The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2006, 06:12 PM   #26
SavageSniper

When I was stationed in Germany, I got minor frostbite on my right foot. I was told to use Goretex socks. I just put then on over my regular GI green socks with my jumpboots. What a huge improvement. I was sold on them for the rest of my tour. No need for them here in North Florida. I just wear my snakeproof flip-flops
Old October 27, 2006, 06:34 PM   #27
Glenn Bartley

The thing about cold feet on a hunting trip is that it is not always solved by more insulation if you are repeating mistakes made on earlier trips.

First and foremost wehile hunting, especially on a stand, keep your head warm. If your head statys warm so will your feet and hands.

Secondly, and more directly involved with your feet, do not wear snug fitting socks or tight boots. Your feet should have some room to move in your boots, and the socks should fit but not feel tight at all. The reason for this, is that once they feel snug or tight, you are cuting off circulation ijn your capillaries ever so slightly. This, combined with circulation to your extremities already having been cut because your head is a little cold - which is an automatic response by the body - means even less circulation to your extremes. Therefore the feet get cold.

If you use polypropalene socks under wool you should be okay as far as perspiration goes because the polypropalene wicks moisture away from the skin. You can also just use wool, or heck I use just cotton socks sometimes when it is in the 20s and my feet stay warm, so long as they are not tight, and stay dry.

Then get a waterproof boot that breathes. I use insulated boots sometimes, and sometimes just regular leather boots. The insulated ones I have have about 400 grams of thinsulate. My feet stay toasty; but I must point out that when my boots are a bit too tight either because I am wearing really thick socks, or I have sized em wrong by buying them in my regular size and not a half size bigger to fit those bulky socks my feet still freeze! If this is the case I change to a thinner sock and the foot stays warmer.

Boot and sock sizing are extrtemely important in keeping your feet warm; but then again so is a good warm hat. Don't forget these considerations when you hunt, then you will stay warmer.

All the best,
GB
Old September 25, 2010, 10:13 AM   #28
hooligan1

I use the tightest waterproof boot that I can get on my feet because we usually hunt a mile or so from my truck. Currently I'm wearing a pair of RedHead Bone-Dry neoprener knee high boots. about 55 bux at BP. Also what 9mm1033 replied about those texans,,,hehehehe that's funny, I dont' care who you are!!! I'm really not into getting my feet all sweaty then setting in frigid conditions until they're numb! So the farther you walk maybe the less grams on thinsulate needed. Say they have those zip-up boot covers for sub zero protection, but the enviroment here in North Missouri doesn't dictate the use of them, for me. Rubber boots are a must for My deer hunting, be it uninsulated or insulated, I never leave home without them!!! Good luck hunting this season and be SAFE!!!

Last edited by hooligan1; September 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old September 25, 2010, 02:23 PM   #29
jmr40

Very old thread, but I have to make a couple of comments.

If it is -20 outside, it certainly won't also be wet.

I haven't owned a pair of insulated boots in about 10 years. I've found that a quality pair of leather hiking boots with good wool socks are plenty warm down to about 0. I change to dry socks as soon as I reach my stand and will alternate between the 2 pairs as the day goes along to be sure the socks on my feet are dry.

Loosening the laces, when standing still will allow for better circulation to your feet and will do wonders for keeping your feet warm.

Walking any distance in heavy insulated boots leads to sweaty cold feet no matter how much insulation. Same for wearing too many pairs of socks and having tightly laced boots. If the blood cannot circulate to your feet, they will never get warm.

Wearing a good warm head covering is the best way I've found to keep my feet warm. If your body is losing heat from your head or core, it will stop sending blood to your feet and hands.
Old September 25, 2010, 02:50 PM   #30
Deerhunter

I have a pair of 200 gram insulated boots that I wear almost all season. I just put those full foot warmers in them. The ones that are shaped like insoles and are activated by the air. I don't like big clunky boots when I am up in a tree stand. My feet still get cold up in PA when I have been out for hours and the temps are down to 20. Been looking to get a pair of 600 or 800 gram for late season but can't find a pair that fit right and aren't clunky.

The thing I like about the 200 gram with the foot warmers is that when we are walking / pushing they are comfortable and not heavy. When I am going to sit I drop the foot warmers in and my feet stay warm. Unless it gets really cold.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:27 PM   #31
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
when it gets in the 30's, its time to go home and sit in front of the fireplace and roast marshmellows.
We don't even bother with socks till it gets down to 30, at 20 we put shoes on, if the snow is over 2' deep we exchange our shorts for long pants. Insulation is desirable when it gets so cold that pouring hot coffee from a thermos freezes before it hits the ground, then we add anti-freeze. About 85 proof is about right. Sorry to hear you have severe weather down there in Texas, maybe we can spare a few 40 degree days and send them down to you so you can thaw out. Seriously I have 3 pair of Pac boots, 2 leather and one rubberized and I rotate them so I'm not wearing the same boot everyday for a week or two. They get plenty of time to dry between wearing and my feet seem to appreciate the change. One pair of uninsulated boots for those warm days, yeah we have them every once in awhile.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 25, 2010, 10:29 PM   #32
HighExpert

I use Rocky boots with 1200gr of thinsulate. They are great for stalking, walking to the stand or recovery-tracking. They are light on warmth to sit all day in 20 degree weather. For that I use insulated booties that zip on in the stand. I have never had cold feet with them. This gives you the same layering ability with your feet that you spend big money on with the rest of your hunting clothes. You end up with boots you can hike in if needed and not get your feet sweaty.