The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 27, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1
ClemBert

Ballistol for Lubricated Felt Wads?

Anyone here use non-aerosol Ballistol to make your lubricated felt wads with? Was curious to know how it might perform and if they'd be too "wet". Was also thinking about using BoreButter. Currently using Crisco/Beeswax mix.
Old July 27, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Balistol is too wet. Bore butter would work; bit it works better when mixed with beeswax.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 27, 2010, 06:52 PM   #3
denster

Anyone ever try ballistol and beeswax?
Old July 27, 2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Hawg

Is better and cheaper stuff to make lubes out of. Beeswax and crisco or olive oil is fine.
Old July 28, 2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Noz

I dip my wads in hot pearl lube.
Old July 28, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemBert
Anyone here use non-aerosol Ballistol to make your lubricated felt wads with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
Balistol is too wet. Bore butter would work; bit it works better when mixed with beeswax.
If the wads are prepared using the proper solution of Ballistol mixed with water then it should not be too wet.
That's because many folks very successfully use Ballistol mixed in various aqueous percentages to "dry lube" their shooting patch material with. Some have even touted about how they use it straight without mixing it with water at all. Then of course only a few drops are needed per patch.

Folks generally mix up batches of Ballistol using anywhere from 1 to 4 parts water to 1 to 7 parts water.
They they'll apply it to the patch material using a spray bottle as liberally as their experience has determined works best for their needs, and then place the material out to let the water dry away leaving only the evenly distributed Ballistol behind.
There will be a small amount of lube impregnated into the patch relative to the strength of the solution, but the amount of greasy wetness will be more or less negligible if done properly.

Last edited by arcticap; July 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old July 28, 2010, 06:29 PM   #7
ClemBert

That's a great idea arcticap. I'll give it the ol' college try sometime and see how it works out.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Slowhand

Ballistol

I just picked up an aerosol spray can and a 12 oz bottle of liquid Ballistol from Brownells. I'm going to use it to do some lube and cleaning with. Sounds like making a few wads with it wouldn't be a bad idea.

The little red tube wouldn't fit into the nozzle, I tried a few other tops but no go. I called Brownells yesterday and they're sending a replacement via UPS. Nice of them considering how much I've spent with them over the years.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 5, 2010 at 01:48 PM.