The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2001, 03:38 AM   #1
Romulus

This is about pure vanity and fickleness, but I can't stand the heavy bead-blast job on the 870 express. I've done some pretty decent stoning on a 1911 frame after a thorough intro by a truly good smith. The question I have is there enough metal on the essentially unfinished x-press receiver. The bead blasting doesn't seem to go any deeper than the even uglier forge marks which presumably are polished out for what will become Wingmasters.

I know some will counsel to leave alone. In principle, can this be done and still have enough meat on the receiver? Just theoretically, now...
Old January 31, 2001, 09:17 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Romulus, yes there is enough. Unless a firearm is deeply pitted normal polishing doesn't remove enough material to be a concern. George
Old January 31, 2001, 09:33 PM   #3
Romulus

Yes, but have you seen the holes left by the Remington bead blasting machine? It's like a peened surface, like shot blasted...

Still okay?
Old February 1, 2001, 02:57 AM   #4
Romulus

Sorry if I belabor the point...what about the magazine tube? It's pretty thin stuff to begin with

Thanks
Old February 1, 2001, 08:40 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Romulus, I don't know what yours looks like but I have an Express magnum in the shop right now and I wouldn't hesitate to polish it. Magazine tube too. George
Old February 1, 2001, 03:53 PM   #6
Romulus

Much obliged...
Old February 2, 2001, 11:11 PM   #7
DeBee

Wait Wait... I have the OPPOSITE problem...

There is a Remington 870 Wingmaster on my bench that needs to be bead blasted or shot peened then parked in preparation for the ultimate dual purpose deer/self defense gun...

I think it's easier to find a good used gun (with a metal trigger guard assy.) for $150-200 rather than going through all that polishing (or peening).

But then you might end up like me with more 870's than you know what to do with... then you need more room in your safe or another safe and so on and so on...
Old February 3, 2001, 05:33 AM   #8
Romulus

Forgive me if I offer a naive opinion, but there seems to be a world of difference between the delicate bead blasting that typically preceeds parkerizing, and the boulder blasting that Remington imparts on its Express line of 870 shotguns.

It might simply be my untrained eye...