The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 22, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1
JCN60

Michigan hog hunt - ever hear of it?

First post. Looking to find out about a hog hunt in Michigan. Name of the place is "HOG WILD". Anyone ever heard anything about it, good or bad? Thanks for your help!

I would add that I've enjoyed this forum alot in the past.
Old January 22, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Welcome to TFL! Any number can play.

Didn't turn up on Google. I dunno. Try at some huntin'/fishin' hangout...

Best luck,

Art
Old January 22, 2006, 09:56 PM   #3
youp

There is an outfit south of Marquette that might be the one you are looking for, I will check on it tomorrow.
Old January 22, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4
JCN60

Hog hunt

I probably should have added more info to my initial post. I have been on the "Hog Wild" web site and have booked a hunt already for later on. What I wanted to know was if any of you have hunted there. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Old January 22, 2006, 10:31 PM   #5
Long Path

Looks like you mean maybe this place?

Quote:
Hog Wild currently consists of a 65 acre hunting area The original stock of hogs came from Canada about seven years ago and until recently we have been breeding and raising our own. Our hogs are not kept in a barn and let out as hunters arrive, they are born and raised out in the reserve, so they are wild! When you hunt you will see a variety of sizes ranging from newborns to 350 lbs.
That's a mighty small area to be "hunting" in...
A "reserve" sounds fenced. I know guys with back yards that make 65 acres.

They've got some great-looking hogs there, but I would want to know that they ranged free.
Old January 23, 2006, 09:23 PM   #6
JCN60

Hog hunt

Yep..that's it! Five hours from my house. Sixty-five (?) acres. Hopefully no swamp wadin' or mount'n climb'n. Only have 2 days. Handguns mostly. One guy is bringing his new Cape Buffalo rifle. I'll let you all know how it works out.

I'm sure the place is fenced as it would probably be illegal to introduce "Russian" hogs to any place unfenced in Michigan. Heck, in Wisconsin it's probably illegal to even offer a Hog hunt.
Old January 23, 2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Long Path

65 acres is a piece of land just a tad over 500 yards by 600 yards. In other words, you can't range a half mile without reaching the insides of the fence, even on the diagonal. [Pythagorus says the diagonal would be 781yards of that rectangle, and 1/2 mile is well over 800 yards.]

Hmmmm. . .

"Hunting" means that you might not see any game.

"Hunting" means that nothing is guarenteed.

"Hunting" means a fair chase.

Nothing wrong with hunting small plats of land, so long as the game can come and go.

Nothing wrong with hunting big plats of fenced land, so long as the game can be hidden and I might go home empty-handed.
Old January 23, 2006, 11:26 PM   #8
impact

65 acers. Fenced . Thats one of those places where you walk out and chose your "game" and shoot it. Thats no fun! heck I might walk two miles of river bottom looking for hog signs. I get all excited when I find a hog waller.
Old January 24, 2006, 07:36 AM   #9
youp

The trouble is Texas is a very long way from here. That place is only a few miles from here. There seem to be a few hunting preserves popping up around.

There is not too much snow this year, I think you will be able too get around just fine. I am not experienced at this type of operation, but I do have a friend that raises hogs for some of the preserves. He seems to think that a 5 gallon bucket and a stick make an excellent call. I sincerely hope that you enjoy your trip.