The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
DeerSlayer86

Reloading

I want to get into reloading and would like some recommendations on gear. Presses, dies, powders, manuals, bullets(hunting) favorite loads(specifically for 308 and 25-06 rem), tips, mistakes you may have made when you got started...things like that. I just want to get the most out of my rifles and im sick of paying for "premium" ammunition. Thanks guys
Old October 24, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
emcon5

Sticky, top of the forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171
Old October 24, 2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Help us help you

If we knew some more about your shooting habits and goals. You have given us some parameters of your reasons for wanting to reload (economy, searching for ultimate accurac) but some more information would be more helpful. Your experience level, tolerance for the unknown and your budget (in money, spare time and spare space), we could advise you better.

Thanks for asking our advice. Help us help you.

Lost Sheep
Old October 24, 2011, 11:34 PM   #4
farmerboy

Atleast try to help yourself also by reading sticky at top of page and get and buy a manual and read it first before just trying to get someone to do everything for you if you're not willing to do your part
Old October 27, 2011, 03:31 PM   #5
raceroch

just buy a dillon 550B and learn how to use it, you will never need another machine in your life. buy components and a pair of calipers and scale and you will be set.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:13 PM   #6
David Bachelder

Get a manual or two, read them, then buy RCBS equipment. The Rockchucker is a good move. Best bet is to start out on a single stage press. This will teach you the How To's. When you are ready to upgrade, go to Ebay and sell the old press and get something new, or keep the old press, it will last you a lifetime.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:29 PM   #7
serf 'rett

+1 on read sticky at top. Another good starter book is The ABC’s of Reloading. In my opinion, the suggestion to buy a Dillon 550, for reloading rifle, is a vast amount of overkill unless you are going to reload and shoot hundreds to thousands of rounds per month. It would be a hefty investment into something which you don’t even know if you’ll enjoy or need. Learning the ropes on a single stage (or turret) press will help you decide if you want to plunge full bore into the reloading sport. Pick up a loading manual or two and study up on reloading. Find someone who reloads and talk with them.

Warning: If you start reloading, I doubt if you will save money. With time, care and attention, you can create premium custom cartridges, which are tweaked for top performance in your rifles; however, all that money you thought you would save, well, you end up just getting to shoot a lot more.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:39 PM   #8
jimbob86

Why waste $$$?

Get a Lee Anniversary kit. Best value out there: the kit and some Hornady dies will cost less than other presses by themselves. There is no functional difference between Lee's cast iron O-frame and any of the other color cast iron O-frames, save the price.

Cabela's had them (the kits) on sale for $99 last time I was in there.....