The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 11, 2021, 08:17 PM   #1
davetherogue

New to me Lee Enfield no5 mk1

So I just got a 3/45 Lee Enfield no5 mk1. Traded about 500 rounds of mixed 357 and 38 Special for it. It is an ROF (f) bolt, recieved and magazine are all matching. Looks like the only thing maintained on this rifle was the action and bore. Very smooth action functions flawlessly and the barrel is bright shiny with no damage to the lands and grooves which are still very proud. Doing the full strip down on this rifle was a bear as the stock buttpad had stuck screws, the buttstock screw required an automotive screwdriver and a crescent wrench to break loose. I'm not sure how long the rifle has gone without a full strip down and cleaning. I will say just breaking it down left me and my workspace filthy. Cleaning the wood has been an educational experience as the layers of grime come off all of the cartouches on the stock came back into view. What I thought was good wood after a cleaning may turn out to be excellent condition under the years of sweat and dirt and mud and old general grime it looks like the original finish on the wood is actually well preserved. Any tips for waxing after a fresh coat of 50/50 raw linseed oil and turpentine?
Old June 12, 2021, 05:00 AM   #2
darkgael

Enjoy the result of your work. I wish that I had mine back (I gave it to my son). In any case, google the Lee-enfield mad minute. If you haven’t already looked at it, it is worth the time.
Old June 14, 2021, 06:55 PM   #3
moose fat

Yes, wax everything, Renaissance Wax works very well. Wax lasts longer and wears better than linseed oil, and gun oil on the metal.
After how many years I finally figured that out, after living in the Great Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

First Post, Welcome to the Firing Line!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2227541091

Last edited by moose fat; June 14, 2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old June 15, 2021, 05:27 PM   #4
gwpercle

I re-oiled all the freshly cleaned wood on my No.4 MKI BSA with several rubbed in coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish . A much nicer finish than raw linseed oil and turpintine ...which never really dries ... the reason you have to then wax it ...if you don't the stock will be sticky .
The Tung Oil Finish has a little hardner in it so it will make a durable finish not soft and sticky .
It really looks good too .
The No. 5 MKI are the sweethearts of the bunch all trim and tidy ,
Nice score !
Gary