The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
PPQ226guy

FNS 9mm...Yea or Nay?

Hi all,

I was in my LGS today and saw they had a bi-tone FNS 9 in the case. Felt nice and the trigger was pretty good. Trijicon night sights already installed. the fired case was dated 3/13. Anyone have one of recent vintage they would mind sharing their input on?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 22, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
gman3

I have been carrying one for a little over a year now. After carrying a P220 for 13 years, I did not like it at first. Have never used a polymer pistol before , so there was some adjustment in my thinking about them required to build confidence in the weapon, so that I felt that I could bet my life on it.

There was an issue with the original pistol issued that required replacement or correction by FN. The issue was that if you pulled the trigger with the striker cocked, and then pushed the trigger back forward, (don't know why anyone would do that) the weapon would then be locked, requiring the trigger to be pulled again before the slide would operate to chamber a round.

They are manufactured in Columbia, S.C.

There was also an issue where the ambi magazine release would sometimes drop the magazine if in a chair, or sometimes on a seatbelt buckle, or while firing the weapon. Both of these issues have been corrected on OUR weapons. I do not know if those two things are still an issue with new production pistols from FN. Ours do NOT have the thumb safety. As always, one must watch where you put your booger picker. You are the safety.

Having said that, I now have about 2000 rounds down range with my second one. Speer 124 Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+. There have been no malfunctions of any kind with four different magazines. The mags drop free on a combat reload with no sticking. The weapon was not cleaned at all during the 2000 rounds fired, one re-lube after initial cleaning. Just an exterior wipe.

The gun does point well naturally for me with the arched back strap, it comes with two different back straps to suit your preference. I haven't changed them, as the weapon points well for me with the one that was installed on it in the box. The sights are outstanding, nothing else to say about them, they are great.

The trigger was a little gritty to start on both of the pistols that I have used, but has gotten smoother with use, and has a clean crisp break of about 5.5 pounds. I really can't find anything to complain about with the weapon at all.

The issues that were mentioned above, I did not experience. I could make the weapon lock if I intentionally pushed the trigger forward, but I can really see that happening in a practical application using the weapon. It was possible, and may have been a designed in feature, but some of our folks made an issue of it and FN replaced the weapons.

The accuracy of the pistol is outstanding. Shooting from a rest, (two hands supported on a bench), I have found it to be capable of 2 inch accuracy at 30 yards (probably better, that's just the best I could do). Standing unsupported, no problem K-5ing with an entire magazine, with a reasonably fast rate of fire. The weapon returns nicely after firing. I can't tell any difference in recoil between the standard pressure ammunition and the +P+ ammo.

The grip checkering is very aggressive. Can't really think of anything else, I like it, and it seems to be reasonably priced. For what you get, it is a reliable
and effective tool that you can depend on. That's coming from a die hard SIG and Colt fan boy. I have numerous SIGs and 1911s, carry a handgun or two all the time, and shoot them a lot. One might say that I am a professional, and I like, and would recommend the FNS-9 pistol.

Hope that helps you to make a decision.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3
PPQ226guy

Thanks for the very informative reply, gman3!

I was aware of some of the issues you mentioned. I tried the "locked slide" by pulling the trigger and then pushing it forward. I was then able to rack the slide without pulling the trigger. It seemed that it was definitely more difficult to do so, but I could do it. I wonder if this one has been fixed at the factory or not. As a side note, it was easier to do so with no mag in than with one. Glad to hear you have had no reliability issues. That (and long term durability) are my main concerns. Any issues with the thin walled barrel or with the slide getting unusually hot? I have also heard this things in association with the FN polymer pistols.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Old June 22, 2013, 10:20 PM   #4
LockedBreech

FNS 9mm...Yea or Nay?

I'm eagerly watching the FNX/FNS series for heavy police department adoption. I think Glock & M&P could use some polymer holster competition.

The ones I have held at the LGS had impressive fit and finish.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:23 PM   #5
PPQ226guy

^^^^^

I hope so too. I really think FNH does not market their pistol line very effectively. I hope that doesn't indicate a lack luster support chain. I'm really thinking of buying this gun.
Old June 23, 2013, 12:28 AM   #6
cmr287

Re: FNS 9mm...Yea or Nay?

:thumbdown:
Old June 23, 2013, 12:35 AM   #7
PPQ226guy

^^^^^
May I ask why?
Old June 23, 2013, 12:47 AM   #8
915A

I was extremely close to buying the 9mm for my first. I held back because of price at the time. But now im looking at the .40. I will say that when I was looking at it, I was able to recreate the trigger lock malfunction as well as the slide jam malfunction. Where if you slammed the front of it in your palm or whatever it would also lock up the slide. It was all over the net, but it sounds as if they addressed the issue. But the FNX/FNS is in my top 3 .40 hunt.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:08 AM   #9
PPQ226guy

^^^^

Thanks for the feedback, 915A
Old June 23, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10
gman3

I really shot the crap out of mine, trying to make it malfunction. I shot it rapid fire with one hand, strong hand, weak hand, running and gunning. It didn't miss a beat. That was using hot ammo.

