The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
RamSlammer

9X18 Makarov Loads

I am back into shooting this round after a few years away and it seems there just aren't very good choices in commercially loaded SD ammo. Looks like the ammo manufacturers have neutered their loadings somewhat - probably because some of the lighter surplus guns coming into the market can't handle much (PA63, P64, etc.).

What I'm looking to do is get to 1150 - 1200 FPS with either the 90 grain gold dot or 95 grain XTP bullets. This will be shot from a CZ 82 with a heavy 18.5# Wolf recoil spring which I would think is among the stronger platforms for the cartridge. (Note: the commercial Hornady load with the 95 XTP chronos at an avg of 974 fps from this gun whereas some old silver bear 120 gr HP I have gets 1130.)

Any ideas? (I'd prefer to stay away from Bullseye as the FMJ I have been playing around with is very dirty which makes a mess in a blowback gun.)