The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 22, 2014, 10:57 AM   #1
steveNChunter

CZ 455 Varmint - very impressed

I had been looking for a rifle to use at my local gun club to compete in their monthly 100yd. .22 benchrest match. I found this rifle at my LGS the other day and immediately fell in love with it. It was new, $439 out-the-door, which is about the going rate for them, so I took it home.

As soon as I got home I got online and oredered a 25 MOA weaver conversion base, adjustable sear, lighter trigger spring, aluminum mag well, and extended mag release. I also got a single-shot adapter for it to experiment with and see if it helps. (it's supposed to cause less bullet deformation as opposed to the factory mag feeding the bullet into the chamber). I got it all from Diversified Innovative Products. If you've never visited their site, check them out: http://www.diproductsinc.com/

I had a Barska 10-40x50 scope laying around that I stuck on it. I'm not a huge Barska fan but I got the scope in a trade and figured it would be sufficient for a .22 and it's suprisingly clear even on 40 power and it has an adjustable objective which is a big plus on a .22 IMO. I may upgrade the scope later.

So I got it all put together yesterday evening, I measured the trigger pull weight before and after the sear/spring installation and adjustment. Before, I was getting right around 4 pounds with a decent amount of creep. After, it breaks clean as glass at 10 ounces (). It's completely safe, I beat on the back of the action with a rubber mallet, did the bump test with the stock on it, and it passed both tests.

I had enough time before dark to get out and sight it in at 50 yards. I tried Eley match and Lapua SK Standard Plus, both giving me one ragged hole 5-shot groups at 50. I'm going out today to sight it in at 100 yards, pics of groups to come.

Anyone who is in the market for a rimfire bolt rifle should definitely check out the CZ 455. I was considering a Savage MKII at first, and while they are accurate and a good rifle for the money, the fit & finish of the CZ is miles ahead. It feels more like a centerfire than any other .22 I've ever held. It also has a drop dead gorgeous Turkish walnut stock on it, which I'll probably be bedding soon. I'm not much of a review writer so if you have any questions just ask, and share your CZ-rimfire experiences as well. This is my first CZ, but I have a feeling it won't be my last.

Old February 22, 2014, 06:33 PM   #2
steveNChunter

Well I got out and shot at 100 yards, and in spite of the wind, it actually did pretty well. The wind had me chasing zero about half the time I was shooting, (I gave up after awhile) not to mention shooting two different kinds of ammo that has two different POI's. I shot 100 rounds each of the Lapua and the Eley, with no clear winner in the accuracy department. With the Lapua SK Standard Plus costing $70 a brick vs. $165 a brick for the Eley Match, there wasn't enough difference IMO to justify the price difference, so I may order a couple more bricks of the Lapua.

The pictures are of the last 10-shot groups I shot with each ammo. The Eley shot better than this picture on a few occasions, but I didn't get a pic of it before stapling another target over it.

Old February 22, 2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Good stuff - they know what they're doing in Uhersky Brod.