The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1
jdscholer

RCBS Piggy-back

Anybody out there still using a Piggy-back progressive, or am I the only dinosaur? I'm thinkin of starting a 12 step group if anyone is interested. jd
Old December 7, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2
jdscholer

The crickets chirp. The coyotes howl. No one knows what a Piggy-back progressive is. I must be gettin old. jd
Old December 7, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
winchester243

edited, didn't catch you were talking to yourself.

I know what a piggy-back is, but by the time I wanted to get a progressive the Pro2000 was out so I went with that rather than upgrade the rock chucker.

Probably not many here used one is why you aren't getting any responses.

Last edited by winchester243; December 7, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:49 PM   #4
DEDON45

I've heard of them before; indeed, over 15 years ago (or so) I remember drooling over the RCBS equipment catalog and that very item... at the time I was reloading on my stepfather's Lee Challenger single stage (and suffering multiple breakages of the linkages)... When I decided to get back into reloading about 8 months ago, I decided to go a Hornady LnL AP (I later bought a Hornady single stage for small batches, pulling bullets, etc.).
Old December 8, 2008, 12:35 AM   #5
jdscholer

Well then it looks like I might well be one of the only and lonely guys using one; unless the others just won't come out of the closet. I can't say that it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Kinda like buying an AMC Gremlin. jd
Old December 8, 2008, 12:57 PM   #6
mrayw

piggyback

I came close to a piggy#3 but glad I waited as I got a pro2000 second straight from rcbs for $350 and it had lots of extra parts thrown in. It was new but used for a show somewherel I already had two hornady lnl's with casefeeders but like the pro 2000 much better. The 2000 is simple and just works. How do you like your pig,which number do you have?
Old December 8, 2008, 01:15 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Yes, I have one setup for 45ACP right now. Us it as a two stage affair right now. Size, then clean primer pockets, seat fresh primers, then run them through for loading. When I get the Cougar and Hunter setup that will be for 45's. The piggyback will changed over to 9MM.
Old December 8, 2008, 01:41 PM   #8
ZeSpectre

Just a single stager here.
The piggy looks interesting but I've discovered that I can outrun the reloading budged (especially with the cost of bullets right now) pretty quickly as it sits so if I went progressive my fun would be over too fast
Old December 8, 2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Inspector3711

I have a reloader special 5 which is compatable with the piggy back 3.. I got my press for free as a hand me down and I was pretty excited when I read about the piggy back in the manual for my press. Then i started looking at the prices and decided that for over $300 I could keep my press as is and buy a turret press later if need be. Seems like $329 is steep for an add on piece.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:41 PM   #10
jdscholer

Mine is a Piggyback 2. I got it for about $200 when it was new in probably late 80s. It's ----OK but not wonderful. Ya really have to pay attention and nursemaid it along. The primer system gives me the most problems.
I leave it set up for 357 only. After I get warmed up and a steady flow going, I spit out about 200 per hour. Quality is good, and I've never had a squib except for the ones where I reseated a spent primer. I weed those out when I box the shells, pull bullets and redo.
I've never used another progressive, but I'd like to to compare. thanx. jd