The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 6, 2016, 04:45 PM   #76
AK103K

This is really the only one Ive kept this close a watch on. Tried it with a few others over the years, but usually lost interest over time.

This one has been easy, since I shoot it every week, and pretty much always the same amount of rounds each outing, so its easier to keep track.
Old July 7, 2016, 10:46 AM   #77
Ozzieman

Nice thread, glad you’re keeping it going.
I also track round count but only for a couple of guns like my Charter arms bull dog. 900 if I remember right and most were Winchester silver tip.
My 26 is at 1200. That is a joke count compared to yours.
I had the same reliability issue as yours and found it was my powder charge on my 34. All my other 9mm’s would take my 231 charge and but the 34 needed a couple of 10’s more.
I put a wolf barrel on my 34 so I can use lead.
Do you have a guess on your failures?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 7, 2016, 05:10 PM   #78
AK103K

Failures as far as ammo goes, really havent had that many. I shoot my brass to failure, and usually dont notice the splits until Im prepping the brass. In the last 6-8 months or so, Ive been using Remington primers I got cheap ($20/1000), and have had a few duds in the mix with the couple of thousand Ive shot (the bulk of them are currently at the back of the que, so well see if it continues when they come up). I just use them for practice so its just more IAD material. Bought 10000 of them and Im almost through them now.

I usually use CCI and have never had an issue with them.

What I do notice as the brass starts to go is, the rims get chewed up over time and I start to get a noticeable number of malfunctions (I also start seeing a lot more split cases). Most are stovepipe/ejection type stoppages, but the occasional double feed isnt all that unusual. Great for practicing malfunction drils, as they are completely random and unexpected.
Old July 7, 2016, 08:20 PM   #79
Ozzieman

Every try Winchester? I purchased 20K several years ago and I am about half way though them and never had a failure.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 7, 2016, 08:37 PM   #80
AK103K

Factory wise, I have shot a good amount of Winchester, Federal, Speer, etc. Both the "premium" versions, and the "practice" stuff. Never really had any issues with any of them that I can remember.

Most of what I shoot are my reloads, as they are the most cost effective. I normally buy my factory ammo by the case, which usually works out to about half of what the local shops charge for the same ammo. My reloads are usually less than half of what I pay for the ammo by the case.

There was a time back in the 90s when it was actually cheaper to by military surplus, Norinco/China Sports, etc, than it was to buy the components to reload. Miss those days, but it is what it is. Reloading is the only way I get to shoot as much as I do, and Im doing it constantly.
Old July 7, 2016, 09:53 PM   #81
Ozzieman

Sorry I should have been more clear.
I was talking about Winchester primers

Old July 8, 2016, 12:34 AM   #82
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
There was a time back in the 90s when it was actually cheaper to by military surplus, Norinco/China Sports, etc, than it was to buy the components to reload. Miss those days, but it is what it is.
I miss them too. Clinton helped put an end to them by banning most Chinese small arms and ammunition.
Old July 8, 2016, 03:49 AM   #83
AK103K

Quote:
I was talking about Winchester primers
I have used Winchester primers when the CCI's werent available, and had no problems with them in my handguns.

I did have some trouble with them in my AR's though, as I was getting slamfires/bursts out of the ammo loaded with them. Ill pass on them with the auto rifles.

Quote:
Clinton helped put an end to them by banning most Chinese small arms and ammunition.
Yup, and I fear round two is looming.
Old July 8, 2016, 05:44 AM   #84
TMD

Only have about 20k rounds through my G35 and only took me about 7 years. Guess its just getting broken in and at this rate I'll be dead and buried before ever approaching 100k.
Old June 6, 2019, 07:26 AM   #85
AK103K

Not to bring up the dead, but this is sort of a "respawn" in a couple of ways.

I finally had something serious break on the above 17. The left rear rail broke off about two weeks ago. Semi-official round count was 147,400 rounds. I had trigger springs go at around 90 and 120,000, but they were easy fixes. This one wasnt.

Its actually got probably better than 150,000 through it, but Ive only been counting the 300 a week I shot through it over the past decade, and that wasnt always the case, a lot of weeks it was more.

Gun was still running with the rail broke, but I did notice a couple of weird malfunctions when I first started shooting (I assumed thats when it went), and accuracy was a bit different. It was throwing occasional flyers here and there that I didnt call. Found out what happened when I got home and was cleaning the gun.

I called Glock to see what my options were. While looking for the number I found out that Glock only has a "1 year" warranty, which was a bit of a surprise and shock.

I brought this up while talking to them, and they said to send it in, they would look at it "might" still be covered. So in it went.

Got a call a couple of days later, and they said they were covering it under warranty and would replace the frame, and rebuild the rest of the gun. Go Glock!

Got her back yesterday afternoon, and as far as I can tell by the repair order list, it looks like the only thing original left is the barrel, slide, and night sights. They put a new Gen 3 frame with a "G" serial number on it and rebuilt the gun.

Total cost to me, was the $25 it cost to send it down.

