The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2006, 09:16 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Why 3?

I just recieved my Lee die set for the 7.62x25 Tokarev. I see that it is a three die set. Being that this cartridge is bottle-necked, why three dies? I thought that straight walled cases needed that third die, not cartridges with a neck.

I am going to use all the dies. But is the expanding dies really needed for the Tokarev round?
Old March 23, 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
mtnboomer

It's for use with a progressive loader to use a auto powder measure and/or bullet seater.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old March 23, 2006, 11:07 PM   #3
lizziedog1

Does that mean I don't have to use the expander die to reload this cartridge?

I also picked up some Hornady, 30 cal.,90gr HP/XTP to reload for this round. I have a .30-30. I bet that this bullet would sizzle out of that rifle. If the accuracy is up to it, it would make a dandy coyote pill.
Old March 24, 2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

You might not have to use the expander die, but you should. Two die sets have an expander built onto the decapping stem. Your three die set does not. Unless you use the expander die, you are very likely to have bullets snag on the case mouth when you try to seat them.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Rico567

The Lee expander die can be used two ways: with the Lee Auto-Disk or Pro Auto-Disk powder measure sitting on top of it, and expand & drop powder in the same operation, or with the hex-shaped adapter left on top of the die. In this latter case (and I must confess I've never used the die in this configuration) you can do the expansion & then drop the powder through manually, with a funnel or from a scale pan.
This die works perfectly with the Auto-Disk powder measure on top. I used it to load many thousands of rounds of ammo on my two Pro1000 presses, and the Auto-Disk is an extremely accurate measure.

+1 on what Leftoverdj said: you need to expand to get the bullet started into the case. If you don't, you'll shave metal for sure on lead & plated bullets, and, depending on the case, possibly even with jacketed bullets. Just be sure to adjust the expander die to just the MINIMUM amount you need to get the bullet to sit by itself on top of the case. Too much expansion will cause other problems.

- Mark Twain