The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 4, 2001, 12:49 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

My little Colt Government 380 has started to show some peening on the upper Locking Lugs after about 1000 rnds of reloads. The peening is very light, but visible. The peening marks are only on the front of the lugs, and a very small step (just barely measureable with a fingernail) has started to develop. The slide shows no sign of deformation. My reloads are always 4.0 grns of Unique with a 90 grn JHP of 95 FMJ loaded to .974 COL. This is a warm but normal pressure 380 load.

Is this a concern? If so what should I do about it? Also, I am not a smith, so if I need work can you please recommend an expert on the little 380's?

I really like my little 380, it is fun and easy to shoot and a great trainer gun for newbies to the sport (co-workers etc).
Old February 4, 2001, 05:20 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While I'll defer to George, there might be a problem with the length of the link pin. "Might".

I know Hallock speaks of lightly rounding the "rubbing" edges of the locking lugs, in finishing up a 1911...

Art
Old February 5, 2001, 09:26 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Peter, check or have the barrel fit including the link checked. If everything checks out then either the inside of the slide needs to be polished or chamfer the top lugs as Art mentioned. George
Old February 5, 2001, 11:21 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Thanks,

I will turn it into my local Smith here in Houston and have it checked out. I assume this is a procedures any good Smith should be able to do?

Thanks again

Pete