The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 20, 2000, 11:50 AM   #1
Tango27

I'm in the market for a new gunbelt. I'm looking at something 1 1/4" wide, that will be sturdy enough to carry a Glock 19 in both a Sidearmor IWB, or a Milt Sparks 55BN.

Anyone have thoughts on the metal-lined belts? Are they necessary? Thanks!
Old May 20, 2000, 01:10 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Moving to Gear and Accessories...
Old May 20, 2000, 02:25 PM   #3
riddleofsteel

check out the Uncle Mikes line of Mirage belts. i took a chance and bought one about six months ago. for $29,95 there is no better belt out there. it is stiff enough to support even the heavy pistol/holster combo yet looks like a dress belt. this will be hard to believe but after six months of continous every day carry, the only evidence that this belt is even used is that it does not want to lay flat anymore. there are no stratches or even dents in the material. it is NOT leather and i consider it to be superior to leather in every way except fire resistance but i have not tested that yet. keep in mind i own belts by Kramer, Galco and several smaller leathersmiths. none of them beat the Mirage belt.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.
Old May 20, 2000, 03:49 PM   #4
BlkHawk73

I purchased mine from Mitch Rosen over two years ago and wear it daily. It carries my HK USP as well as my SA's firmly. I would not hesitate to purchase another (in fact I will be soon.) Check them out on his site at www.mitchrosen.com His may cost a bit more but it is made to fit YOU, not a generic "average" person. Besides...you get what you pay for.
Old May 20, 2000, 04:07 PM   #5
Jim V

Lou Alessi makes one of the finest gunbelts ever, the belts are tapered toward the edge and do not look like the typical gun belt but look like a expensive dress belt. http://www.rfholsters.com

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old May 20, 2000, 09:19 PM   #6
Matt VDW

Riddleofsteel,

Where did you buy your Mirage belt? I haven't found any local or online dealers that sell them.

BTW, if concealment isn't needed, the Wilderness nylon belts are excellent. They are a bit conspicuous though.
Old May 21, 2000, 08:29 AM   #7
funinsun

One more for Mitch Rosen. Quality is unbeleivable, you DO get what you pay for in my opinion. Once you get leather from Mitch you will not go anywere else.
Old May 21, 2000, 12:44 PM   #8
Tango27

What about for casual dress--say a pair of jeans? I've got a Wilderness belt, but that 1 1/2" nylon looks a little too militaristic with casual clothes. The Mitch Rosen line looks great for normal dress, but a little too dressy for Saturday carry.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2000, 04:42 PM   #9
Jim V

Then, http://www.epsaddlery.com they can fancy up your belt any way you want, basket weave, fishscale, floral, name your poison.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old May 22, 2000, 09:54 AM   #10
DMSC

I have a local shop that stocks G&G (Gould & Goodrich) products. I have two of their belts and they work very well. The one I wear most often is a 1.5" and it is still working great after almost a year of use.
Old May 22, 2000, 12:33 PM   #11
AndABeer

I am very partial to Don Hume leather belts. Especially the double thick model, which I got for a little over $30. I am still waiting to be legal to carry in my new state of residence, but I still wear the belt, looks great and will be sturdy enough to carry any of my carry possibles.
http://www.donhume.com/belts/b109-l.htm

This site lists the belt at $40, but I called and they directed me to a retailer who got it for me cheaper.