Didn't notice if the slide was hot, it didn't seem to be any warmer than any of my other pistols after the same type of usage. As I said, I love SIG's, have almost all of the older P series pistols, and love .45s, but I shoot the FNS-9 as well as any of them. As much as I want to not like it, I can't find a reason not to.

Its kind of like this, I really like my Snap On 9/16 wrench, but the Kobalt one that someone gave me works just as well, and works better for some things. It's a tool intended for a specific purpose. Maybe it does not have the brand recognition that others have, but it definitely works well.

There is one thing that I wish was different, but I know it's there because of the intended use for the pistol, the end of the grip is flared making the pistol kind of square on the end of the grip. Would probably cause it to print a little more if being used for a CCW pistol. Don't know because I don't carry that pistol as a CCW.

Here's the thing, when I leave the house, my family depends on the tools that I use when things get really bad, and really bad people have to be made to stop doing the things they are doing. I have had thousands of such encounters, some of them very, very scary. I carry the FNS-9 out the door every day with complete confidence that it will work when I need it to.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
915A

Gman, this makes me want the FNH that much more. The only thing that pushed me away was price the first time. Word is they have a compact coming sometime within the year.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:56 PM   #12
PPQ226guy

I did think of one more question about the gun, specifically regarding the magazine/mag catch. I seem to recall the FNX mags had some reports of them not latching in very strongly. Am I remembering this issue correctly? Has this been addressed in the FNS?
Old June 24, 2013, 12:16 AM   #13
btmj

I own an FNX in 40 caliber. I am very pleased with it. I don't think FNH knows how to market a gun to the US civilian marketplace. The only reason I took a good look at it was the LGS was sold out of SIGs, and Berretas. I was in the market for a DA/SA hammer fired 40 cal, and the only thing they had was the FNH. I was impressed from the first round.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:09 AM   #14
CAOxInfinity

Love my FNS-9. Came with 3 mags and nite sights. Was my daily carry until it was commandeered by my father, who traded his only carry piece for a shotgun. Me, being the good son that I am, would not allow him to go unarmed.
Old June 24, 2013, 04:50 PM   #15
PPQ226guy

Ok, so I went back to my LGS today and bought the FNS 9 . I also noticed he had a mint PPQ with paddle style mag release in the case. Looked like it had hardly been fired at all. Even though I have one, the price was right so I got it too. Good day so far!
Old June 24, 2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Taffnevy

FNS 9mm...Yea or Nay?

I recently picked up the FNS in 9mm after looking at all the polymer contenders. Solid quality build, great ergos, good trigger, flawless performance after around 500 rounds. I'm happy with it and would recommend it without hesitation.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:48 PM   #17
gman3

Nothing like looking at one, then buying two. Congratulations, I'm sure that you will be pleased with it.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:13 PM   #18
LockedBreech

FNS 9mm...Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ226guy View Post
Ok, so I went back to my LGS today and bought the FNS 9 . I also noticed he had a mint PPQ with paddle style mag release in the case. Looked like it had hardly been fired at all. Even though I have one, the price was right so I got it too. Good day so far!
Wow. Great day.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Mrgunsngear

I love mine. Great ergos, 100% reliable thus far, and it drives tacks. The only thing I'd like to see changed is maybe a 1-2lb reduction in trigger pull.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:37 PM   #20
Mystro

Had both FNS and FNX....The trigger on the FNS was gritty and never got any better after 500 rounds. Both guns are nice for the money but average quality at best. The plastic they chose to use for their frame feels cheap. They were very reliable but accuracy was so so and yes I can shoot about anything good. I bought both new FN guns for a killer deal but flipped them after a few months.
The PPQ on the other hand is the best polymer gun made today. Its trigger is in its own league and accuracy is tack driving. Run to the store and get the PPQ..... You won't regret it.

PPQ

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; June 24, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:29 PM   #21
PPQ226guy

Thanks to all!

ploufedaddy,

Those are some nice pics! Have you had any issues with the mags coming unseated? The catch just looks soooo small to me. Also, the slide release is really tough to use. I assume it gets better with use.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:38 PM   #22
PPQ226guy

Nice pics, Mystro!

I actually got both!
Old June 24, 2013, 11:24 PM   #23
915A

Nice score!
Old June 25, 2013, 05:10 PM   #24
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Those are some nice pics! Have you had any issues with the mags coming unseated? The catch just looks soooo small to me. Also, the slide release is really tough to use. I assume it gets better with use.
No issues at all.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:10 PM   #25
PPQ226guy

Thanks again plouffedaddy.

BTW, Like your youtube channel! I looked for the FNS review.....did I miss it?