The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 1999, 01:40 PM   #1
DesertRat

I'm interested in hearing opinions on the durability and reliability of the Remington 11-87P (Police) shotgun. I recently purchased one (new) and have fired about 600 rounds through it. So far it has been flawless and it groups quite nicely out to 50 yards or so.

I have the manual; however, its rather confusing piece of reading. What, if anything, should I watch out for when disassembling /assembling. Are there any serious weak points in the design? All comments are appreciated.
Old September 19, 1999, 02:00 PM   #2
Mike Baugh

The only weak point I know of is the rubber O-Ring used in the gas system , I picked up a few extras just in case . Good luck , Mike...
Old September 21, 1999, 03:33 AM   #3
ModIMark0

Can you give me a phone number to contact Remington Arms? I bought an 11-87P used (w/o manual) and would like to get a manual on it.
Old September 21, 1999, 04:16 AM   #4
Woody

Desert Rat I converted a Remington 11-87 from a 30" barrel to one with a 20.5" barrel and it has been a joy. There are a few thing you might want to get for your gun.
1) Choate makes an extended bolt handle that is alot easier to use with gloves and such.
2) EZ Loader make an extended bolt release that also has a shell guide built on and it makes tacticle reloads much easier.
3) Buy a heavy duty shell follower, the stock Rem. one is made of very thin cheap plastic.
4) Scattergun Tech make an extended safety that is easier to find than the stock one.
5) Get a side saddle and keep it loaded with a couple of slugs and other rounds. Gives you the ability of choosing ammo for specific targets.
6) Trac-Loc sights from Scattergun Tech. I like these better than any other sights I've tried on a shotgun.

All of these items can be obtained from Brownells.

Most of the stuff listed can be installed with out any work except the sights and the EZ- Loader. I would recommend a gunsmith for installation of the sights. If you can dissemble the trigger group without help, chances are you can install the EZ-Loader. The EZ-Loader comes with pretty good instructions.

As for parts breakage I haven't broken anything on mine except the o-ring gas seal and they are cheap about $1.50 but if you do break one you will have a single shot semi, so I keep a few on hand.

I bought it new in 88 and it was used for hunting all year, every year from then on. I didn't clean it for the first 3 years and, I didn't have a problem with feeding or jamming until I started to shoot trap alot 2 to 3 hundred rounds a week and then the gun would still shoot the high base loads.

For disessembly the factory Remington manual is very good at explaing things. There aren't any spring that will come jumping out at you. The shell latches are stacked in place and shouldn't be removed unlike the Mossberg. Keep the barrel ports clean.

Good luck with the 11-87. Out of all my firearms it is one that I'd like to have if TSHF.

[This message has been edited by Woody (edited September 21, 1999).]
Old September 21, 1999, 10:21 PM   #5
DesertRat

Hey guys. Thanks for all your help. I've believe this will be a great S/G for many years to come. I'll be sure to pick up plenty of spare "O" rings. As for a contact at Remington for owners manuals, here's what I found at the Remington arms web site.

To make an online request just type:
www.remington.com/consumer/newconsfr.htm

This will bring you to the online request form for owners manuals. If you want to make a request via phone or fax use:

1-800-243-9700 (for U.S.A. and Canada)
1-336-548-8700 (outside U.S.A. and Canada)
1-336-548-7801 (fax requests)

Remington's hours are 9am to 5pm EST.

Thanks

DesertRat