Contrary to what you often hear, "stippling" the grip doesnt appear to void the warranty. They never even brought it up when I was talking to them. In fact, all they really said was, "we'll fix it". Didnt ask me any questions about it.

Nor does it being 9 years out of warranty seem to be an issue either.

Anyway, Im happy all around. Looks like you can shoot Glocks to death and they will take care of you. Works for me! Go Glock!
Old June 6, 2019, 09:11 AM   #86
OhioGuy

You should wear a Glock shirt and get them to sponsor you, like the YouTube gun celebs. Maybe they'll start covering the costs of your ammo!
Old June 6, 2019, 09:25 AM   #87
precision_shooter

Glocks just work and work. Then when they don’t it’s an easy fix by the usher usually. Hearing how Glock took care of you after that length of time and number of rounds just solidified me as a “Glock guy”
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 6, 2019, 10:22 AM   #88
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
You should wear a Glock shirt and get them to sponsor you, like the YouTube gun celebs. Maybe they'll start covering the costs of your ammo!
LOL. Yea, maybe. I didnt get any offers though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
Glocks just work and work. Then when they don’t it’s an easy fix by the usher usually. Hearing how Glock took care of you after that length of time and number of rounds just solidified me as a “Glock guy”
Yea, me too. They are like the Energizer Bunny and Timex all in one. Or, just simply, a Glock.
Old June 6, 2019, 11:27 AM   #89
totaldla

Are you an FFL?
Old June 6, 2019, 11:39 AM   #90
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
Are you an FFL?
No, no FFL.
Old June 6, 2019, 12:15 PM   #91
TunnelRat

Quote:
Are you an FFL?
You don't have to be an FFL to send a pistol back to the manufacturer, or to receive it back. I also think if they issue you a firearm as a replacement it still goes directly to you, right?
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 6, 2019, 12:49 PM   #92
K_Mac

AK that is a great testimony for Glock! Rebuilding a pistol that is well beyond any reasonable life expectancy at no cost to you is surprising. Good for you, and Glock.
Old June 6, 2019, 01:52 PM   #93
TailGator

That is pretty impressive service from Glock. I have heard similar stories from others. Sounds like they stand behind their product quite honorably.
Old June 6, 2019, 03:56 PM   #94
Carmady

Quote:
I also think if they issue you a firearm as a replacement it still goes directly to you, right?
When Ruger replaced an LCR they couldn't fix I had to go through a FFL. The replacement LCR had issues, and I returned it, they couldn't fix that one either so they sent me another replacement, and I had to go through the FFL a second time.

I think the rule is: new serial number = FFL transfer
Old June 6, 2019, 04:07 PM   #95
sigarms228

Thanks for the update AK103K and that is amazing and impressive that Glock gave you the kind of service they did.
Old June 6, 2019, 04:43 PM   #96
greentick

Been on TFL for a few years but seems I've never seen this thread. Great read getting caught up, with a level of suspense lol.

Have had my G20 for ~28yrs and my G26 for ~23yrs (whenever they first came out). Had a G19 that a brother has now, that is 25yrs old and still going. Just got a G17.5 that I really love.

Never said Glocks were pretty but I am often a "function over form" guy (tho I can appreciate pretty guns too).

Another "thanks" for posting and updating this thread.
Old June 6, 2019, 04:54 PM   #97
GarandTd

I don't own a Glock. I've never shot a Glock. I've only handled a Glock once and it was recently (BIL bought a coyote tan 19x). Many of the "Glock or nothing" blowhards really turn me off. But, I gotta say, this thread, I like. Honestly, I only read the first page and the most recent posts, but I like what I see. Your experience with the round count and repairs impresses me. I look forward to a little range time with my BIL's 19x and maybe some day when the "right" deal crosses my path, I'll join the club. Kudos to you and to Glock for taking care of you.
Old June 6, 2019, 07:39 PM   #98
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
You don't have to be an FFL to send a pistol back to the manufacturer, or to receive it back. I also think if they issue you a firearm as a replacement it still goes directly to you, right?
I think it depends on where you live. It used to be that way here in PA, as Ive had a couple come right to my house (from S&W). Now, at least with Glock anyway, if its a complete gun, it has to go to a dealer.

I had my dealer send it for me too, kind of killed two birds. He only charged me $25, and it was coming back to him anyway.

It also saved me about $25-50. If I were to send it overnight as you have to ship them these days, it would have cost me somewhere around $50-75.

And thanks for the replies.

I only broke it (and had fun doing it), Glock fixed it.
Old June 6, 2019, 11:01 PM   #99
Sgt127

Good on Glock. They are exceptional with their warranty. The frame is really one of the cheapest major parts of the gun. The few bucks it cost them to replace it bought them more loyalty and good Will than they could have paid for.

I’m hardly a Glock fanboy. I had to carry them at work for years. I have dainty little girl hands and, they feel like holding the wrong end of a baseball bat to me.

But....

They work. They work well. They are priced right. They don’t rust. They stand up to all kinds of abuse and wear.

It’s a genius design.
Old June 7, 2019, 07:30 AM   #100
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Beararms View Post
This is why I Glock.
Mee2

"Tools not Trophies”
Closed Thread