The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
WeaponsWorld

S&W 1006 3rd gen auto. How to remove mag catch button?

Well I thought I would put my question in the title in case someone glances over it who can help. I recently picked up a nice S&W 1006 with adjustable sights. After doing as much reading as I could about the S&W 10mms I went and replaced all the springs in the gun that I could get at. Replaced the recoil spring, hammer spring, firing pin spring, extractor and mag springs. Not sure how to remove the mag catch button. Looks like I need a spanner screwdriver (slotted in the middle) in order to get the button/nut off. But wanted to be sure since sometimes those threads can be a little delicate and I dont want to ruin the part. If anyone here can confirm the procedure to remove this it would be helpful. The 1006 and the 4506 as well as others share the same style mag release button.
Old February 13, 2010, 03:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You need a split screwdriver. If you were doing a bunch of them, I would recommend going to Brownells, but you can easily make one from a cheap screwdriver using a file or Dremel tool.

You will probably hate me, but I think you are going overboard, though the after market spring makers love you. IMHO, there is just no reason to replace good springs because someone on the "net" said to do it. You replace springs when you need to. I have seen people recommend changing recoil springs after 100 rounds (yep, two boxes of ammo); that is absurd, not to mention costly. BTW, keep the other springs you took out; they may be better quality than the after market springs you replaced them with.

My suggestion, leave the mag catch alone. I have never seen a mag catch spring weaken (either on an S&W or a GI/Colt M1911) and don't expect to.

Jim
Old February 13, 2010, 04:31 PM   #3
WeaponsWorld

Thanks Jim. yes..the 1006 functioned just fine with the factory springs. The mag springs were a bit weak after almost 20 years and just barely pushed up the slide release. So those were a must. The old recoil spring was sending brass into the parking lot of the range. The stronger spring at least keeps them in the same room and with full power DoubleTap ammo I want to go a little easier on the slide. I went from the factory 18# to the Wolff 20# spring. The hammer spring I replaced just because I didn't like the weak feel of the old one. No problems with the extractor but I do prefer the stronger spring. So yea....the old ones would be fine. But the new ones feel better.

Thanks for the confirmation on the split screwdriver. I figured that was the way to go but felt it better to at least check before I start. I may leave the old one in but it depends on how it feels. Now...that damn crunchy trigger is driving me nuts. Need to get some info on smoothing that out a bit.

Below is a pic of my 1006.