have one, i and i dont shoot it more

The Ugly: My range mates jealousy when we go shoot and they use it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 26, 2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Old 454

Good deal...
Looks like I will be getting one for my birthday...
Now I see they also have a CZ Bull Shadow 2

Decisions decisions
Old February 26, 2019, 06:44 PM   #7
mellow_c

CZ Bull Shadow 2?!?!?!?

What’s the difference between it and the regular Shadow 2???
Old February 26, 2019, 06:50 PM   #8
WVsig

Good gun which is an outstanding value right out of the box. With some CGW upgrades it is AMAZING. Pro package with a 10X bushing makes this thing super fun and easy to shoot. When you consider after the CGW package you are still right around $1500 it is one of the best values in the market.

If you don't go full CGW at least swap the springs.
Old February 26, 2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Old 454

The CZ Bull Shadow 2 is a Shadow 2 with a bull barrel and I think there might some trigger work on it