The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 25, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Opsic66

1962 Lee Endfield (RFI) Caliber?

Hey folks. So far I have been able to ID my Lee Enfield down to being a 1962 RFI No.1 MK III*.

What I do not know, and haven't seen marked anywhere is it's bore. Since RFI made both 303brit, and 7.62Nato.. I'm a bit lost on which one it might be.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:20 AM   #2
gew98

It should only take looking at the magazine and bolt face to tell you if it's a 7,62 nato caliber "ishy" .
Old January 25, 2011, 12:56 AM   #3
gyvel

The .308/7.62mm rifles are called "2A" or "2A1" and will be clearly marked as such on the right side of the body (receiver). 2A rifles utilize the original .303 British rear sight while the 2A1 rifles utilize a new rear sight that is only graduated to 800 meters.

If your gun is a No. 1 Mk III* it is a .303 British.

While there's not a lot of information to back this up, the switch to .308 (and resultant nickel vanadium high strength receivers), was a result of increasing tensions and a border war between India and China ca. 1962-63.

Interestingly enough, for some reason, the Indians elected to manufacture more of the .303 British calibre rifles into the 1980's, after ceasing production of the 2A .308s.

Last edited by gyvel; January 25, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Claddagh

Usually, the dead giveaway will be the shape of the magazine. .303 Ishy's have the familiar, rounded SMLE type and 7.62x51 a more "squared-off" look. Also, it will be marked with the model designation on the "collar" where the butt stock attaches. As was said, if it's marked "No.1 Mk. III*" it will be .303; if "No.2" or "No.2A1", it will be 7.62 NATO. Caliber should also be marked on the collar. It is on my own No.2A1 and .410 "Prison Musket".
Old January 26, 2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Opsic66

Well you folks are correct. There seems to be just enough info to give you a clue in the right direction. And that's about it.

Sure enough, she IS marked as a No.1 MK III*. There are NO caliber markings on the rifle (that I can find yet).. The magazine IS rounded.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_7777.jpg

I did notice something that is a bit concerning. While dry firing, the bolt handle rises upwards a bit. So I have not considered firing the rifle until I can inspect that further. Headspace check, and firing function (with a snap cap of course).

Other then that. She's rough and ugly looking. Just how I like my relics! The chamber and barrel bore (lands and grooves) look excellent. Very sharp and without a proper bore light. I did not detect any pitting at all in the barrel.
Old January 26, 2011, 03:15 AM   #6
PIGMAN

If there is any doubt as to the caliber of any rifle have your gunsmith do a casting of the chamber.
Old January 26, 2011, 06:25 AM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
if "No.2" or "No.2A1", it will be 7.62 NATO. Caliber should also be marked on the collar.
Just to clear up a minor technicality, Ishapore .308/7.62 rifles are "2A" and "2A1", NOT "No.2A" or "No.2A1."

Having looked at your picture, Opsic, you have a No. 1 Mk III* that was "wire wrapped" to keep the stock from splintering whilst using the granade launcher.

Also, it is common for the bolt to "rise" a few degrees when dry firing on an empty chamber. I would say that 7 out of every 10 No. 1 Mk IIIs do that. Nothing to worry about. If you lube the inside of the bolt and grease the firing pin spring, it should abate a bit.

As far as head spacing is concerned, gauges are available for that, but any well stocked gunsmith should have a set. More than likely, if your bolt and receiver serials are matching, you don't have a problem, particularly if the bore is as nice and shiny as you say it is.
Old January 26, 2011, 06:29 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
It should only take looking at the magazine and bolt face to tell you if it's a 7,62 nato caliber "ishy" .
Unfortunately, no. The bolt faces on either are identical, i.e. flat. The main difference lies with the extractor which is longer for the .308.

Also, about ten years ago there were some aftermarket mags made for the .303 rifles that, while true junk, looked like the square bottom 2A .308 mags.