The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 22, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
PeteQuad

Holster for 5" 629 Classic

There just doesn't seem to be many of these around. I am about ready to start contacting custom holster makers to get what I want.

I think I am going to get a shoulder holster after all. It would be nice to be able to conceal this thing if I really wanted to (in the winter), and also be able to carry it in the woods. I also want black leather, since I think black goes better with the stainless stel and rubber grips.

So, if anyone knows of a holster that meets the following requirements, please let me know, because I can't find one!

1. Fits S&W 629 Classic 5"
2. Shoulder Holster
3. Covers trigger
4. Thumbbreak
5. Black Leather
6. Fits big guy
Old April 23, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2
nemesis

This is a challenge.

Bianchi makes the X-15 to fit a 5" N-Frame but its only available in tan.

The best choice seems to be the Galco Explorer. Its no longer manufactured but it is still available and comes in black. Put it together with the SSII wide-comfort harness and a double speed-loader carrier on the offside and you'd have a winner.

Explorer Holster Component
Old April 23, 2007, 09:09 PM   #3
PeteQuad

Thanks for the advice, I thought I had stumped everyone!

It looks like the Galco Explorer is now called the Galco Vertical Shoulder Holster Component. However, on their web site the closest match to my model is the N-Frame 4", which is an inch too short (and I'm not sure if the full underlug would fit). Does the Explorer fit the 5" Classic frame? If so, know where I can find them? I've been searching and haven't seen one.

Edit: Oops, missed your link at the bottom. So that's a one-size fits all type holster? Hmm, I might just order it, although I'm not sure how to specify black when I order on that site, let me tinker with it a bit...
Old April 23, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
PeteQuad

OK, that link you gave me is the exact one I'm looking for I guess! So, A right hand shoulder holster... Is that on my right side or my left side?
Old April 24, 2007, 02:52 PM   #5
nemesis

I think you figured it out, the new "Vertical" is not the current incarnation of the Explorer. They're quite different. The Explorer is a clamshell design with an internal spring that clamps the sides of the holster closed to hold the gun and it has a built-in tiedown.

A right hand shoulder rig carries under the left arm.
Old April 24, 2007, 03:51 PM   #6
PeteQuad

My only worry before I pull the trigger, so to speak , is that all the models it mentions are 6" or 6.5" and mine is only 5". Any idea if that would cause me an issue?

Thanks a ton for the help by the way!
Old April 26, 2007, 10:43 AM   #7
ClarkEMyers

I'd look at the Alessi Fieldmaster for revolvers.

I'd look at the Alessi Fieldmaster for revolvers.

PIctures at Lightning Arms

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

Probably not the first choice for regular concealed carry but certainly the best choice of field use.
Old May 2, 2007, 06:58 PM   #8
Daniel BOON

Don Hume.

I carry mine in a Don Hume cross draw, or Don Hume hip holster; I usually reach for the cross draw when out in the woods. I soaked them in rubbing alcohol, the used a dowel rod to outline the revolver. when it dried, the revolver jumped out of the stiffened leather.
Old May 7, 2007, 07:11 PM   #9
James A. Mullins

I like the X-15, have two one black and one tan. I used Black shoe die to color the black one. It takes about two coats you can wipe it down good and leave it dull black. I buffed mine with black shoe polish. for a light shine, Looks great.
James.