The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 24, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1
147 Grain

A Lady Smith for the Lady: S&W M60LS

Just bought a NIB Lady Smith 357 / 38 for my sweetheart and (since this is my first Smith & Wesson) thought I'd inquire with you folks as to what you thought of this particular model?

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh! Don't say anything as I haven't given it to her, yet!

Seriously, the M60 Lady Smith has a glass beaded stainless finish, Combat Dymondwood rose grips, and a smooth target trigger / semi-target hammer. Barrel length is 2 1/8" and weight is 21.5-oz's.

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com...sw_activeTab=1

CDNN has a sale on this 5-shot revolver that retails for $621 (according to S&W) and I felt fortunate to buy 1 of the 7 they have for only $399.

Steve

P.S. Also purchased a NIB compact 45 auto (EAA Witness) for only $259.
Old August 25, 2005, 12:03 AM   #2
147 Grain

Now we just need to decide between the following two ammo choices and see how the recoil is:

* Federal 158-gr. +P LSWCHP's at 890 fps (4" pipe)
* Speer 135-gr. +P Gold Dot (Short Barrel Load) at 865 fps (2" pipe)
Old August 25, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3
CarbineCaleb

It's definitely a good looker, and at that price, sounds like a great bah-gin (as we say in New England ). Hope you two have fun shooting together
Old August 25, 2005, 06:09 AM   #4
Mannlicher

Is your sweetie already a "gun gal"? If not, the 2 inch .357 might take her some time to get used to. Hey, if the Smith does not work out for her, you can just keep it yourself!

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 25, 2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Gary H

My dad carries this gun regularly and loves it. Good looking revolver. He did change over to rubber grips for more comfort shooting. His only complaint is that he needs to use gloves when he runs a lot of rounds through the gun because it gets hot. Good Choice...now time to practice.
Old August 25, 2005, 10:55 AM   #6
147 Grain

Wife has previously enjoyed shooting a Ruger Security Six 4" and it's available in the home for SD, but doesn't do as well as the Lady Smith for CCW.

The J-frame revolver will get plenty of use, even if the misses only CCW's with it occasionally.

Suggestions on ammo choices are welcome. See also my 2nd post.
Old August 25, 2005, 11:23 AM   #7
SW40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147 Grain
Just bought a NIB Lady Smith 357 / 38 for my sweetheart and (since this is my first Smith & Wesson) thought I'd inquire with you folks as to what you thought of this particular model?

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh! Don't say anything as I haven't given it to her, yet!
Hmmm, it may be better to tell her that it was such a good bargain that you had to buy it, and ask her if she wants to use it. Most women don't want 'appliances' as a gift. Ask me how I know.

By the way, nice gun and great deal.
Old August 25, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8
147 Grain

Thank-you for input on the Lady Smith Appliance!

What's a good load for women to carry in small J-frames?

* 158-gr. LSWCHP
* 135-gr. SB Gold Dots
* 130-gr. SXT
* Other
Old August 25, 2005, 01:04 PM   #9
ATW525

Quote:
What's a good load for women to carry in small J-frames?
Buffalo Bore 180 gr. LFN-GC - 1302 fps out of a 3" J frame

Trust me. She'll love it.
Old August 25, 2005, 08:12 PM   #10
silversilvia

That is actually one of my favorite revolvers. its so dame sexy and feels very nice in my hands. however the "Lady" next to the smith makes me unable to purchase one. anyone know what a guys model would be of this make?
Old August 25, 2005, 09:18 PM   #11
147 Grain

M60LS is the Lady Smith version. M60 looks just like it except for rubber grips in place of the rose colered wood.

Old August 26, 2005, 12:28 AM   #12
BillCA

First off, I'd pick up a pair of rubber grips that enclose the backstrap (grip frame) in case the wood grips don't suit her hand or make it uncomfortable to shoot.

Having a Model 649 .357, I'd suggest buying rounds in a few different weights and seeing what works best out of her gun -- for her.

I stoke the 649 with the 130gr SXT's and they're fairly accurate. I have some Gold Dots I haven't had a chance to fire yet. 158gr ammo seems to be the most accurate out of mine.
Old August 26, 2005, 12:45 AM   #13
John_W_L

I agree with the 158 gr. Shoot at the range with the white box and sleep at night with the Federal. It's all good.John
Old August 26, 2005, 01:06 AM   #14
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have the Model 60 with the rubber grips as in photo above. It is my gun used as off duty and I qualified with it plenty of times when I was working. It's a great shooter for such a small pipe. The rubber grips really make the gun managable. I always used WW 110 gr. silver tip hollow points and they were very good to shoot. However, now that I think about it...they may have been 125 gr. Anyway, I have plenty of them, but no box to tell what they are.

It shoots +P ammo all day long and keeps on tickin! It will shoot very good at 25 yds. 50 yrds is possible but that is pushing it. My point is that the short tube shoots very accurate.

The Lady model looks great! Sounds like a super price too. If she don't like it, Be a Man and keep (the lady model) it. No one will argue with you!

Great choice!
Old August 26, 2005, 09:56 AM   #15
147 Grain

Concerning the M60 rubber grips:

Who makes the softest for recoil - Hogue? Where should I look to purchase some?
Old August 26, 2005, 03:36 PM   #16
Bobshouse

I always have my Lady with me! Lady Smith's are not just for the ladies! Tell me, would you guys rather have a Gentleman Smith stuck in your pants?
Old August 26, 2005, 03:42 PM   #17
Dead-Nuts-Zero

My grips are...

The Pachmayr "Gripper"

They are Smith & Wesson J frame Round Butt with finger groves. They are a wraparound grip. They completly enclose the steel butt of the m60 except for the top end near the trigger.

Mine look about the same as the photo above. I think my grips have a less rounded heel and more straight on the back side. Maybe 1/2 way between that and a square butt. Could be different brands too.

Mine are a good solid grip that will take the abuse. No cuts or gouges etc. from normal abuse. I wore mine in a gun belt at times and getting in and out of the car hitting the steering wheel etc. is much better than the wood grips. I find the rubber to be quite stiff. I think they allow you a better grip so that noticible recoil is much less because you get all of your hand around it. It makes the gun look almost twice as large.

They may not even make this model grip now days. I have had mine since maybe 1978. I do need to recondition them again to soften them up a little. That helps, with the fine checkering design molded into the rubber, they almost stick to your hand when you grip it.

There are others on the market too but I can't help you with that as I haven't looked at them in years. I buy alot of shooting supplies from Midwayusa.com and they may have a selection for you to look at online.

Maybe someone else in here can come up with more ideas.
Old September 6, 2005, 06:57 AM   #18
Captain Bligh

My Model 60 wears Pachmyr Compacs. It's a very comfortable grip to shoot and conceals easily.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:38 PM   #19
Mastrogiacomo

I also use the Pachmayr compac grip on mine. Feels just fine and looks better than Hogue.
Old September 6, 2005, 05:37 PM   #20
Webleymkv

Nice gun. If she's comfortable with it you may try some light magnum loads. My dad keeps his Taurus model 66 loaded with Winchester 110grn SJHP's for my mom and she shoots them better than her .380.