The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 15, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
ckhd

Have you organized/run a gun show?

Hi,

Two weeks ago, I was voted in as vice-pres of our local gun club, and at the same time was told that the vp's job is the gun show... which we held over the last two days... Luckily, the venue had been reserved, but other than that, not much had been done. Two weeks to do a gun show is not very long.

Granted, it is a 'small town' gun show, and I managed to have one that has been deemed 'successful', I want our October show to be deemed "Amazing". I'm trying to find people that have experience with organizing and running gun shows. I would really like ideas on how to draw both vendors and customers to the show.

Advertising is one thing that seems to be eluding me. Most of the people that I stopped and asked told me that they had heard about it 'word-of-mouth' although we had radio, newspaper, flyers, facebook, twitter, club's website, and cards under windshield wipers.

The gun shows are our club's primary source of income (we are a 501c3 corporation with a range with huge potential), and we are a 'poor' club. I want to make us a club that can provide the range improvement and community offerings that I feel we should offer.

Any help and pointers from experienced organizers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bowen
Old April 16, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2
jonnyc

I run an annual cartridge collector show and a swap-meet at my gun club. I have found that my best advertising is flyers at other gun shows (if you don't compete with them) and info posted at area gun shops.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
ckhd

Hmm.. Good idea. Thanks!
Old April 16, 2013, 08:00 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Many smaller towns put out an extra "paper" on Thursday or Friday that typically lists all sorts of local shows, festivals and things to do.

If your town has that, get into it - maybe have them do a small interview since you are a non-profit.....
Old April 17, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
ckhd

Our town doesn't, but some neighboring towns do. Hadn't thought of that one.