The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 13, 2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Tucker 1371

Best 3 point AR/M16 sling

The one I was issued was a POS, I need something that would be comfortable, able to be set up for a left handed shooter, and good with armor on; money is no object, suggestions?

Not limited to 3 points but one points are a no go, I'm too short to have a full size M16 with a 1-point.

I bought a Spec Ops Mamba sling but I'm almost 100% certain I have it on wrong, if anyone can show me a pic of it set up that would be appreciated, thanks,

- LCpl Williams
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; May 13, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:03 AM   #2
sailskidrive

Hmmmm....

>>The one I was issued was a POS, I need something that would be comfortable and good with armor on, money is no object, suggestions?

Isn't it funny how some issue gear is over the top quality and some of it is such junk? "Lost cost, technically acceptable" comes to mind.

Many years ago, I remember in basic training our drill sergeant marching us down to the BX on a Saturday morning. "Anyone who wants to buy some real PT shoes, you have 20 minutes." They probably issue better ones now.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old May 13, 2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Jimro

The MAMBA isn't a bad sling, especially for a full size M16. I used one on my M4 in Iraq and it worked fine.

Here are the instructions to set up your MAMBA on your M16. http://www.specopsbrand.com/pdf/MAMBAFixedButt.pdf

With body armor nothing is either easy or natural, and any sling you put around your shoulders is going to ride up and dig into your neck at some point.

I know that a single point sling may be wrong for you, but a wolf hook http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/scr...action=sp15111 in addition to your MAMBA will give you a quick way to attach the rifle to your firing shoulder to take the weight so that the 3 point strap doesn't dig into your neck.

Jimro
Old May 13, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

I am not sure what kind of equipment constraints you have; but 3-point slings are generally a bad solution for anything. Have you looked at the 2-point quick adjust slings like the Vickers VCAS, the Viking VTAC, or the Magpul MS2?
Old May 13, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Jimro

Bartholomew Roberts,

Would kindly explain yourself, and exactly how you came to that conclusion?

Jimro
Old May 13, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

I came to that conclusion by owning and using a Specter Gear (actually the previous name of that company, which I have now forgotten) SOP 3-point Sling. No longer being in the military, I'm not forced to use gear I dislike, so I ditched the 3-point for s Single point MOUT sling from the same company that better suited my purpose.

My specific complaints with the 3-point sling are:

1. When rigged for left handed shooters, the strap along the weapon occasionally deflects shells back into the ejection port, making for less than satisfactory operation.

2. When rigged for any shooter, the additional strap rides between the weapon and your chest, meaning any chest mounted pouches or gear have the potential of snagging the strap and interfering with your use of the rifle.

As a result, I feel they are a bad solution for any use since a 2-point quick adjust sling is capable of doing every single thing the 3-point sling can do (and at the same price point); but it doesn't have the extra strap that is the source of most of the problems in the 3-point sling. Does that clarify it for you?
Old May 14, 2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Jimro

Bartholmew Roberts,

Yes that explains your opinion. The three point worked well for me since it let the rifle hang very naturally on my right side, out of the way but ready to be put into action. Since I kept my mag pouches in front there was nothing for the side strap to snag on when I brought my weapon to bear.

Pretty quickly into the deployment I put a 550 cord loop on my right shoulder to take the weight of the rifle as to prevent the sling from riding up and rubbing my neck raw, which is a problem with any sling and body armor.

Jimro
Old May 14, 2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Quentin2

The earlier name of the Specter 3-point was CQB Solutions. The Giles sling also was a popular 3-point a few years back.

I have a CQB Solutions that I actually like but it is complex with the extra strap. I agree that it's better to go with a 2-point today. I'm trying to decide between the VCAS and VTAC. Both are so highly recommended I'll probably get both and sell the one I like least.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:36 AM   #9
chris in va

Quote:
Many years ago, I remember in basic training our drill sergeant marching us down to the BX on a Saturday morning. "Anyone who wants to buy some real PT shoes, you have 20 minutes." They probably issue better ones now.
I remember that.

Should have also bought different boots too while I was at it. Those hard soled issue boots were the worst. Mil Spec and all that jazz.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
RT

http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...-combat-sling/
Old May 14, 2011, 11:12 AM   #11
slohand

http://www.tacticallink.com/Stealth_...int_Sling.html
Old May 14, 2011, 01:23 PM   #12
RockyMtnTactical

Why not try a 2-Point Quick Adjust? Does it have to be a 3-Point Sling?